Username
Password
AP.net Reviews News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Reviews
Inside AP.net

Retro Reviews: The Springsteen Series Pt. I

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (05/09/11)
Today we're debuting a new feature called Retro Reviews. In this feature, reviewers will be going back in time to give retrospective reviews of notable albums. Today's post is the first in a four-part installment that I'm calling the Springsteen Series. Each of the remaining Mondays in May will see me post four reviews of Bruce Springsteen records or live shows, totaling 16 reviews to reflect his 16 studio albums. Here are the first four:

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Bruce Springsteen - Live At Hammersmith Odeon, 1975

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56.
01:13 PM on 05/09/11
Meeze
PropertyOfZack.com
User Info.
you're closing in on being my hero with this series. The Boss is the closest thing to a god in my life.
01:16 PM on 05/09/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
this is an absolutely great idea
01:17 PM on 05/09/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
You finally did it! Excited to read them.
01:18 PM on 05/09/11
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
So here's my question: are there going to be reviews of shitty/unpopular albums by mainstream artists included in this series, or just big hits? It was pretty predictable that every album was going to be within the 95-100 scale here. I'd much rather see you give an honest critique of what didn't work on a record than just wax poetic about records we already know are classics.

Just my two cents.
01:23 PM on 05/09/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
you're closing in on being my hero with this series. The Boss is the closest thing to a god in my life.
this is an absolutely great idea
You finally did it! Excited to read them.
Thank you, guys! Not my best review-writing, as it was hard to put so much I wanted to say into each review. I feel like I could have written a small book about his early works. But I hope they're read-able.
So here's my question: are there going to be reviews of shitty/unpopular albums by mainstream artists included in this series, or just big hits? It was pretty predictable that every album was going to be within the 95-100 scale here. I'd much rather see you give an honest critique of what didn't work on a record than just wax poetic about records we already know are classics.

Just my two cents.
I am actually quite interested in doing retro reviews of classics that I don't agree with. Probably will be a lot of Led Zeppelin and Beatles on there. I don't know if it will ever happen, though, just because these take a HUGE chunk of time to write. The future of this feature is probably 10-year anniversary reviews (think NFG's Sticks and Stones, for example), and maybe like 25- or 30-year anniversaries. I'm going to do Boston's self-titled for its 35th anniversary.
01:27 PM on 05/09/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Thomas, I know this has nothing to do with it, but I think it's hilarious that I started doing retro reviews (though not even close to as old) yesterday.
01:30 PM on 05/09/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
This is insanely awesome.
01:34 PM on 05/09/11
themagicrat
Winnie Cooper is a goddamned whore
User Info.
Very interested to see how someone from outside of NJ/NY and DC handles The Rising.
01:35 PM on 05/09/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Thank you, guys! Not my best review-writing, as it was hard to put so much I wanted to say into each review. I feel like I could have written a small book about his early works. But I hope they're read-able.

I am actually quite interested in doing retro reviews of classics that I don't agree with. Probably will be a lot of Led Zeppelin and Beatles on there. I don't know if it will ever happen, though, just because these take a HUGE chunk of time to write. The future of this feature is probably 10-year anniversary reviews (think NFG's Sticks and Stones, for example), and maybe like 25- or 30-year anniversaries. I'm going to do Boston's self-titled for its 35th anniversary.

You guys should let me write one of these. Preferably one on Bob Dylan.
01:37 PM on 05/09/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Any chance you'd take retro user reviews? God knows I'd write a few.
01:38 PM on 05/09/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Very interested to see how someone from outside of NJ/NY and DC handles The Rising.
My top five by him. Going to be the hardest to review because of the content.
01:39 PM on 05/09/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I don't know about user ones. Let's see how the feature does after I finish up my Springsteen ones.
01:45 PM on 05/09/11
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
Scores now need to be adjusted. If you have The Wonder Years or Metro Station above a 25%, these albums should be hitting five or six hundred.
01:45 PM on 05/09/11
Eva Friedman
Keep Calm And Carry On
User Info.
This is such a cool idea
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music