Username
Password

Album Review
Thursday - Waiting Album Cover

Thursday - Waiting

Reviewed by
Thursday - Waiting
Record Label: Eyeball Records

When you hear the name Thursday, the first album that comes to mind tends to be either their classic "Full Collapse" or the equally stellar "War All The Time." Both albums are ferocious, melodic and thoughtful, and have often introduced legions of fans to the band and genre in particular. But look back from these albums will allow you to find a little gem of a CD that was released to little fanfare, yet can easily stand among its descendants with pride.

"Waiting" was released in early 2000 on indie-label Eyeball Records, the same label that would release the debut "My Chemical Romance" album "I Brought You My Bullets..." a few years later. While the initial run was small, the album is still being pressed and can be found at mass market retailers like Best Buy (which is where I found my copy a few years ago). Upon first spin, the listener is introduced to a sound not uncommon for bands currently in the genre, but at the time would have probably come as something of a surprise. Melodic, flowing guitars on verses while choruses grind and pound with breakdowns and heavy riffs. The first song, "Porcelain," starts off this way, and hooks you into the album as a whole.

It takes a few listens to actually get the lyrics and vocals before you begin to understand the themes and subtle nuances of the record. "Porcelain," for example, is a tribute to a friend's suicide, and Geoff Rickley manages to convey the sadness and eventual hope extremely well. While his voice isn't the same as it is on later albums, it still fits the music exceptionally well, showing hints of the talent that would eventually burst forth on "Full Collapse."

While in comparison to many of their later albums, and albums from other bands who mimic their style, this one seems a bit raw. It holds nothing back and can still stand the test of time. Whether or not you are a fan of Thursday is irrelevant when taking "Waiting" into account; the album is more than just solid, it is a benchmark and worthy jumping point for a band we all know.

Recommended Songs:
Porcelain
Streaks In The Sky
Dying in New Brunswick
This review is a user submitted review from Shatter590. You can see all of Shatter590's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
07:43 PM on 04/17/07
k04l4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is just fucking amazing.
10:34 PM on 04/17/07
polock
yaaaankee! swap
User Info.
old school
10:45 PM on 04/17/07
lilRIPsta
User Info.
great album. everything they do is amazing. My fave on this cd is This Side of Brightness. definitely no their best, but a great intro to the genius of this band. Full Collapse is the undisputed classic, but ACBTLD is an unappreciated masterpiece that i dont think people have given the chance to sink in. Lovesong Writer is the best thing they have ever done
06:50 AM on 04/18/07
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
im mor partial to streaks in the sky and dying in new brunswick. the latter i ALWAYS play when I'm riding through New Brunswick station on the train.
09:36 AM on 04/18/07
angelusdomini
Thiago (Tee-Ah-Go)
User Info.
Very good review!
I'm going to check out this album!
09:44 PM on 04/18/07
mshoreline49
User Info.
Porcelain, This side of brightness, introduction, and where the circle ends are my personal favorites... This is an amazing cd if you take it for what its worth -> a young band with relatively shitty recording quality. You can definitely see how the following cd's branched off of this sound/mind-frame though.

And to the dude above... ACBTLD I agree is an amazing masterpiece of a cd that hasn't really been recognized yet... and Lovesong Writer is probably one of their best songs, I must've listened to it about 5 or 6 times today on my 6-hr drive home from VT.

Oh yeah the first time I had ever heard the song porcelain was the day my grandfather died--just thought it was ironic.
11:19 AM on 04/19/07
Mediocrity
User Info.
I'm gonna give it a chance
01:46 AM on 04/20/07
xjohnx
Live from England
User Info.
considering its a few years old now it still stands up and has been playing on my ipod since i read this review thanks for remindin me how good this album is
12:50 PM on 04/22/07
Branevember31
Eric
User Info.
Probably my least favorite Thursday album, and it's still great.
09:01 AM on 02/25/09
dhelmick
User Info.
i got this album quite a few years after it came out but i was still new to thursday. when i heard it i was blown away just because it was still a genre of music that was new to me. the vocals were raw and the instruments were straight forward. i loved it. after many releases it is easy to say it is one of their lower ranked albums but it was their first so rarely is a first a best. but when you look at early albums like waiting and thrice's identity crisis they blow the shit out of many "accomplished' bands today. i guess im just trying to say it was a great album in its time and it still is a great album.
03:29 PM on 09/06/09
Chris Collum
User Info.
Good album, set the foundation for one of the very best bands in the post-hardcore(ish) scene. Nice review, thanks for this...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos