Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 115 of 115.
12:12 PM on 05/25/11
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
I'm a Christian so it does somewhat bother me. But what bothers me more is that they were "naive" to the fact some would find it offensive. Give me a break, they knew what they were doing. Man up and admit it.

And let's say the album was mocking Muslims and/or Mohammed and calling them "towelheads" or other derogatory terms and depicting them as terrorists. Yes, that would bother me just as much. Same goes for if it was Judaism. Hinduism. etc.

Also, it's not just "potty humor." Potty humor is fart jokes or something like Jackass and The Hangover. Anyone that combines this kind of humor with Christian beliefs or anything as loved and as widespread as faith in Jesus, The Bible and so forth is aiming below the belt intentionally.

Either way, I do believe they should have the freedom of speech and expression (as should anyone, especially when it comes to art).

This.

Also, I think I'm trying to sympathize and see the bands point of view. Maybe the fact that they made the art what it was is just testament to how much religion means nothing to them. It's extremely hard to see someone's point of view if you don't share the same values. And having different beliefs than another person is not a wrong thing (unless it leads to extremely inhumane behaviour).

A breach in FACTOR's contract with the government. Maybe I'm being too liberal with this situation, but I'd like to see a day when FACTOR can help Canadian musicians do whatever they want, without having the government interfere and get offended. That is my point.

I see your point. What are the laws regarding hateful speech/libel here?
12:13 PM on 05/25/11
PntsoffDnceoff
User Info.
THANK YOU for understanding my point. All I saw in this thread was some people (not just the guy who I quoted, perhaps I shouldn't have quoted anyone) saying "FACTOR" when they really meant "Canadian government/James Moore." It's not my opinion, it's a fact. A fact the band even admitted in their statement that I edited into this thread:

"The debate about government funding contributing to potentially controversial art is neither new nor truly resolved; but when the offended public complains, the politicians habitually remind groups like FACTOR, the NEA and the Arts Council that they can pull the plug rather than encourage discourse or scholarly debate."

I think some people just like to argue. And I am not one of those people so I'm going to leave it at that.
They signed a contract saying they wouldn't put out anything that is offensive of certain ways. Those rules in the contract weren't just put there for kicks and giggles. It is clearly something that FACTOR didn't want to be a part of. They said they had never seen the album before it was released. You can say it is the minister or Christians faults for being offended and complaining, or perhaps the bands fault for breaking contract and FACTOR's fault for not reviewing the album before they let them release it with their "logo and the wordmark of the Government of Canada" on the front.

And I will keep clarifying that I think the band understands what is going on and is responding very well and it really blows for them.
12:16 PM on 05/25/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
The main thing i find absurd is that they seem to be an organization founded on giving Canadian artists the chance to see their art come to fruition under the grounds that it is a loan to get their project off the ground, but then complain about said art that is created. Its extremely hypocritical to me. But with that being said, i also understand that it isnt Factor directly making the real mess about it all, its namely a few people who got their knickers in a bunch and dont realize how high up on their own horses they are.

I'm glad someone else understands! It's just that FACTOR is a private non-profit organization that relies on government funding to keep afloat. And in order to get that funding, they signed contracts saying they would "prohibit certain kinds of offensive material" so the government would be happy. I think the government should do away with that contract and let FACTOR give money to fund whatever a band wants to do.
12:48 PM on 05/25/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
This.

Also, I think I'm trying to sympathize and see the bands point of view. Maybe the fact that they made the art what it was is just testament to how much religion means nothing to them. It's extremely hard to see someone's point of view if you don't share the same values. And having different beliefs than another person is not a wrong thing (unless it leads to extremely inhumane behaviour).

I see your point. What are the laws regarding hateful speech/libel here?

I have no idea what the laws are. I just know about FACTOR and my only issue is people in this thread that don't understand how they operate. The Canadian government is still the one who makes the final call and that's how this whole situation happened. And unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon, even though I think it should.
01:02 PM on 05/25/11
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
I'm glad someone else understands! It's just that FACTOR is a private non-profit organization that relies on government funding to keep afloat. And in order to get that funding, they signed contracts saying they would "prohibit certain kinds of offensive material" so the government would be happy. I think the government should do away with that contract and let FACTOR give money to fund whatever a band wants to do.

The government/FACTOR contract does make a bit of sense, but maybe they should restrict it to hateful speech/libel, although I understand the predicament that FACTOR and the government are in.
01:29 PM on 05/25/11
permanentdan
User Info.
Word =) art with no restraints!
10:39 AM on 05/31/11
collideoscopic
User Info.
if you hate us so much, why would you want to become part of us? And people like you never fail to cement the stereotype that Americans are ignorant assholes.

Comments like the fifty I received in response to my post are exactly what cements the stereotype that Canadians are ultra-sensitive, have an extreme inferiority complex, and absolutely no sense of humor.
03:39 PM on 09/15/11
jeremymckinnon
User Info.
This is disgusting. People take shit waaaay too seriously. That artwork was awesome.
08:14 PM on 09/15/11
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
Holy shit...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music