Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

AP.net Interview: The Saddest Landscape

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (05/27/11)
An interview with The Saddest Landscape can be read here.
QuoteKids ultimately just got tired of it. They were force fed these little packages and the bands were interchangeable. At a certain point, they were like, "You know what? I don't feel anything from this anymore. The passion is not there. I want to be able to interact with the band. I want to be able to have a sweaty kid next to me. I want to feel like I'm more than a spectator. I want to feel like I'm part of something." I think that's what's really happened over the past couple of years. It's like people really got fed up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:50 AM on 05/27/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
11:06 AM on 05/27/11
ClydeMcAllister
facebook.com/agiftoffictionband
User Info.
great job!
12:09 PM on 05/27/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
I think Adam did a great interview, but I honestly didn't like the attitude of the guys in the band. I like their music, just like I like Touche Amore, Defeater, and La Dispute, but I kinda think they're all too hyped on themselves. From every interview I've read with the dudes in these bands, the vibe is always "everything sucked, then we came along and now everythings awesome!" Its like they think they created some kind of incredibly loving community in music just because people are starting to dig melodic hardcore nowadays. Not to mention that every chance they get they talk about how much better and more genuine they are than every band that doesn't fall into the "newest wave" category. Its just kinda weak. It was a good interview though.
06:22 PM on 05/27/11
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
^ - real talk
06:23 PM on 05/27/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Gracias.
07:05 PM on 05/27/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I think Adam did a great interview, but I honestly didn't like the attitude of the guys in the band. I like their music, just like I like Touche Amore, Defeater, and La Dispute, but I kinda think they're all too hyped on themselves. From every interview I've read with the dudes in these bands, the vibe is always "everything sucked, then we came along and now everythings awesome!" Its like they think they created some kind of incredibly loving community in music just because people are starting to dig melodic hardcore nowadays. Not to mention that every chance they get they talk about how much better and more genuine they are than every band that doesn't fall into the "newest wave" category. Its just kinda weak. It was a good interview though.

So confused by most of this.
12:15 AM on 05/28/11
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
User Info.
I can agree with this. :/
01:35 AM on 05/28/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
So confused by most of this.
In what way? Other people seem to be agreeing with me.
03:31 AM on 05/28/11
Zableon
Music lover
User Info.
great interview. predictable answers. people just need to realize that music comes in waves.
08:04 AM on 05/28/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Great interview!
10:10 AM on 05/28/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't quote any of those dudes because I was looking for backlash, but I don't know how these guys at all seemed anything but humble...
12:46 PM on 05/28/11
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Love this band
02:30 PM on 05/28/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
In what way? Other people seem to be agreeing with me.
10,000,000 smokes can't be wrong right?

what I'm saying is, I'm not sure how, from this interview, you think these guys are full of themselves. I was there when they were upfront for Touche Amore a part of the crowd. When they were at a lot of the shows these bands played during SXSW. What I got from them is that they're happy to be part of something that might be even better than what they started out in.

pull some quotes and we'll talk...
05:45 PM on 05/28/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
10,000,000 smokes can't be wrong right?

what I'm saying is, I'm not sure how, from this interview, you think these guys are full of themselves. I was there when they were upfront for Touche Amore a part of the crowd. When they were at a lot of the shows these bands played during SXSW. What I got from them is that they're happy to be part of something that might be even better than what they started out in.

pull some quotes and we'll talk...

"People who come out to the shows are having fun. You and I and the kids who come out together to these shows and form a community will look back ten years from now and say we saw Touche Amore in a basement and Jeremy fell and cut his head on a cymbal and was bleeding all over the place. It was the sickest thing ever. How many people are going to say, "We saw Black Veil Brides down the street, and their make-up was so sick."

- One of the dudes from Make Do and Mend. Before I get attacked, I’m the FARTHEST thing from a Black Veil Brides fan. But the entire interview is just him talking about how much more genuine and real his band is. And, while that may be true, I feel like its tacky and out of place for an artist to try to advertise that. Let the fans decide. And the “community” he seems to be referencing is just bands that he’s friends with, but whenever they talk about that community, they never really say what it is or what it means.

(The quote from the top of the page)

- Andy Maddox, The Saddest Landscape. He’s doing the same thing here, and then goes on (in the paragraph where he mentions Nirvana) infer that bands like Touche and La Dispute and all the other bands (again, the people that this dude is friends with) are finally getting the scene back to playing really passionate music. Then he infers that what they’re doing is comparable to what Nirvana did. Like I said, they’re all great, I just think that they have this image of themselves as the greatest thing to happen to the scene in ten years. They constantly talk about this “community” but never define it. I’ve been to plenty of hardcore, death metal, indie, post rock, pop, etc. shows where I was more than a spectator, and definitely had sweaty kids next to me. Its not like that JUST happened in the couple years these bands have been getting exposure.

“As far as I am concerned, music didn't exist between 2000 and 2010. There was no music between that time. The bands that I loved and I listened to were my friends. To see what came out in those years and to watch that Myspace bullshit die and burn in flames, it brings a smile to my face every day. Do I think the torch has been passed? Yeah. I think it has. If it hasn't yet, it's about to be. I think there's a lot of exciting things that are about to happen this year that have just been sincere and genuine for years and just have been shit on for commercial, bubblegum bullshit. That's the only word I can describe it as, bullshit. I remember playing in The Progress in 2005-2006 with bands like Metro Station and wondering why the fuck we were there. We were still trying to book shows using the phone. We didn't know what Myspace was. We didn't know how to market ourselves like that. That's not who we were. We were a D.I.Y. band. We were a group of kids playing emo songs. To see that coming back...stuff can only go bad for so long until it collapses. We had to realize, "Hey, if we don't do this for ourselves, nothing is going to happen." That happened. The levee broke and it finally happened. To see that happen nation wide and in Europe and England now, it's so exciting. Everyone now has their finger on the pulse of this really friendly relationship of support.”

- Evan Weiss of Into It. Over It. He basically says “Me and my friends make really genuine music, and for the last ten years that hasn’t happened.” Then he sweet brags (he got mad when I said something about it on tumblr) about how he didn’t use myspace to book shows or promote, like it’s a D.I.Y. dick measuring contest or something. And the whole thing about the torch being passed was totally a slap in the face to Norma Jean, the band in question. I know he probably didn't mean it like that, but these bands seriously seem to put off the vibe that the scene should be thanking god that they came along. These bands won’t ever influence as many people as Norma Jean has, but their attitudes are consistently arrogant, IMO. I would’ve quoted all of the times “community” is used in these interviews, but since none of them really define what it is (or just define it as something that’s already there in this or other genres) I didn’t.

I’m a fan of all these bands, I totally just wrote a book, and I probably came off as an asshole, but those are my examples.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests