Password

Album Review
Renae - Renae EP Album Cover

Renae - Renae EP

Reviewed by
Renae Renae
Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 22, 2006

Renae: 1. the middle name of band founders Ben and Adam Dewitt's deceased mother, 2. signifying the notion of a rebirth or resurrection; applies to the band, considering they are a revived and revamped variation of the band Omelas, once atop the St. Louis scene.

Amidst the repetition and mediocrity that plagues the modern music scene, there are few bands that bring true talent and creativity to their listeners, along with any kind of substance residing in their music; St. Louis band Renae does just that. With dazzling guitar work, impressive drumming, and charismatic vocals, Renae has built a solid fan base since forming in late 2005.

The group's self-titled EP initially lures the listener in with a healthy dose of pop appeal as the first two tracks, entitled "Bright Eyes" and "Follow Me," display a catchy brand of post-hardcore. While the former takes on a cinematic approach, sporting the group's trademark accumulative approach, the latter displays a softer side of the band, rarely seen in other musical arenas.

Following a short, mood-setting instrumental track, the cd's final three tracks amaze even the most reluctant listener. All three tracks sport great musicianship, with one of the best guitar duos around and offer a great deal of power for the ever-present metal-head pit-thrashers. If one doubts these claims, the precedent resonates blissfully within the EP's final track, "Loud and Clear," which is initially a catchy, heart-felt psalm which then takes a hard turn, earning its own fame in the local underground and drawing comparisons to Underoath's "Some Seek Forgiveness Others Escape."

While the vocals and production are average, which is considerable given the budget, this album radiates talent and amazing potential; definitely worth a listen.

Track Listing
1. Bright Eyes
2. Follow Me
3. Interlude
4. It's All Fun and Games
5. Betty Matthews
6. Loud and Clear
This review is a user submitted review from speakhandsforme. You can see all of speakhandsforme's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:10 PM on 12/01/08
DarkOne
Registered Loser
User Info.
i want to see the review on their new cd!
02:20 PM on 12/04/08
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
User Info.
i want to see the review on their new cd!
Ahh, my first review: the authorships is well-below current norms but I still stand by every sentiment expressed in this review. This EP still has a special place in my collection.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos