Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 34
12:18 PM on 05/11/11
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
this is probably 2 or 3 spots back for me. I don't think anything will overcome ManOrch. but yeah, i remember being so nervous before playing this the first time. And by, like, halfway through "Montezuma" I knew it was going to be a fantastic record.

i've checked out a lot of crap this year, so this was a breath of fresh air haha. this and probably 3-4 other albums are the only real stand outs for me. other albums show promise, but i haven't spent enough time with them yet.
02:11 PM on 05/11/11
Brett9
a creative username?
User Info.
Was my most anticipated of the year...I had very, very high hopes.

And I absolutely love this album.
02:47 PM on 05/11/11
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
I love this album so much. Like the review said, it feels incredibly organic... nearly spiritual in a way as it accompanies for me the early morning drives along the back roads to school. I don't have the words to wax poetic on it though, so I'll just leave it at: this is my AOTY so far.
03:51 PM on 05/11/11
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Nice review. Made me chuckle a couple times. I got it the other day on amazon but I haven't had the chance to listen yet. Gettin on it!
04:38 PM on 05/11/11
InfiniteArms
Let me be your superhero
User Info.
Great Review for a Great album. What did you do to get banned from wikipedia??
04:44 PM on 05/11/11
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
This album is stunning, an easy AOTY candidate.
05:08 PM on 05/11/11
Johnis
User Info.
i had a very personal reaction to their Self-Titled album. It signified a lot of what I thought I wanted in this world (freedom, a place to sprawl out, the thought that just because we live in a city doens't mean we have to live in one). But now, as I moved from a medium sized city to a large one, I too have been able to grasp onto this album. The fight between where we are and where we so desperately want to be, coupled with the fact that maybe where we want to be is now an impossible dream. And I think how they are juxtaposing that sort of very real, very harsh realities of being a band in the year 2011, with some extremely out-of-time songs ("Grown Ocean" and "Helplessness Blues" and "Montezuma" come to mind), is just a testament to how well this band knows themselves and what they want to be. And I guess, being reminded that all you can really take care of is yourself has been a nice way for me to latch onto this record, even if there is no "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" or "Ragged Wood."
I don't usually take a lot of time to post, but I have to thank you for putting into words what only lived in my head each time I come back to this album. The music, to me, captures a timeless freedom beyond day-to-day living, corporate jobs and disposable music that gets old after repeated listening. Nothing else has really sounded as good lately, so I haven't even gotten around to checking out the new ManOrch and This Will Destroy You albums that just came out. I'm going to let this one settle for a while.
05:12 PM on 05/11/11
InstruMETAL
Be the change you wish to see
User Info.
I just discovered this band as I mostly listen to post-hardcore. Surprisingly I like them a lot. I love their self titled and Sun Giant EP. Haven't listened to this new album much yet though.
05:19 PM on 05/11/11
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Such a great album.
07:21 PM on 05/11/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
just a joke, haha
10:42 PM on 05/11/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Somebody needs to change the oil in their sarcasm detector.

Great review, though this album doesn't seem as genuinely entertaining as their debut to me. It is better than most of the crap out there though, that's for sure.
12:26 AM on 05/13/11
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Really enjoyed this album.
09:27 AM on 05/13/11
Emelianenko
User Info.
I absolutely LOVE their first two releases and have listened to them an obnoxious amount over the past couple years, but so far after one listen to most of the songs on this album I just haven't been excited...maybe I need a couple more listens. I was very much looking forward to it but I just didn't find it nearly as catchy and haunting as Blue Ridge Mountains, Mykonos, Ragged Wood, Oliver James, Tiger Mountain, He doesn't know why, etc...

I will definitely play it at least a few more times to see if it grows on me.
10:14 AM on 05/13/11
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've always thought of Fleet Foxes as a much better version of Mumford and Sons...maybe that's just the UK folk rock thing? Not sure...
Agreed about Fleet Foxes being much better. Mumford and Sons wish they could be anything close to Fleet Foxes. Clearly, M&S are influenced by FF, but FF are on a whole other level...it's really not even close. Also, FF aren't from the UK. They're from Seattle.
11:43 AM on 05/13/11
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sorry I need to edit my post. I'm pretty sure I was thinking of another band when I said that about the UK. M&S are less than FF imo because they swear and stuff. FF keeps it clean and I mean for the most part they arent controversial. I guess there's something about them being gay or whatever but really who gives. They are amazing.
Huh? The Shrine/An Argument, and much of the rest of the album is about Robin's girlfriend breaking up with him. Not gay. And who cares if they were?

FF are better than M&S because they are better musicians, better lyricists, 100% authentic to folk music (not "folk rock"), and know exactly what they are doing. Sigh No More is just not a good album, and the lyrics are corny. At what should be a climax of the album, he screams "You didn't think, when you pushed me to the BRIIIINK! The BRIIINK!" Those lyrics, and much of the rest of the album are just so amateur.

At least we can both agree that FF are actually better than them though, because I feel like there aren't enough people who get it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos