AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Downloading vs. Buying -- Your Thoughts

Posted by - 10:24 AM on 04/19/07
Illegally downloading music is a problem (or a blessing, for some) that has been in the media's attention since the advent of Napster. Now, eight years since the launch of the peer-to-peer file-sharing service, it is still a huge issue that gains attention. The RIAA has brought lawsuits among many that they've found to be sharing files and just two days ago, popular music blog Kinixtion was shut down. However, even with all of the threats and punishments that have been given, people continue to illegally download and share music.

We at AbsolutePunk would like to know--how much should CDs be to keep you from illegally downloading? How much would CDs have to be for you to not download illegally (assuming you do)? If you do purchase CDs, what do you find to be an optimal price and why? Keep in mind that record companies need to profit from this, so be reasonable.

As the consumer, what do you think would be the best overall solution to prevent illegal downloading? Is there anything that can be done in your opinion?

Please leave your thoughts in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 499
10:28 AM on 04/19/07
cubz84
Serial Kisser
User Info.
$9.99 to $12.99 is what i usually pay for CDs, and I'm completely fine with it. I dont think there's a good way to prevent illegal downloading. Its just so easy to do, so why not do it? i was into the whole illegal downloading thing for a while, but when i interned at a record label, i saw the people behind the scenes, and met the bands, and i've been buying CDs ever since. $10 is not too much to ask to support your favorite band.

There's nothing like getting into your car after a CD purchase at Best Buy, unwrapping the cd, putting it in your player, and flipping through the book as you listen in the parking lot. I love it.
10:28 AM on 04/19/07
1Roth4
.and the family telephone
User Info.
if cd's were free people would still download them.

people want fast easy access, and cds' don't provide that anymore.
10:29 AM on 04/19/07
duhpunk
i get my energy from my inner G
User Info.
People are going to share music illegally no matter what anyone does. The biggest problem today is that there hasn't been any music that society as a whole can gravitate toward. In the late 90s, there was NSync, Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, etc. Pop was a cultural phenomenon for a few years. As of late, there hasn't been any revolutionary new talent catching the attention of consumers, and that is why CD sales are so low, not because of piracy. If a band is worth buying, fans will more than likely purchase it at some point. But music is like a car. You want to test drive it before you buy it, because for a typical low to middle class kid, 15 bucks an album can get pricey. That is why services such as Napster, iTunes, and Rhapsody are so popular. They offer music immediately, 24 hours a day, for a lower price. I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop illegal sharing. The company needs to find something new and revolutionary. That is the problem with today's music. Most of it is generic. And the bands that are spectacular aren't getting the attention they deserve. Marketable bands with "that look" or "that attitude" are getting excessive credit for something that isn't worth it.
10:30 AM on 04/19/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
A dollar a song seems fair to me.
antlikescheese
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i buy most albums.... i think prices should come down but i dont know if that would make a difference as i reckon people who just download will always just download... also people who enver buy cds do they actualy appreciate music?
turbonium
Registered Gangsta
User Info.
I suggest embracing downloading. Use it as a tool. We know if they keep on relying on a dying thing, when there is something better that exists and is used heavily, instead of trying to fight it, they would work with it and find other ways to make money. I'm not saying stop selling the music, but start making it appealing to have the music or have purchased the album.

EVR does something smart. They know the album is going to leak. They always have pre-orders for their albums for like 14 bucks, that includes a free shirt.
10:32 AM on 04/19/07
PuxRawkPrincess
There's No Shepard Without Vakarian
User Info.
Well, for me unless its a band I really love or a cd I have been waiting to find for a while, I try to not spend more than 10$ unless it is a re-release or a special edition that comes with a dvd and such. I think the last CD that I actually bought that was over 10$ was either +44 or Saosin. That was purely because I finally found the unedited version of +44 and I finally found a copy of Saosin and actually had enough money to get it. But other than that I try to not spend more that $10 per CD.
10:32 AM on 04/19/07
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
User Info.
Under $12 is reasonable.
10:33 AM on 04/19/07
bellaregazza
.:addict for dramatics:.
User Info.
if cd's were free people would still download them.

people want fast easy access, and cds' don't provide that anymore.

agreed..but when its a band i've followed, a band i really like or has sick artwork, i'll buy it.
thewk
Bringing It All Back Home
User Info.
I'm lazy and cheap.
IAPAI
User Info.
I'm sick of listening to a mediocre album and then finding out that they recorded 4 (or sometimes up to 8 - see: Bloc Party's A Weekend In The City) b-sides that could have made the album. 10 song albums are bullshit for the price tag that they are getting.
10:34 AM on 04/19/07
BFunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think that since mp3's that are bought from itunes or places like that are usually more secure than the average mp3 that someone dls off of a p2p or torrent site, the artist should release their album on those mediums and wait some time and then release a cd. they should begin to treat cds like vinyls, only for the collector. my friend (and i agree with him) thinks it's time to phase out the cd!
barbie_glitters
User Info.
there just arent that many good whole cds that come out anymore like back then

now a days artists get lazy and dont really put everything into the cd and only come up with one or two good songs.

im not going to waste 10$ on a cd that i only like 2 songs on.
ya know?

everything these days is getting catchy and stupid. mtv has exploided good bands and made them trash.

if i like the band then i will def. go out and buy the merch to it. -- support them to make more music.
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
User Info.
music downloading is a double edged sword.... if you get rid of it completely a lot of small bands probably wouldn't make it too long.

if a cd is under 10 bucks and i like the band, i usually buy it if i have the extra money on me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos