Username
Password
Money News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 127.
04:06 PM on 05/25/11
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
It means they're good songwriters. Fine by me. Don't see who would argue against this.
04:07 PM on 05/25/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
I used to think that, too, but I'm not sure anymore.

There comes a point where artists just grow up, and it reflects in their music. Perfect example: blink-182's shift from Take Off to their untitled album. They could only write so many songs about getting probed by aliens, and taking part in beastiality before they realized how old they were. Granted, not all bands hit that point in their career (Bowling for Soup) and more power to them, but for those who do; I defend them for growing up.

Now Linkin Park on the other hand...
04:14 PM on 05/25/11
georgedcc
User Info.
I hear that about Green Day all the time, and I really don't understand it. If you listen to Kerplunk and then listen to Dookie, what's the difference musically? Both are simplistic, but fun pop-punk albums. Dookie contains lyrics about staying in and wanking, its not tailor-made for the radio. After getting massively successful from Dookie, they followed that album with Insomniac, which was a quick, fast punk album that removed a lot of the pop from the album that made them massive. It would have been easy for them to make Dookie pt. 2, but they made the album they wanted to make. American Idiot is also an incredibly ballsy record, they came back after 4 years after the poorly received (but in my mind their best album) Warning with a political album centerpieced by two nine minute multi-part rock songs, completely unlike anything they've ever recorded before.

Green Day are a massive band because they're brilliant, not because they 'sold out'.

I'm genuinely interested in why you think they're sell-outs?
04:19 PM on 05/25/11
georgedcc
User Info.
I used to think that, too, but I'm not sure anymore.

There comes a point where artists just grow up, and it reflects in their music. Perfect example: blink-182's shift from Take Off to their untitled album. They could only write so many songs about getting probed by aliens, and taking part in beastiality before they realized how old they were. Granted, not all bands hit that point in their career (Bowling for Soup) and more power to them, but for those who do; I defend them for growing up.

Now Linkin Park on the other hand...

I'm not a Linkin Park fan, but I don't understand this reasoning. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were massive sellers. The safe "sell-out" option would have been to just make the same album again. They didn't though, since then they've made two very different albums and have taken artistic risks, and have not written simple middle of the road rock songs that would sell well.

That said, I think Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns are awful ha. But still, I respect them for not making the same album over and over.
04:19 PM on 05/25/11
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
If the artist isn't changing their own music for the sole purpose of making money - I don't care what they do with their free time or talents. If an artist freelances on the side for a little extra money, more power to them. Only time I care or is if a band completely abandons a sound or whatnot with the only desire being to get more popular and isn't forthcoming with that. If you fall in love with pop music and want to try a pop album or something, fine by me ... but if it's only to get paid and you're not honest about that ... then it looks whack to me.
Came in here to say this. It's how I feel about it.

I mean it is expected for most artists to change their sound as they grow older but to do so to make money is different game.
04:20 PM on 05/25/11
A Pilgrim
Destroy what you create.
User Info.
At this day and age, there isn't such a thing as selling out. One of my favourite bands is featured on the Transformers soundtrack and even though I fucking hate the movie, I'm happy for them because of the exposure they'll get.

The term "sell out" is just hilarious. And childish. People need to stop using it seriously.

Artists should be allowed to do whatever they want with their art. That's pretty much what it comes down to because at the end of the day, it's not the status or the popularity of the art that dictates its quality.

What the lady said.
04:30 PM on 05/25/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
I'm not a Linkin Park fan, but I don't understand this reasoning. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were massive sellers. The safe "sell-out" option would have been to just make the same album again. They didn't though, since then they've made two very different albums and have taken artistic risks, and have not written simple middle of the road rock songs that would sell well.

That said, I think Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns are awful ha. But still, I respect them for not making the same album over and over.
With all do respect, and I do mean that because I'm not here to spark a shit-war, just to discuss;

I consider MTM where they sold out. I say so simply because Nu-Metal was a dying genre when they went to record MTM. Limp Bizkit had flopped, System of a Down had broken up, and Staind..well, we all know what direction Staind took. So, I think they're more modern-rock/Nickelback sound was where they had hoped to gain sales. Just because they didn't get the sales, doesn't mean they didn't sell-out, because to me; they tried to get those sales.

Then again, this is just my opinion and we'll never really know because we weren't in their heads with them when they decided to write MTM.
04:33 PM on 05/25/11
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
i would say an artist/band are selling out when they no longer enjoy what they're doing, as simple as that. when they've lost the passion and emotion with the music they want to make or hear then what's the point of doing it other than for the money? that's what i call a sell out. not being heard on the radio. not having a hit single. not being on the billboard charts. if a band/artist believe in what they're doing and proud of what they're putting out their then they could never be a sell out to me.
04:34 PM on 05/25/11
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
As I said yesterday, I have an issue when a musician is sacrificing their own integrity for a quick buck. I mean, if Soupy wrote a TWY song about partying so TWY could have a hit single, I'd have a problem with that.
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
Do you guys need to harp on the same stuff week after week? You're over thinking this completely, let the bands play to their select audiences and be fine with it. If La Dispute packs basement's around the country and My Chemical Romance; arenas, who cares? Thats what the bands want to do.

And selling out isnt always selling out. A band like Title Fight could push to become to huge to show DIY ideals to an audience that wouldn't normally see things in that perspective. They could also be making more money, but that doesn't mean their ideals or morals change. You look to deep into this stuff. If Ned wants to write a song for Ke$ha, who cares? More power to him. That doesn't mean he hates all of his friends, family, and background and tours the country in a Dodge Viper
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
"Selling out" isn't so clearly defined.

When most bands sign to most major/large indie labels, they are often forced to make compromises. (Most of the time) when you sign a contract to a label, the label is expecting a certain product from you. You have to shape yourselves into that mold, however loose or tight that is.

Here's something to consider. Thursday wrote War All the Time -- their major label debut -- and delivered it to the fat cats who said "no". They didn't have a single, and Island Records wanted a single, so they sent them away until they came back with "Signals Over the Air".. a fucking fantastic song (that the band loves, too) that would never have been made if the band wasn't forced into that direction.

Another question to ponder...did the label shape the band? Or was the band going there anyway? Did AFI want to put out another The Art of Drowning or punk-rooted album, and Dreamworks pushed them into their more altrock sound with Sing the Sorrow? Or was AFI looking to make that record all along?

I think the pop-culture definition of "sell out" draws great comparisons to the pop-culture definition of "emo". Both are very incorrectly and loosely applied to many inappropriate situations.

What are some examples of bands/artists you think qualify as "selling out"? I'd say most of the cases you'd state are just cases of a band going in with the intention of making a ton of money, but not being able to do so until their "breakout".. they were sellouts from Day One, no one noticed/cared because they hadn't gotten paid.

And who is to say a band "sold out" for incorporating pieces of a new trend? When a new style emerges (the good ones and the bad ones) -- robot vocals, breakdowns, screaming, turntables, electric guitar, backbeats -- a lot of artists want to experiment with those new things.
04:44 PM on 05/25/11
georgedcc
User Info.
With all do respect, and I do mean that because I'm not here to spark a shit-war, just to discuss;

I consider MTM where they sold out. I say so simply because Nu-Metal was a dying genre when they went to record MTM. Limp Bizkit had flopped, System of a Down had broken up, and Staind..well, we all know what direction Staind took. So, I think they're more modern-rock/Nickelback sound was where they had hoped to gain sales. Just because they didn't get the sales, doesn't mean they didn't sell-out, because to me; they tried to get those sales.

Then again, this is just my opinion and we'll never really know because we weren't in their heads with them when they decided to write MTM.
That's fair enough. However, I'd argue that MTM wasn't a "sell-out" album, simply because they were so massive already. LP have sold more albums than anybody else who's debut album was in the 2000s. I'm not sure that sentence makes any sense ha, but their debut album sold nearly 10 million copies. I'd argue that it's impossible to sell-out when you are already one of the biggest bands in the world.
04:46 PM on 05/25/11
georgedcc
User Info.
There's a great Cracked article about selling out, basically arguing that The Beatles, Nirvana and The Sex Pistols are all sell-outs.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19061...lling-out.html
04:46 PM on 05/25/11
JasonTMays
Slaves
User Info.
idk if this was already said...

but I'm all for an artist writing songs for other artist/bands and such if it makes them money great...but on the other hand I'm not about a band that i love having co-writers...to me it just cheapens the music and makes me look at the band differently no matter how good the song maybe. but that's my opinion.
04:48 PM on 05/25/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
That's fair enough. However, I'd argue that MTM wasn't a "sell-out" album, simply because they were so massive already. LP have sold more albums than anybody else who's debut album was in the 2000s. I'm not sure that sentence makes any sense ha, but their debut album sold nearly 10 million copies. I'd argue that it's impossible to sell-out when you are already one of the biggest bands in the world.
Touche. Hybrid Theory is the highest-selling debut of the 2000s, correct? I think that's where you were getting at. Hahaha.

Linkin Park is always an awkward subject, because thirteen year old Logan would argue to hell and back about how they've sold out, but seventeen year old Logan doesn't really care anymore.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests