Username
Password
Mayday Parade News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 84.
01:22 PM on 05/10/11
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
I love Lancaster, but I do think Derek is a talented guy and the rest of the band is also better than that shitty release would indicate.

I still listen to A Lesson In Romantics pretty often. I listened to the other album maybe one and a half times. It was fucking terrible. I hope they mean what they say here and they come up with something legitimate. If they don't, they're done, or at least should be.

I don't think it's lame, necessarily. Bands should always be evolving and trying new things, but there will be plenty of times when that doesn't work out. Most bands have a particular sound that "fits" them best. It doesn't automatically mean they're trying to clone the initial successful release.

Not that I would have a problem with A Lesson In Romantics Pt. 2...
True, but it wasn't like the new stuff was a huge stretch from their old music. It was more poppy, but their first album is nothing amazing. What I'm trying to say is the band just sets itself backwards when they have to run after their core audience that they might have lost a bit from their last cd, and that in a way stunts their growth. Haven't heard any music so I can't say exactly what they did yet. It will be interesting to see if they made an album better than the last two.
01:25 PM on 05/10/11
emocobra666
User Info.
but i liked it but i love the last ep more then the last cd cuz terrible things rocks
01:26 PM on 05/10/11
anamericangod
User Info.
True, but it wasn't like the new stuff was a huge stretch from their old music. It was more poppy, but their first album is nothing amazing. What I'm trying to say is the band just sets itself backwards when they have to run after their core audience that they might have lost a bit from their last cd, and that in a way stunts their growth. Haven't heard any music so I can't say exactly what they did yet. It will be interesting to see if they made an album better than the last two.
Fair enough, but ALIR was one of my favorite records from that year so for me I noticed a huge difference. They can't put out anything worse than the last album in my opinion, so hopefully they get their shit together.
01:29 PM on 05/10/11
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
I love Lancaster, but I do think Derek is a talented guy and the rest of the band is also better than that shitty release would indicate.

I still listen to A Lesson In Romantics pretty often. I listened to the other album maybe one and a half times. It was fucking terrible. I hope they mean what they say here and they come up with something legitimate. If they don't, they're done, or at least should be.
Of course, they are very nice dudes and good musicians, and Derek is a very good vocalist. But it seems to me that without Lancaster, they lost their particular sound that made them so unique and recognizable in comparison with some of the scene's pop rock/pop punk bands.
And, of course, I still listen to A Lesson In Romantics too...
01:29 PM on 05/10/11
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band sucks but that's beside the point.

If you're a band and you sign to a major label, use co-writers, etc. cool. Just HAVE SOME FUCKING INTEGRITY. The whole "yeah, we weren't so into our last album either because the big evil major label was forcing us to be more commercial" excuse is old and I don't really buy it half the time.
01:32 PM on 05/10/11
anamericangod
User Info.
Of course, they are very nice dudes and good musicians, and Derek is a very good vocalist. But it seems to me that without Lancaster, they lost their particular sound that made them so unique and recognizable in comparison with some of the scene's pop rock/pop punk bands.
And, of course, I still listen to A Lesson In Romantics too...
He is a great writer and brought an edge to the band that is definitely now missing. Even Tales Told By Dead Friends is still a great listen.

And the new Go Radio album was pretty solid, but I imagine you already know that.
01:35 PM on 05/10/11
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
He is a great writer and brought an edge to the band that is definitely now missing. Even Tales Told By Dead Friends is still a great listen.

And the new Go Radio album was pretty solid, but I imagine you already know that.
Yeah, it's a really good album! I think will be in my EOTY top 20.
01:36 PM on 05/10/11
anamericangod
User Info.
Yeah, it's a really good album! I think will be in my EOTY top 20.
Same. Only complaint I have about it is the flow, but for a debut, it is good.
01:38 PM on 05/10/11
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
This band sucks but that's beside the point.

If you're a band and you sign to a major label, use co-writers, etc. cool. Just HAVE SOME FUCKING INTEGRITY. The whole "yeah, we weren't so into our last album either because the big evil major label was forcing us to be more commercial" excuse is old and I don't really buy it half the time.
Haha I completely agree. They knew what they were getting into, and were probably happy to record those songs in hopes they'd get bigger off of them(that's usually the reason bands sign to majors right? to get bigger). But the cd wasn't really good imo so it didn't surprise me when none of the singles caught on(Album sold very poorly as well).
01:39 PM on 05/10/11
ABSOLiat
User Info.
Excuses excuses. Lets be real - it sounds like he's quoting all the replies on AbsolutePunk where people were speculating as to what went wrong with Anywhere But Here.

Unfortunately, in previous interviews when ABH was released, Justin discussed how proud he was of the album and the music etc. Hindsight is 20/20 so claiming now that 'it was the label's fault' just seems like BS.

Above all else, Jason essentially wrote every song/lyric on ALIR. Ultimately, him not being in the band is the number one reason why Anywhere But Here wasn't good. Because he wasn't there to make it good.
01:40 PM on 05/10/11
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
David Bendeth has a heavy hand with every artist he's worked with. He doesn't allow for much creative control because he "knows what he's doing".

Just look at Paramore and There For Tomorrow. Paramore went on to write their best record after, and I'm sure There For Tomorrow and Mayday Parade will do the same.
01:41 PM on 05/10/11
ABSOLiat
User Info.
Excuses excuses. "We are terrible. Who can we blame for that?"

Accurate.

Label's influence or not, without Jason Lancaster they're just a generic pop rock band.

EVEN MORE ACCURATE.
01:42 PM on 05/10/11
earthtotom
hawktom
User Info.
i feel like mayday parade has the talent to make good music, i just feel they lack the depth of being able to write meaningful lyrics...like the way jason can in his sleep.
01:43 PM on 05/10/11
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
Last album did suck, minus Kids in Love, but I wouldnt give up on them that fast. They could still easily turn themselves around.
01:46 PM on 05/10/11
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.

This. I always thought Jason and Derrick were the modern day "Lazzara/Mascherino", just a great songwriting duo. And I agree with your Go Radio comment, my only gripe is the record is too long, it really would have benefitted if it were 11 songs, maybe 12.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums