AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Gosling - Here Is... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 94%

Gosling - Here Is...

Reviewed by: Saves The Night (04/17/07)
GoslingHere Is…
Label: V2 Records
Release Date: August 22, 2006

Vibrant, upbeat, creative, and energy driven; these are all words that could describe Gosling. They are a band out of Washington that can be contained within no genre. When I try to think of a way to describe the band, I am immediately reminded of the show tunes of generations ago. They have that old time feeling to them, but it’s a good feeling, and one that sets them apart from most bands that fill the shelves at the local record stores.

The melodies are simply haunting at times and can be very moving, and yet other times I find them to be very in your face and upfront. As far as lyrics go, every track is a different story. Some of the lyrics come off as ill contrived, while others shine. In the end it will depend on the individual as to how the lyrics makes any one person feel. It often had me wondering if it was the same band who wrote all the songs. I even went so far as to check, and I found that it was indeed the same band. It should be mentioned that the majority of the songs are lyrically well written and the ones that made me cringe are far and few.

I found that the lyrics often consisted of a very twisted subject matter. Thus, I would have to assume that there is a good deal of symbolism involved. This is a double edged sword in my book, because while the lyrics are mostly well written, I find I tend to dislike how cryptic some of them are. An example would be in “Worm Waltz” where the song talks about a worm with a flashlight on its head looking for love. Symbolism is always good, but what is the point if the audience cannot connect with what the artists are trying to say? Maybe it’s just me?

Personal favorite tracks for myself would be “Come into my room”, “Waiting for the sun”, and “Here is…” Though the album as a whole consists of, for the most part, 13 well put together tracks.

As far as lasting value goes, the songs are melodic and interesting and it just seems to pull me back to it. It will definitely stay in your ears for a good while if you find you can get into them. Give them a shot and check out their myspace. I believe there is a very niche audience here on the site that will take this album and make it their new obsession.

www.myspace.com/gosling

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
09:28 PM on 04/18/07
Risk The Fall
Risk The Fall
User Info.
This band used to be Loudermilk.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates