Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 127
03:46 PM on 05/25/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The goal of any career is to be successful in that career, why should it change when it's in regards to music? Sure, I wholeheartedly believe that any art should be from the heart but as long as your not betraying yourself than whats the problem? That being said I do believe that there are some "few" actual sell-outs(god I hate that term) that do not care about what they're playing, don't do it for the loe of music and just do it for the money. Do I like them? No. Do I respect them for making it in a dying career? Absolutely.
That's what I said. If you compare it to any other career, who wouldn't take a "promotion" or anything else that involves making more money?
03:46 PM on 05/25/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
Everyone's got their own definition of "selling out." For me, it's all about expectations. If people are early to follow a band, they are wary of any changes in style, and resent their newer style becoming popular. See Green Day and a million others.

If a band came out and made it known that they were going to the top of the world, and it didn't matter how they got there, then by definition they couldn't "sell out" since it was their plan all along. It's the bands that are very musically unique, very intimate with their fans, and very humble when they enter the scene that have potential to sell out. I hated when Dashboard, He Is We, and others went away from acoustic...their unique sound. I hated when Fall Out Boy stopped writing songs with built in singalongs giving you the vibe that you were in a small club with them while listening to an album. I hate when bands that belong in small clubs start playing arenas and stadiums and even if I could afford a ticket, it'd be 1/10 of the experience it used to be.

Good topic though, intrigued to see some opinions on here.

I don't think writing a song for another artist is considered to be selling out. The musician is merely expanding what he can do with his/her talent. However, I feel that a completely drastic change in sound or image for that musician's project can be considered selling out. Basically what Thomas said.

But just doing something as simple as changing their sound, even if their intentions weren't to go to the top, that's not selling out? For example, Saves The Day, they were a strict pop-punk band for years and then they branched out to involve indie elements to their music. Yet their far from selling out because they still open for other bands, they're not on the radio, or the top of the charts. I think as long as they are happy playing what their making and it doesn't compromise who they are or what their goals are, then that's not selling out
03:47 PM on 05/25/11
Aphasia17
Koi No Yokan
User Info.
The term "sell out" is just hilarious. And childish. People need to stop using it seriously.

Artists should be allowed to do whatever they want with their art. That's pretty much what it comes down to because at the end of the day, it's not the status or the popularity of the art that dictates its quality.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.
03:52 PM on 05/25/11
Merve
Pennycan Champion
User Info.
Honestly, it's way too difficult to tell who's "selling out" and who's not. If a musician or band starts writing music with wider appeal, how can one tell whether he/she or they are doing it because of record label pressures of because it's the kind of music he/she or they want write? I tend to give musicians the benefit of the doubt, and frankly I don't care if they "sell out" or not. If the music is good, I'll listen to it. If it's crappy, then I won't.
03:52 PM on 05/25/11
Eight30Ninety
User Info.
I dislike the use of the word in general. I don't think I've ever felt like a band that I like has "sold out". Iif I had to peg a definition to it I'd say selling out is when you go against what you really believe in to make money. But again I don't know if I'd use the word sell out. They're allowed to do what they want in order to continue to do what the love, I suppose.
03:54 PM on 05/25/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
The goal of any career is to be successful in that career, why should it change when it's in regards to music? Sure, I wholeheartedly believe that any art should be from the heart but as long as your not betraying yourself than whats the problem? That being said I do believe that there are some "few" actual sell-outs(god I hate that term) that do not care about what they're playing, don't do it for the loe of music and just do it for the money. Do I like them? No. Do I respect them for making it in a dying career? Absolutely.

Cobra
03:55 PM on 05/25/11
AsfAstAswegofar
User Info.
03:56 PM on 05/25/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
If the artist isn't changing their own music for the sole purpose of making money - I don't care what they do with their free time or talents. If an artist freelances on the side for a little extra money, more power to them. Only time I care or is if a band completely abandons a sound or whatnot with the only desire being to get more popular and isn't forthcoming with that. If you fall in love with pop music and want to try a pop album or something, fine by me ... but if it's only to get paid and you're not honest about that ... then it looks whack to me.
03:57 PM on 05/25/11
Eight30Ninety
User Info.
I've never understood why people are so upset with Gabe when it comes to Cobra Starship. Obviously, Midtown did not work out to the point that he could not keep doing it. He ENJOYS Cobra so its not really selling out because its not really like he is hating going into the studio and playing shows and just does it to make a buck. He loves it, and he should be allowed to, right?
03:59 PM on 05/25/11
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
Take a member of a prominent band. Let's use Sean Mackin of Yellowcard cause he's a friend

This brag, it's sick
04:01 PM on 05/25/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
I don't think writing a song for another artist is considered to be selling out. The musician is merely expanding what he can do with his/her talent. However, I feel that a completely drastic change in sound or image for that musician's project can be considered selling out. Basically what Thomas said.
Which is why they can do side-projects.
04:02 PM on 05/25/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
The term "sell out" is just hilarious. And childish. People need to stop using it seriously.

Artists should be allowed to do whatever they want with their art. That's pretty much what it comes down to because at the end of the day, it's not the status or the popularity of the art that dictates its quality.
04:03 PM on 05/25/11
AsfAstAswegofar
User Info.
cough: green day: cough
04:03 PM on 05/25/11
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Selling out means making music specifically for money. Any musician would do it, if given the chance. It would take it's toll on the musician's creativity, but again, the music isn't top priority when it comes to selling out. It's just a way to make a lot of money, and with the economy being so shitty, why not take advantage of big opportunities?
04:05 PM on 05/25/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
Which is why they can do side-projects.
Very rarely do side-projects become more successful than the artist's original project. So just having a side-project wouldn't cover financial things. Unless you want them to be involved in an overwhelming myriad of side-projects where they forget what their intentions are and dies of a drug overdose :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos