Username
Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 127 of 127
10:32 AM on 05/26/11
themakebelieve
still the sky's limit
User Info.
the idea of "selling out" is a young man's obsession. the reality of needing money to survive is not considered by the "kids" as bands call them (i hate that term..."the kids were great tonight"...but thats another subject) and the band being able to reach a broader audience is most bands' goal.... for some reason music 'fans' want to be the only people listening to their favorite bands....as if it personalizes it more...
10:43 AM on 05/26/11
PetitnaindesĪles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Fake players are ones that play the game.

Fake players, fake players !
11:16 AM on 05/26/11
amymarissa
Um, hi.
User Info.
I feel like sell-out is such an overused and misconstrued term which most people throw around only when they have nothing else to call a band or artist. To me a sell-out is someone who truly and completely abandons their original sound/message/direction in favor of some big bucks and/or fame. But I don't know if I can name many bands who've really done that. Sure, they might have changed their sound a bit to sound smoother or more radio friendly, but it's not like they're unrecognizable.

Also, trying to keep up with who's a "sell-out" and who's not is more frustration that it's worth.
11:50 AM on 05/26/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
But just doing something as simple as changing their sound, even if their intentions weren't to go to the top, that's not selling out? For example, Saves The Day, they were a strict pop-punk band for years and then they branched out to involve indie elements to their music. Yet their far from selling out because they still open for other bands, they're not on the radio, or the top of the charts. I think as long as they are happy playing what their making and it doesn't compromise who they are or what their goals are, then that's not selling out

The only difference with STD is that the diehard fans stayed by them. I think most old fans that hated In Reverie at first, came to live the album. For me personally, it's my favorite std album now.
11:52 AM on 05/26/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
If the artist isn't changing their own music for the sole purpose of making money - I don't care what they do with their free time or talents. If an artist freelances on the side for a little extra money, more power to them. Only time I care or is if a band completely abandons a sound or whatnot with the only desire being to get more popular and isn't forthcoming with that. If you fall in love with pop music and want to try a pop album or something, fine by me ... but if it's only to get paid and you're not honest about that ... then it looks whack to me.

So, I can be fair in saying I know where you stand on Gabe?
12:58 AM on 05/27/11
ihaveblink
User Info.
Fake players, fake players !
Go to sleep, go to sleep, come on!

My favorite part to that song.
08:12 PM on 06/05/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
this is probably a double standard, but i dont think writing songs for other people is as bad as having your songs written by others

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos