AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of... Album Cover

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of...

Reviewed by
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Release Date: June 2, 1978
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Record Label: Columbia Records

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
05:52 AM on 05/16/11
cburton92
User Info.
Great review!

this is my favourite springsteen album.
06:43 AM on 05/16/11
themagicrat
Winnie Cooper is a goddamned whore
User Info.
Not my favorite by him, but a great record nonetheless. I gained a lot more respect for it when I saw him play the entire thing live. It's amazing how much better it is when you listen to it straight through.
07:09 AM on 05/16/11
Clintoto
thefifties.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Something In The Night is amazing.
08:32 AM on 05/16/11
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
nice call on the "Racing In The Street" alternate version being better than the album cut. are you reviewing The Promise?

Darkness is my least favorite Springsteen record from this era. I just don't like the turnaround from Born To Run (though I understand it).
08:59 AM on 05/16/11
snee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the line in badlands is "poor man wanna be rich, rich man....."

album is a perfect 10.
10:33 AM on 05/16/11
Jet Set Paul
User Info.
Definitely my favorite Bruce Springsteen album. Great review.
10:48 AM on 05/16/11
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
Everyone says the alternate version of "Racing" is better than the one on Darkness, and I agreed for a little while...but the original is just so much more emotional.
10:45 PM on 05/16/11
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Everyone says the alternate version of "Racing" is better than the one on Darkness, and I agreed for a little while...but the original is just so much more emotional.
Agreed with you there. The version on The Promise is great, but the Darkness version is beyond perfect.

I go back and forth on whether I love this or The River more. Both are top 10/15 of all time for me. Every song here is great (I really don't think there's a song on the first 8 albums that I dislike) with the opener and the closer being the best songs on the record once again. The title track would be in serious contention for my favorite non-BTR Bruce track, while Badlands is just a perfect opener (and so great live). The other two four corners and Something in the Night round out the list of the best tracks on the record.

I love the feel of this album and how it's really Born to Run from the other side of things. Listening to these two records side by side is really interesting (not to mention a damn solid couple hours of music). Still no excuse for omitting The Promise, as that song could have served perfectly as a penultimate track and a lead in to the epic closer (much like Meeting functions on Born to Run), but that's a small complaint for an album so full of wonderful material. And judging by The Promise, which is mostly good, but not great, Springsteen mostly made the right decisions with what to toss and what to keep from the massive pile of songs he recorded for this record.
01:39 PM on 05/18/11
MusicPub
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
as described in this limited edition book on the Darkness on The Edge of Town albume and tour, Bruce took no prisoners during the recording and touring of his darkest and most mature work... "I spent those years in between [Born to Run and Darkness] waiting for his return, both sonically and in the flesh. And when he did return, a changed man, a grownup with a new anger and dissonance to his sound, I felt bereft. I had to fucking adjust." score it while they last.... The Light in Darkness
10:19 AM on 06/01/11
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
This album and 'Nebraska' are my favorite Springsteen albums.
09:24 AM on 07/13/11
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Promise version wouldn't have fit on Darkness. The version on Darkness is so key to the symmetry of the album, calling a tentative end to Side 1 before "Promised Land" opens Side 2 on a second wind of energy.
04:32 PM on 07/16/11
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
Exactly.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT