Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts.
03:25 PM on 05/25/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
My opinion expressed as an example: take a member of a prominent band. Let's use Sean Mackin of Yellowcard cause he's a friend. Sean probably does okay with Yellowcard but he isn't filling his swimming pool with Benjamins. If Sean writes a pop song for Katy Perry and it turns into an enormous single and he makes six figures off of it - good for him. I don't think he sold out at all. I think he MADE A LIVING by playing music - his job and calling, after all - and he used that living to keep doing something we all love - playing violin in Yellowcard.

As long as Sean doesn't start writing pop songs for Yellowcard and making the band wear neon clothes, he's not a sell-out.

Bottom line: if the artist doesn't change their own style or fundamentals, he's not selling out. Artists should go off and be in the touring band of a shitty Disney artist. They're making good money doing what they like doing.
03:45 PM on 05/25/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Okay guys, change the word sellout to whatever your heads like to call it. I'm on the opposite side so I'm not calling anybody by that name.
03:46 PM on 05/25/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
The goal of any career is to be successful in that career, why should it change when it's in regards to music? Sure, I wholeheartedly believe that any art should be from the heart but as long as your not betraying yourself than whats the problem? That being said I do believe that there are some "few" actual sell-outs(god I hate that term) that do not care about what they're playing, don't do it for the loe of music and just do it for the money. Do I like them? No. Do I respect them for making it in a dying career? Absolutely.
That's what I said. If you compare it to any other career, who wouldn't take a "promotion" or anything else that involves making more money?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests