AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Title Fight - Shed Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.72
Musicianship 8.77
Lyrics 8.6
Production 8.7
Creativity 8.27
Lasting Value 8.48
Reviewer Tilt 8.05
Average: 85%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Title Fight - Shed

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (05/05/11)
Title FightShed
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Record Label: Side One Dummy

I'd like to take this opportunity to reintroduce Title Fight to the punk rock community. You see, despite releasing a handful of 7 inches and EP's, the band never seems to be one of the first bands mentioned among the “new wave” of pop-punk bands. While some of those bands have decided to amp up their sound to bigger and faster standards, the boys from Kingston, PA, decided hop into the punk rock DeLorean for their proper debut album, Shed. The twelve tracks on Shed shy away from the hooky pop-punk sound and settles into a more melodic hardcore groove – taking inspiration from classic acts like Lifetime and Shook Ones. This shouldn't come as a surprise, as they worked with legendary producer, Walter Schreifels, who was no doubt a major influence on the overall sound.

It's fair to say that a lot of their older fans will be disappointed with Shed after initial listens, but the consistency and cohesiveness of the album will eventually make permanent residency in your head Sure faster songs are easier to digest, and this album still features those type of songs. Look no further than “Coxton Yard,” “Your Screen Door,” and “You Can't Say Kingston Doesn't Love You.” But it's the slower, more complete tracks like “Crescent-Shaped Depression” that will keep your attention over the long term. The track balances the past and the future of the band perfectly – infectious hooky energy with a mature mid-tempo pace that buzzes in and out.

Jamie Rhoden's strained vocals take the lead throughout Shed, minimizing the dual-vocal approach heard frequently on The Last Thing You Forget. This isn't a bad thing, as Rhoden shreds through the album, such on the raucous title track or the gritty “Flood of '72,” which shows off the abrasive rhythm stylings of drummer Ben Russin and bassist Ned Russin. The dual-vocal attack is used perfectly on “Stab,” which was born to be screamed along to live, while “Society” manages to show off some nice guitar leads from Shane Moran in less than a minute and a half.

Title Fight tear through Shed and get their message across in just under a half hour, proving they can just be as frantic and urgent as ever while also expanding their sound. “GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)” is the perfect example of this. It begins with sludgy guitar tones and slowly builds into a pulverizing chorus. It's quite simply the most intense and engaging the band has ever been, and closes Shed brilliantly. While the album drags in some places (“Safe In Your Skin” being the main offender), Shed is the right album for those who don't want their pop-punk bands opting for breakdowns. Rhoden croons,“Maybe there's nothing/only this moment,” on the near-perfect alt-rock of “Where Am I?,” and it serves as a testament from Title Fight that they much rather grab their chance at making something worthwhile than becoming the next big thing.

8/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Coxton Yard
2. Shed
3. Flood Of '72
4. Society
5. You Can't Say Kingston Doesn't Love You
6. Crescent-Shaped Depression
7. Safe In Your Skin
8. Where Am I?
9. Your Screen Door
10. 27
11. Stab
12. GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)
Produced by: Walter Schreifels

Title Fight is:
Jamie Rhoden - vocals/guitar
Ned Russin - bass/vocals
Shane Moran - guitar
Ben Russin - drums

Official Website; Official Facebook Profile; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 70
02:04 AM on 05/05/11
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Nice review. I love this album.
08:24 AM on 05/05/11
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Ah, didn't realize this was out yet! Good review.
09:00 AM on 05/05/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Really quite good.
09:10 AM on 05/05/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Good review. Really like this album. I bought it only after listening to Symmetry a couple times and I am not disappointed. Love Shed and Stab too much
09:22 AM on 05/05/11
NegativeCreep
I'm just a stupid worthless boy
User Info.
Good review. Except I think "Safe In Your Skin" is my favorite track on the record, it sort of introduces the slower, heavier side of the album.
09:29 AM on 05/05/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Hit the nail on the head with this one.
09:33 AM on 05/05/11
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I love Shook Ones, but classic?

Also, "Safe in Your Skin" is my favorite song on this. Pure Jawbreaker/Seaweed worship.
09:37 AM on 05/05/11
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
Best band. I hope easycore kids are pissed.
10:23 AM on 05/05/11
G apostrophe Ra
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Are you certain that's Jamie singing lead on "27?" It sounds an awful lot like Ned to me.
10:31 AM on 05/05/11
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thought this record was a tad boring the first time I listened to it. I've given it about sixty spins since then and I'm completely in love. But yes, Safe in Your Skin is probably not going to grow on me any time soon.

I disagree with the opening statement, though. I have always considered Title Fight to be one of the most popular of the pop-punk revivalists. I've only been listening to them since like February, but I've been hearing about them for years. I couldn't get away from the name Title Fight, so I finally checked them out. And thank fuck that I did.
10:32 AM on 05/05/11
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
This album is growing on me listen after listen, never thought I'd enjoyed this so much.
10:32 AM on 05/05/11
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Are you certain that's Jamie singing lead on "27?" It sounds an awful lot like Ned to me.
It is most definitely Ned. I think he may referring to the guitar playing, though.
10:35 AM on 05/05/11
Hindenburg
DIY Guy
User Info.
great review, but some of the spots you noted are switched around as far as who plays it or sings it
10:53 AM on 05/05/11
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Great review, but I think the score you gave it is a bit low. Maybe I'm biased because I absolutely love the album, but I think it should be at least 87%.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums