AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Farewell Continental - iHey, Hey Pioneers! Album Cover

Farewell Continental - iHey, Hey Pioneers!

Reviewed by
Farewell ContinentaliHey, Hey Pioneers!
Record Label: Paper+Plastick Records
Release Date: May 10, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Farewell Continental is a band about as odd as they come. Although, one must realize that is the point of the group, clearly. It’s only been about half a year since their release of EP #2, yet their growth is wholly evident throughout iHey, Hey Pioneers!, as both the vocals of Richard Kimble (Justin Pierre) and Allie Fox have clearly found an even better chemistry together. And as expected, the humor is still here, evident within“Immolated.”

It’s clear that the two vocalists work bests when playing off one another, most notably on the memorable “Capybara” and the softer “New Tile Floor.” However, at times, it can be hard to take any part of Farewell Continental seriously, due to everything from the album artwork to the downright hilarious lyrical content. Still, as a band meant to have fun, at least Farewell Continental are incredibly talented and enjoyable to listen to. Kimble shines throughout the opening “Seasoned Veterans” as all ears are on him throughout the track.

The main separating of this record that is diverse from their previous EPs is the structure and pace, as select tracks throughout iHey, Hey Pioneers! are much more punk-oriented. The blistering “Who’s The Boss?” tops this category, clocking in at just under two minutes, as well as the fast-paced “Mad Operator.” Some tracks (“Radio, Radio: Are You Getting This?”) are poppy, on the other hand, and those are sure to be a Motion City Soundtrack fan’s favorite tracks.

While those parts shine, a myriad of tracks on this record are just odd and confusing. The spacey, fuzzy “Dagger, Dagger: Terror, Terror” displays an unusual vocal arrangement and style, leaving an uncanny sound in the listener’s ears, while the following “The Greatest Of All Time” could be the strangest vocal performance of Farewell Continental yet, period. Again being another misfire, the grungy “The Explorer Settles Down” is an angry track, featuring anomalous guitar tones and deafening techniques in the final minute.

However, the “weird” tracks do work at times, as “I Feel Everything” is one of the most memorable moments on the record, displaying ideal harmony between Fox and Kimble through and through. The harmony continues on “The Reflecting Skin,” a track that would have been an ideal number to close on. Yet, the actual closer, “Tigers Claw” begins with Kimble’s peculiar speaking vocals, diminishing the quality of the two previous tracks. The closer does save itself – and iHey, Hey Pioneers! as a whole – as it comes to an end, as Kimble sings “no one has to wash your dreams away.” Thus, the end of the record is thankfully well-played.

All in all, iHey, Hey Pioneers! is abnormal and lacking any true structure or form to it. Farewell Continental toy with different styles throughout the record, leaving the listener slightly confused, although wholly immersed in the project, as it is clearly amusing and entertaining. The high points soar (“Radio, Radio: Are You Getting This?”), while other pieces are just too strange (“The Greatest Of All Time”). There’s no denying Farewell Continental are diverse, fun, and creative, which is, in the end, all that they wish to be. Mission accomplished.

Recommended If You LikeEP #2; Motion City Soundtrack mixed with female vocals; Harrison Ford film characters; comedy

Listen To Radio, Radio: Are You Getting This?; I Feel Everything (Can You Feel It As Well?); The Reflecting Skin

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Seasoned Veterans
2. Capybara
3. Who’s The Boss?
4. The Greatest Of All Time (How You Feelin’ Now?)
5. Dagger, Dagger: Terror, Terror
6. A Story From The Bottom Of The Sea
7. Immolated
8. New Tile Floor
9. Radio, Radio: Are You Getting This?
10. The Explorer Settles Down
11. Mad Operator
12. I Feel Everything (Can You Feel It As Well?)
13. The Reflecting Sin
14. Tiger Claw

Farewell Continental are:
Allie Fox – Vocals, Keyboard
Richard Kimble – Vocals, Guitar
Rick Deckard – Guitar, Vocals
Norma Spencer – Bass, Vocals
Jack Ryan – Drums, Vocals

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
07:33 PM on 05/08/11
cwhit412
User Info.
This album has been great. Was going to write a review but the copy I was sent only had 10 tracks, which sucks.
07:34 PM on 05/08/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
This album has been great. Was going to write a review but the copy I was sent only had 10 tracks, which sucks.
That's odd
07:36 PM on 05/08/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Yeah, and it was from the P+P Publicist too. And the weirdest part was that he checked it, and it had all 14 tracks. yet when I redownloaded it, it was only 10.
Oh well, It'll be fixed tomorrow and I'll get that done.
Enjoying this though, sounds like MCS with a female vocalist if they stayed with a similar sound from IATM. Do you hear that at all?
07:39 PM on 05/08/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Yeah, and it was from the P+P Publicist too. And the weirdest part was that he checked it, and it had all 14 tracks. yet when I redownloaded it, it was only 10.
Oh well, It'll be fixed tomorrow and I'll get that done.
Enjoying this though, sounds like MCS with a female vocalist if they stayed with a similar sound from IATM. Do you hear that at all?
Gotcha.

Hm yeah I can see that. Although there are a few tracks I really dislike the vocals on on this record.
07:49 PM on 05/08/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Gotcha.

Hm yeah I can see that. Although there are a few tracks I really dislike the vocals on on this record.

That's one of the reasons I can't get into IATM. the vocals are really raw, and just unenjoyable to me.
06:33 AM on 05/09/11
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
I don't think it's quite as strange as the review makes it out to be. It may not flow super well, but I still really like it.

Biggest sore spot for me was the lack of production value unless they were going for a slightly more lo-fi sound.
07:23 AM on 05/09/11
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Biggest sore spot for me was the lack of production value unless they were going for a slightly more lo-fi sound.
They were, they want it to sound messy and kinda raw.

It's streaming here if anyone wants to listen:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/16

Also, I don't see what's so strange about “The Greatest Of All Time”, I love that and “Dagger, Dagger: Terror, Terror”.
07:32 AM on 05/09/11
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Saying something is 'Motion City Soundtrack mixed with female vocals' is the quickest way a person can ever possibly get me to listen to something.
09:25 AM on 05/09/11
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like this album lot better than My Dinosaur Life. Justin's vocals play so well with others (Allie, Patrick Stump..etc.) . It feels like this music just came out very naturally. Everyone knows Justin makes quirky music, so this just feels right. It's exciting to know both of his bands could have albums out this year.
10:08 AM on 05/09/11
drpepper09
Good Morning Shipwreck
User Info.
If anyone listened to this album and expected anything other than odd, lo-fi, humor, and a more punkish sound, then they clearly did not understand the purpose of this band.
11:17 AM on 05/09/11
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
Really enjoying this. Listened to the stream and was going to make notes which tracks to buy, but after track five I realized I was going to like this whole record.

Really want to blast this in my car but that artwork is so ugly I can't bring myself to get a physical copy.
11:45 AM on 05/09/11
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Really enjoying this. Listened to the stream and was going to make notes which tracks to buy, but after track five I realized I was going to like this whole record.

Really want to blast this in my car but that artwork is so ugly I can't bring myself to get a physical copy.
Haha, I love the artwork.
11:46 AM on 05/09/11
robotscantlove
User Info.
Why such a low score on lyrics?
I can't imagine Justin doing anything with lyrics that aren't at least pretty good..
12:07 PM on 05/09/11
josh8282
I feel so L.M.N.O.P.
User Info.
Not a fan of this review, I don't understand most of the complaints either.

Fantastic album, better than My Dinosaur Life.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos