Album Review

Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High EP Album Cover

Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High EP

Reviewed by
Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High
Record Label: Subpop Records
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Who?

If four chicks dressed completely in black gladrags, ripped tights and highly contrasted stark-red lipstick roll through your town this year, chances are they are probably Dum Dum Girls. The all-female indie-noise-pop outfit from California are making waves in small sweaty clubs both stateside and in Europe. Their brand of mellow guitar rock is influenced by 1970s post-punk bands such as Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Spacemen 3 and The Ramones. The band is made up of lead singer Dee-Dee, guitarist Jules, bassist Bambi and drummer Sandy - yeah, all terrible stage names.

How is it?

The four-track EP is the third release by the band, and the first since their guitar-and-shared-vocal-led debut album, I Will Be in 2010. It picks up just where the debut album left off too, which is by jumping straight into the distinctive vocal delivery that would make The Smiths think they has acquired a female lead singer back in the day. The guitar and drum combos are always moving at breakneck speed on this effort, and each song is over just as quick as it started; but that is not to say the four tracks are not memorable. Opener “Wrong Feels Right” has some killer drumming that must be a drag for Sandy to hold back on when you feel she could break out into a solo at any moment. The chorus has a hook that will have you coming back again and again. The EP is led by the main single “He Gets Me High”; a lovely little rock track about love in modern rock 'n’ roll times. What more is there to say than he gets her high? Producer Richard Gottehrer gets the best out of the girls here, with the producer himself being most famous for the track “I Want Candy.” “Take Care of My Baby” is a slower guitar jingle that brings in some tambourine to replace the drumming duties. The song provides some well needed sentiment to accompany the simplistic lyrics. The final track is a Smiths cover and is not much different from the original version other than its increased speed and female vocals. “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” has always been an enjoyable track, and any band that can replicate the melancholy of a Smiths track can’t be all bad, right? This is a pleasant little package that clocks in at just over thirteen minutes. It’s worth a few quid, at least.

Recommended If You LikeActual decent rock music; Smiths covers

myspace.com/dumdumgirls
This review is a user submitted review from OnaedInSpace. You can see all of OnaedInSpace's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:32 AM on 05/31/11
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
This is one of my favorite releases so far this year. At first I was disappointed in such an obvious choice for a cover song but it actually fits really well with the rest of the songs thematically.

"Take Care Of My Baby" is definitely my favorite track. I'd give lyrics higher than a 6.5

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos