Username
Password

10:21 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
'm curious to know, if he responded with an explicitly racist or homophobic comment (e.g., "hey, wouldn't it be funny if that black guy/girl got hanged from a tree?"/"wouldn't it be funny if that queer got beaten to death?"), would people still be defending him?

and anyway, all she said was "rape joke aren't funny" - that one line of protestation isn't as harmful or threatening as tosh's remark.
10:27 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
'm curious to know, if he responded with an explicitly racist or homophobic comment (e.g., "hey, wouldn't it be funny if that black guy/girl got hanged from a tree?"/"wouldn't it be funny if that queer got beaten to death?"), would people still be defending him?

and anyway, all she said was "rape joke aren't funny" - that one line of protestation isn't as harmful or threatening as tosh's remark.

But he didn't and wouldn't say that because behind all the faux smugness and fake racism, he has nothing against blacks or gays. It's like saying Dave Chappelle would say something similar because his humor is mainly race-driven. You're taking one thing that could have easily been taken out of context and trying to make it extreme. It's not.
10:32 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
WTG
Former Two-Time APWP Champion
Clearwater, FL
Male - 26 Years Old

Going to a comedy club for a comedy show and yelling out at the comedian that something isn't funny isn't okay in the comedy world, regardless.

And, for the love of God people, STOP BELIEVING THE ANONYMOUS BLOG AS 100% TRUTH! There are two sides to every story, and the manager of the comedy club came out and said he didn't threaten and she misquoted, and also lied about leaving right away.
10:56 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
stayillogical
She's a marshmallow
Providence, RI
Female - 25 Years Old
There's no way to have this conversation without it seeming wildly condescending. Setting and context is everything. It's so fucking unfair to comics that they have to deal with shit like this simply because everyone wants to have a voice. What happens in a comedy club exists in a bubble. Anyone with a quarter of a brain knows Tosh doesn't want her to get raped. Seriously. She committed the ultimate sin in that bubble and Tosh reacted in a way that would shame and embarrass her, as he should have. I know the type of person this girl is and I have no problem saying she deserved what was said to her, whatever it may be.

Yeah yeah yeah, I get that setting and context matters. I've seen plenty of stand-up, I've even seen a close friend tell an entire dark anecdote about meeting a special needs kid in a wheelchair. I get that no matter what he said, she had no right to heckle and ruin the rhythm of his set by calling attention to herself. But still, I do not agree that it justifies him saying whatever he wanted to. The original rape quote is awful, and reason alone for the uproar. I'm just glad to hear that it's a misquote.

You sir, are a vindictive one.
11:17 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
Yeah yeah yeah, I get that setting and context matters. I've seen plenty of stand-up, I've even seen a close friend tell an entire dark anecdote about meeting a special needs kid in a wheelchair. I get that no matter what he said, she had no right to heckle and ruin the rhythm of his set by calling attention to herself. But still, I do not agree that it justifies him saying whatever he wanted to. The original rape quote is awful, and reason alone for the uproar. I'm just glad to hear that it's a misquote.

You sir, are a vindictive one.
This whole thing strikes as people really wanting ammunition to hate Tosh because he's famous for reiterating racist views back to his mainly immature audience. He doesn't give them enough because he knows how to ride the line between being a character saying that type of stuff and being his actual views. So some person posts anonymously about an incident that can't be backed up with actual evidence and suddenly, the Jezebel crowd is completely up in arms and people can say "Well I've hated him all along."

There's uproar over assumptions that can't be backed up. This whole thing shouldn't have even been given credence.
11:18 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
'Rape jokes are the safest jokes to make. Who’s going to complain about rape jokes? Rape victims? They barely even report rape.'
- Sarah Silverman
11:22 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Every night on Broadway, The Book of Mormon discusses raping babies, and that show won like 14 Tonys; everybody loves it. Prison rape jokes probably also happen nightly on the touring stand-up circuit. If the person Tosh yelled back at wasn't a frustrated woman, this conversation would not be happening.
11:43 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Recovery Room
Viva LaRoche!
Neverland
Male

How you find the two even remotely the same is beyond me.
12:07 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Another necessary reference on this whole situation. The audio is crap, sorry.

Not saying it fits this particular situation completely, but there's overlap, and it explains in different contexts why these things happen.
12:09 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
"I will apologize for child molesting jokes when Kevin Bacon apologizes for playing a child molester."

video.
The second people get mad at Daniel Tosh, then listen to an O&A broadcast and then go 'oh, okay, I get it now' is the second that I give all the money I've ever made to a charity. Great points are made in this though.
12:13 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't really get what you're saying, haha. I'm no O&A fan, but Norton nailed it.

Haha, um, I'm just saying that most people who are going to get offended by a Tosh bit like that, are very, very unlikely to listen to an O&A broadcast and agree with them. Those two (and their frequent set of guests) are easily more vulgar and 'shock'-y (maybe?) then Tosh is, so even though there are great points made, they're strewn about in a manner that's not easily digestible by someone who's not familiar with their brand of comedy.

Fuck, this is why I hate talking about comedy. I can never get points across.
12:19 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Oh, right, yeah. You're totally correct, just an opinion that I enjoyed. I don't even know why I'm still talking about it other than I don't start my job 'til next week and have nothing to do.

Oh, I completely agree with Norton. I'd never thought of it that way before, that Kevin Bacon line is brilliant.
12:53 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Going to a comedy club for a comedy show and yelling out at the comedian that something isn't funny isn't okay in the comedy world, regardless.

And, for the love of God people, STOP BELIEVING THE ANONYMOUS BLOG AS 100% TRUTH! There are two sides to every story, and the manager of the comedy club came out and said he didn't threaten and she misquoted, and also lied about leaving right away.

This. Exactly this. Why are people in this thread seeming to ignore this? She misquoted and lied all over the place, which makes her entire argument invalid, in my opinion.

I think Daniel Tosh is a fucking hilarious comedian, and despite people seeming to not be to thrilled with it, I love his TV show, as well. He's a very talented guy and knows how to push his jokes to the edge. I've never seen any evidence to make me think badly of him, so, it's definitely going to be an innocent until proven guilty thing for me. I don't think he should've apologized at all.

its not my fault the 90s was filled with shit for television programs and this emerged out of the dark gaping hole of extremely horrible shitty tv and became popular.....no one really liked the show, they were forced to watch it, a mere situation of circumstance

Full House was an awesome show. I've seen every episode, don't be hatin' :P
01:09 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
Read the manager of the club's comments. He says it didn't happen like the girl said, and Tosh said something like "it sounds like she was raped by like five guys". Big difference from "wouldn't it be funny if she was raped by five guys". Tosh also said it was taken out of context. Who knows what really happened unless a video surfaces, but I would trust the manager of the club and their account of it over anonymous internet girl.

tbh if that's what he said instead, I don't think it's much better because than it just seems like "haha she must have been raped!". I've heard rape jokes that were intelligent and used to bring about a larger point about rape culture or our society that have been funny so I'm not saying it is totally off limits, but like 90% of rape jokes I hear are usually like "lol rape." What Tosh said wasn't even funny at all. It was a hack response. I don't know why so many people (and it's funny that they are usually men) insist on being able to joke about rape in the douchiest way. It's a male privilege thing, at least this example. I don't get why people can't just admit that what Tosh said was out of line instead of whining that women are so over-sensitive and don't "get" comedy (not pointing you out specifically here, just a trend I've noticed on various forums about this). Even a simple "I think comedy should be able to cover all subjects but what Tosh said was rude" would work.
01:24 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
Arizona
Male - 23 Years Old
No idea what's happening with this heckler situation. I'm more pissed about Viacom ultimately taking Comedy Central away from me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos