AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Brunswick - My Name Is Disaster Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Brunswick - My Name Is Disaster

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (04/13/07)
Brunswick - My Name is Disaster
Released August 31st, 2006
Red Blue Records

You call yourself a fan of five guys with a penchant for pop-punk and musical instruments, do you? Who doesn't these days? I think a quick browse on the olí net will bring up more than enough to satisfy, which is why Brunswick may slip through the cracks in most instances. Though I recognize the difference between this Boston quintet, and letís say, Sound the Alarm Ė its just all bleeds together at some point. My Name Is Disaster has Brunswick flying with the higher echelon, however, as they use the typical sugar and spice in a way that doesn't follow too closely to the flavor of the week, but in a strut that seems almost too fresh of a step with consistently good songs brimming with unadulterated exuberance.

"My Name Is Disaster" and "Avalon (Boundless in Static)" are the tracks that will stick out on this here EP. The former is almost too fetching because of the boyishly buoyant vocals of Ian Bergeson and securely direct, stylishly melodic instrumentation. You can find solace in that the lyrical value is at a medium (relating to all tracks); catchy in their own right but nothing revolutionary. But that's usually the case, isn't it? Expect to spend many a nigh hooked to "I am no hero/I just want to show you that I'm no zero/And let you know you're who I want with me", if not to any of the other stand-out chorus sing-alongs.

It's not all poppy hooks here. The standard slower-tempo song ending out the album makes its appearance on My Name Is Disaster in the form of the excellent "Smith and Wesson". The song recalls Rookie of the Year texturing with caffeinated guitar lines. It serves a purpose in showing this band's versatility in trying slightly different styles in the context of one album that I, for one, found quite impressive.

My Name Is Disaster is not the second-coming of pop-punk by any means. It's simply another addition you can be proud to display in your repertoire. Labels will vying for Brunswick here soon and for good reason. There's a plethora of energy pent up in this one five-song EP for fans of The Audition and Valencia alike to discover. Get on it.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
11:52 PM on 04/13/07
heartsynapse
throwing punch after punch
User Info.
Very fair review. These guys are from my area, so I would like to see them get signed soon, but they are definitely far from original.
08:30 AM on 04/15/07
Aneurisms07
User Info.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you say.
I played a show with them 2 weeks ago, and their bassist was so sick, he was throwing up EVERYWHERE. He kept going though. I'm not sure I could enjoy the set fully though, because all I was thinking was "shit, I hope I don't go near the mic he is using".
09:40 AM on 04/15/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
I thought they were pretty tight with Red Blue Records...
10:06 AM on 04/15/07
TheEndofGravity
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
more like brunksdick. haha love these dudesss. good review
07:40 PM on 04/15/07
StarsXReflect
Seanny Noyes
User Info.
eh ive seen them since the beginning of their band.. not impressed..
10:44 PM on 04/15/07
myARMISTICE
User Info.
i saw them play with ice nine kills, i think they are good
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music