AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Arcs - Arcs Album Cover

Arcs - Arcs

Reviewed by
ARCSARCS

ARCS is not a household name by any means. They are not as well known as other bands in the pop rock scene. They are in the stage where they are working their way into the ears of eager listeners wherever they can be found. This group of five gentlemen from Toronto, Canada, are attempting to perfect the art of pop rock and doing a very admirable job with it.

What is striking about this self-titled EP is how well it sounds right from the start. It is the kind of music that immediately intrigues you and keeps you listening, constantly pulling you in to listen more. Topping it all off are the beautiful lyrics and vocals that accompanies every note. I’m not sure that I can express how impressive Sam Sutherland is as a vocalist on this disc. His voice is unique and precisely delivers the emotion of every word throughout this EP.

This disk actually feels more like a sampler filled with many bands rather than an EP for just one. This is because of how every song switches up what is expected of any one band and utilizes different elements. For example, the songs “I wish I took more Pictures” and “I’m an A-Sharp” are reminiscent of Lydia since they contain beautifully added female vocals that really bring the songs to life. On the other hand, the song titled “The Earth is Clearly Round” adds the elements of well placed screams to accent the already wonderful vocals present. Each new element adds to each track, and yet it doesn’t feel disorganized or seems like the band needs to find what style they want to go for. This is because there is still something to each of the songs that gives a distinct feel that lets you know it’s the same band. There are a lot more examples, but it is probably best just to give the EP a listen. I feel you will understand what I am talking about.

Another striking element of this EP is how few flaws there are in the songs. Usually when I am listening to any release I can immediately pick out songs I don’t like or things about certain tracks I don’t like. This release leaves me doing very little else other than singing along with the songs.

I understand that this isn’t the band that everyone is talking about, at least not yet. I understand that this isn’t the band that all the scene kids are bopping their heads to, but it should be. This band deserves to be given a chance, and it is highly likely that if you do give them the time, they will surprise you. By visiting their website listed below you can download this EP for free, and this reviewer highly suggests that you do.

www.arcsmusic.com
This review is a user submitted review from Saves The Night. You can see all of Saves The Night's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
05:59 AM on 04/15/07
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
User Info.
After reading this, I listened to it and I really like it. Thanks.
10:20 PM on 04/15/07
Saves The Night
AP's Resident STD Fan
User Info.
I think everyone should give it a listen...its such a refreshing EP

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT