Password

Album Review

Downstate - Liquor, Lust & Lies Album Cover

Downstate - Liquor, Lust & Lies

Reviewed by
DownstateLiquor, Lust & Lies
Label: Vigilant Records
Release Date: November 11, 2006

Renowned for their tight, yet explosive, live set and exceptionally brutal lyrics, Downstate, a four-piece from southern Illinois, has risen to the top of the St. Louis music scene. While maintaining a certain edge residing within their music, the group has progressed over the past few years, originally starting as a high school punk rock band.

The album starts off slow with the CD's worst track, "Definition of Desire," but quickly recovers with the track, "Second Story Ceiling". There's no slowing down as the rest of the album fails to disappoint. Following "Second Story Ceiling" is the album's most upbeat (and infamously popular) track, "Fuck the Foreplay," which is then followed by the album's title track, another goodie. The sixth and final track of the album is "Designated Driver" and is my personal favorite, sporting the album's best lyrics.

With lyrics often times surrounding such matters as religious murder, sex, and lead singer Jason Jarmen's battles with alcoholism and depression, the band's music often leads me to think this may in fact be late American poet Charles Bukowski reincarnate. And with song titles such as "Killing Time (Was Just a Figure of Speech Before You Met Me)," "I Love the Smell of Latex in the Morning," and "Fuck the Foreplay," Downstate has definitely turned some heads in St. Louis (proving that the area does in fact have more to offer than bands like Blinded Black.)

"this room smells of sex and regrets and there's a scent in the air that reminds me of you... and we both know it's not perfume"

Recommended if you like: Finch, The Used, So They Say, Boys Night Out.

www.myspace.com/downstaterock
This review is a user submitted review from speakhandsforme. You can see all of speakhandsforme's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
01:13 PM on 04/18/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Man, St. Louis some real shit coming out of it lately.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos