Jennurna Gray
Happy P and the Goblet of Giggles
User Info.
So much stupidity.
03:41 PM on 05/21/11
what_ever
every supahero need his theme music
User Info.
I hate that religion can't be criticized or even questioned. Why the fuck not?

If I claimed that Elvis is still alive and he personally speaks to me, I'd expect everyone to treat me as a deranged lunatic. Why does religion get a free pass?
05:13 PM on 05/21/11
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
As evident by the 7" artwork

Can I reply ''holy shit" to that?
05:20 PM on 05/21/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
When will people understand that just because you are able/have the right to do something doesn't mean that you should do it? Whatever happened to civility and common courtesy?

Making fun of religious culture and traditions is nowhere near on the same plane as outright blasphemy or the mockery of sacred things.

I hope you include humanism in this. Otherwise, I question your common sense levels.
Well yeah of course, but that really isn't a religion per se, at least in my opinion. Kinda just a label used to describe "other", I mean I've never actually heard someone go "I'm a humanist". But yeah, totally, everyone's fucked and ignorant.
07:15 PM on 05/21/11
david Johnston
Deathwish182
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lol @ people thinking living with lions isnt "punk" anymore because this is a gimick and they get government funding. If you knew or listened to the band at all you would know thats retarded. Lots of bands these days get government funding for their records, and i dont ever remember hearing LWL saying "were a punk band."
07:18 PM on 05/21/11
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.

Making fun of religious culture and traditions is nowhere near on the same plane as outright blasphemy or the mockery of sacred things.

I wouldn't call what this band is doing outright blasphemy. I would call it "dumb humor," even though its not funny (I don't really get the joke in Jesus being a turd, but I digress). I don't happen to like being made fun of for my beliefs, but that's kind of the way it is. I can chuckle, but I can also kindly defend myself. Not that you're doing this, but I try not to make a huge deal out of that stuff, because it kind of adds fuel to the fire.
07:20 PM on 05/21/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I wouldn't call what this band is doing outright blasphemy. I would call it "dumb humor," even though its not funny (I don't really get the joke in Jesus being a turd, but I digress). I don't happen to like being made fun of for my beliefs, but that's kind of the way it is. I can chuckle, but I can also kindly defend myself. Not that you're doing this, but I try not to make a huge deal out of that stuff, because it kind of adds fuel to the fire.
Hence "mockery of sacred things".
07:23 PM on 05/21/11
topher465
User Info.
Hence "mockery of sacred things".
Explain?
07:45 PM on 05/21/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Looks like I forgot to bold the part I was talking about, haha.
07:59 PM on 05/21/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Government funding for a punk album....?

I can see where you're coming from entirely. But in Canada, so much of our music is funded indirectly by the government through programs like FACTOR or Manitoba Film and Music. They want to protect Canadian talent so it stays in Canada, but still has the potential to be heard internationally. Someone has to be actively supporting Canadian content for these artists to get noticed, even on a site like this.

And you might be interested to know that even Propagandhi is supported by these programs. Take one look at the back of Supporting Caste and you'll see the exact same FACTOR logo. Perhaps this money can be spent on better things, but if it has to go to the arts, I'm glad they're willing to support ALL of our artists. And I hope that doesn't change now that one Conservative minister has a problem with it.
08:10 PM on 05/21/11
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Watch episodes 200 and 201 of South Park, and tell me Islam isn't treated differently. Jesus is shown snorting lines of cocaine, and Muhammad isn't even allowed to be shown or heard on screen. Everyone still walks on eggshells for certain groups; it's unfortunate, but that's a reality.
...that was part of the joke...

-________-
10:38 PM on 05/21/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
I can see where you're coming from entirely. But in Canada, so much of our music is funded indirectly by the government through programs like FACTOR or Manitoba Film and Music. They want to protect Canadian talent so it stays in Canada, but still has the potential to be heard internationally. Someone has to be actively supporting Canadian content for these artists to get noticed, even on a site like this.

And you might be interested to know that even Propagandhi is supported by these programs. Take one look at the back of Supporting Caste and you'll see the exact same FACTOR logo. Perhaps this money can be spent on better things, but if it has to go to the arts, I'm glad they're willing to support ALL of our artists. And I hope that doesn't change now that one Conservative minister has a problem with it.

Really hoping beibers initial demos were not sponsored by this service...
11:04 PM on 05/21/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Really hoping beibers initial demos were not sponsored by this service...

Haha. Never picked up a Bieber CD so I couldn't tell you. But I'm tempted to say no. I think he only has an American label and went to the States to build up his career. Which is an option for Canadian artists, some go that route. Silverstein did that too, they never had a Canadian label, they just had Victory for many years. And now they have Hopeless. But that meant they're not eligible for funding. Like I said, the purpose of those programs is to keep Canadian talent inside of Canada. You can't get the money if you leave the country. But if you leave the country, you could find much better opportunities in the States. It's a choice they have to make.
06:41 AM on 05/22/11
topher465
User Info.
Much better.
07:10 AM on 05/22/11
Griff
It's getting fucking dark.
User Info.

I had no idea about any of that, but that's actually really cool. Thanks for enlightening me!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests