AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Stateside Menace, The - 05.02.11

The Stateside Menace - 05.02.11

Interviewed by
The Stateside Menace - 05.02.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Stateside Menace

http://statesidemenace.bandcamp.com
http://facebook.com/statesidemenace
http://twitter.com/statesidemenace

1. How did you get your band name?
It took a REALLY long time. I started writing and recording on my own as Stateside back in 2004, and when I moved to Nashville I found out another band already had that name. I made a huge list of about 100 names and in the end The Stateside Menace is what stuck. It represents my love of British music and it sounds like a throwback to the days of the Red Scare. I like that.

2. How did this band get started?

I took a trip to England a couple years ago and I was really inspired by what I saw and heard there. They have a lot of interest in all kinds of music and the hardcore punk district looks the same way it did 30 years ago. On the plane ride back I thought I would try to put a band together to capture that kind of spirit.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
My biggest influence is definitely The Clash and all their side projects and solo careers. Manic Street Preachers, T. Rex, The Who, The Smiths...and then a whole different group of American influences. Mostly alt.country stuff like Whiskeytown, Wilco, The Jayhawks. Denison Marrs was the first "indie" band I heard and still the best. But I try to keep my ears open to anything interesting. I listen to a ton of rap.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I'd love to tour with The Clash and just get a better idea of what they were about and who they were as a group. The best songwriter out there right now is David Bazan and I think being his backing band would be a great experience. Jay-Z or the Wu-Tang Clan just to see what a rap tour is like.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Whiskey.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We have a unique perspective. We put a lot of work into our music and I think it pays off. It's catchy and thought-provoking; we try to make it as much of a rewarding experience as possible. Also, if you have a good system in your car the bass will move your soul.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Whoever the new FSU quarterback is this year. I love college football.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Probably all the same people as everyone else. My parents. My PS3.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would really try to find a way to make it less of a cutthroat place. In other countries there are grants and stipends that help bands develop. In the current economic climate it's going to suck to be a new band in the US for a long time, and unfortunately that's capitalism.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Pretty sure it hasn't happened yet.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It's a close-knit community and it's been around forever. That means a lot in a world where stuff seems to come and go overnight.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"A Quick One While He's Away" by The Who. As for our own songs, probably "Sugarshaker" or "Audrey Hepburn".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Any place with a hot tub. Vegas.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Lionel Ritchie, Thriller, "Careless Whisper", and Huey Lewis. That's pretty much what I listened to until grunge happened.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I think flying would be great. I'd try not to let anyone know I could do it, but every once in a while I'd sneak out in the middle of the night.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I try not to drink too much, and I try to think of some good jokes or observations. Always have those ready, because they can help turn a bad show into a good one.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We all have college degrees. Not incredibly useful ones, but still.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Radio is such a weird place right now. Music listeners are divided up and it's hard to reach everybody. Some people still listen to the radio every single day. Some people will never listen to it again for the rest of their lives. I like to think we have a place there, but who knows?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
PS3, cookouts, laser tag.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm pretty good at trivia.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums