Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts
08:25 AM on 04/13/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I'm a big Andrew Bird fan and really enjoy the album but I'm only so-so on the review. My main point of contention would be that you simply make it sound harder to enjoy than it is in reality. A lot of time was spent referencing the different styles within the music, as well as the different instrumentation (also these days I no longer think of using a glockenspiel as all that different haha) he uses, while only a single line was used to inform the reader that it does, in fact, sound cohesive. Despite all of the things that one doesn't normally find in a pop song, for the most part that's what you end up with - intriguing and unique pop songs. I'm glad you did point out the fact that with all these different styles the man can craft one hell of a catchy song. I would have also liked a few more lines on the album's lyrics rather than the vagueness of a term such as "lyrical prowess", as I think his writing is just as interesting to note as the music is. I know it's impossible to address every point in a three paragraph review. Hopefully you take this what it's meant to be - constructive criticism.

PS: You get points for mentioning Rufus Wainwright, as I'm a huge fan of his as well. I don't completely understand the Modest Mouse reference, though. haha

Glad you enjoyed (and reviewed) the album. Hope you check out the rest of his discography if you've yet to.

PPS: Sorry if any (or all) of this is incoherent - I just woke up and haven't taken my shower yet.
Thanks for the input! I agree with your points. It is difficult to explain every point of an album like this without sounding long winded so I just tried to get the basic points that I found particularly interesting across. I agree, the lyrics are something to be admired, as they are very well thought out and crafted perfectly to suit the music. There should be no doubt that I thought this is a cohesive album. In fact, I think it is one of the strongest aspects that it is so eclectic yet nothing seems out of place, that is what I was trying to elaborate on with saying that it never sounds forced. And the Modest Mouse rec is basically because I felt some of his vocal lines resemble a not as spastic Isaac Brock. Thanks for checking out the review!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos