Username
Password
Entertainment News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Entertainment
Inside AP.net

My So-Called Punk

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (04/17/07)
You can find Matt Diehl's analysis on the punk rock music scene, My So-Called Punk, in book stores today.
Press ReleaseFrom its inception, punk was an underground revolution that raged against the mainstream. It expressed an unflinching need for self-expression and a passionate defense of individualism. Now punk is the mainstream: punk bands today sign with major labels, win Grammy awards, and receive corporate sponsorship all while sporting tattoos and Mohawks. What is the new punk? Does punk today prove a shock to the system, or did the system win in the end?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35.
06:45 AM on 04/17/07
Cottage Cheese
User Info.
It seems like this book is 5 years too late and everyone pretty much already knew what he wrote about it... but that's just me judging a book by its cover.
06:47 AM on 04/17/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
I thought about buying this yesterday. I ended up buying Everybody Hurts instead and saving some of my money for the rest of the week.

The Borders at the mall in my area happened to put this stuff out early. You gotta love when businesses do that.
07:03 AM on 04/17/07
kevinrocks409
kiss kitty on the lips
User Info.
oh, boy the system won.
07:07 AM on 04/17/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I picked up this and Nothing Feels Good by Andy Greenwald the other day at Barnes & Noble.
It seems like this book is 5 years too late and everyone pretty much already knew what he wrote about it... but that's just me judging a book by its cover.
From skimming it (I'm going to read it on my flight to Boston this evening), it doesn't seem like that at all.
07:19 AM on 04/17/07
cory-182
User Info.
This sounds interesting.
07:42 AM on 04/17/07
AndrewStuart
I'm a mess. I guess.
User Info.
mmm, i like books
07:54 AM on 04/17/07
Khaos
Can I Save Myself?
User Info.
mmm, me wants
08:06 AM on 04/17/07
Cottage Cheese
User Info.
I picked up this and Nothing Feels Good by Andy Greenwald the other day at Barnes & Noble. From skimming it (I'm going to read it on my flight to Boston this evening), it doesn't seem like that at all.

prove me wrong... I need something to read once I finish my David Sedaris book
08:58 AM on 04/17/07
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
im interested in checking out this book. but i think everybody hurts is going to be a better book
09:07 AM on 04/17/07
ikeepadiary
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I picked up this and Nothing Feels Good by Andy Greenwald the other day at Barnes & Noble. From skimming it (I'm going to read it on my flight to Boston this evening), it doesn't seem like that at all.

I read Nothing Feels Good a few years ago and while it does a really good job of initially giving some background on emo's evolution and warping, I came away feeling like the latter part of it was just a glorification of Chris Carraba.
09:19 AM on 04/17/07
KidDisaster2113
An end to all that
User Info.
If you even consider any mainstream music, Green Day, FoB or whatever to be "punk" then you don't even know what it is. None of these bands are railing against society. They don't ever claim to be a punk band. It's just ignorant fans who think they are. This book is pointless.

Listen to GISM
09:22 AM on 04/17/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.

So is that book worth the money?
09:25 AM on 04/17/07
User Info.
i bought "Nothing Feels Good" a few months back at hot topic. i havent been able to get my mind into it because im in the middle of one book and have one more before it. fortunately, it only takes me about a week to get through a good book so ill be picking this up along with "Everybody Hurts"
09:28 AM on 04/17/07
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
If you even consider any mainstream music, Green Day, FoB or whatever to be "punk" then you don't even know what it is. None of these bands are railing against society. They don't ever claim to be a punk band. It's just ignorant fans who think they are. This book is pointless.

Listen to GISM

i think thats why they are calling the book 'my so called punk'
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums