AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Into It. Over It./Such Gold - Split Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 6.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 10
Production 9.75
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 7
Average: 92%

Into It. Over It./Such Gold - Split

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (06/01/11)
Into It. Over It./Such Gold - Split
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Record Label: No Sleep/Mightier Than Sword

It seems like every time I review a split, I start the review by comparing the two bands in some way. I’ll write about how their sounds complement each other, so doing a split was a great idea, or about how they’re not very similar at all but somehow it makes sense. Well, instead of doing that with Into It. Over It. and Such Gold, I’ll just say that all of the young men involved in this split release are talented and worthy of your ears, and now I’ll shut up and start talking about the music.

Evan Weiss, known better as Into It. Over It., presents us with the last two of his Twelve Towns songs, as we get to hear him sing about Washington, D.C. and Portland, OR this time around. “Washington, DC” is a full-band, high-energy rocker that may not be quite as good as Weiss’ full-band work on the IIOI/KOJI split, but is still more than listenable. “Portland, OR” is easily the better of the two tracks, showcasing Weiss’ calmer vocals with more mellow musicianship. This, in my opinion, is where Into It. Over It.’s best work comes out, sort of in a Death Cab For Cutie-esque setting. With these last two Twelve Towns songs, Weiss only reaffirms my thoughts that he is one of the best songwriters around right now.

The Such Gold side of the split is definitely louder. “Minstrels” is exactly what we have come to expect from this band: a chaotic, drum-led rager of a punk song where Ben Kotin’s rough vocals deliver personal lyrics. “The World That You Live In” steals the show on this split, though, as the short and sweet track is full of fist-pounding one-liners that should transition easily into live shows. It’s exciting to imagine Such Gold ending shows with this number, as the closing lines of, “Nothing that you say will make a difference in me anyway / And besides, I know that you don’t have to be / Part of the world that I live in / Fuck the world that you live in,” leave a resonating air of passion when the split ends.

Into It. Over It. and Such Gold may not bear many similarities on the surface, and after listening to this split countless of times…well, they still aren’t all that similar. Weiss’ complementary rocking and more mellow, indie sides present a harmonic and relatively easy-going half of this release, while Such Gold’s forever-blistering brand of punk-as-hell-pop-punk comprises the more in-your-face half of the split. I don’t know how often I’ll listen to these four songs in this order after I publish this review, but I’ll most likely treasure each of the artists’ contributions as some of the better material in their respective catalogs.

Recommended If You LikeFor Into It. Over It., if you like his past work these two songs are right up that alley. If you've never heard him, I think his more mellow stuff sounds like Death Cab For Cutie. Such Gold sounds like Lifetime.
Follow Me On TwitterMost cool kids do it.
Bare Essentials1. Washington, DC
2. Portland, OR
3. Minstrels
4. The World That You Live In
Run Time: 11 minutes
Star Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
12:09 AM on 06/02/11
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
User Info.
Don't like Such Gold, no interest in them at all, but Evan's side of this sounds incredible. Was talking to him about the full-length last night, excited about it.
12:28 AM on 06/02/11
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
Neat! I think you got your point across well. I like the split, although, I loved IIOI's split with Koji. That split is near perfect.
12:30 AM on 06/02/11
Alexx Miller
Dominic Decoco
User Info.
Neat! I think you got your point across well. I like the split, although, I loved IIOI's split with Koji. That split is near perfect.
I need to get that Koji split!

Great review.
12:53 AM on 06/02/11
HometownHero
User Info.
Truthfully going to check this out because I am from Portland, OR and there is a song on this called that but also a solid review and it dos make it sound quite great.
04:16 AM on 06/02/11
Cøltøn
User Info.
Love this split, which surprised me. I wasn't really super into either of these bands before this but now I love them both.
05:27 AM on 06/02/11
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
i always thought that the album art for this looked like darth vader haha.
05:51 AM on 06/02/11
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Have been just listening to the two Such Gold songs over and over again all week. Does anyone know if they're still doing that split with AL4W?
07:24 AM on 06/02/11
JeffyDomer
Things are the same.
User Info.
Amazing split.
07:39 AM on 06/02/11
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
Evan can do no wrong.
08:09 AM on 06/02/11
Lappin!
User Info.
New Such Gold stuff might take time to grow on me, but still good tracks
08:44 AM on 06/02/11
Hindenburg
DIY Guy
User Info.
this split is utterly amazing, all four songs showcase each bands talents in a different way. great review too, however the IIOI/KOJI split has been my least favorite release from evan. something about the quality of the songs from 12 towns and 52 weeks, i just think he sounds best with those recordings. i hope someday he tours with a full band and plays some of the largely ignored full band songs that i love. such gold's performance of "minstrels" at bledfest was incredible.
08:55 AM on 06/02/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
This is the worst review I've ever read from a terrible reviewer. Garbage.
09:51 AM on 06/02/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I still haven't gotten my copy of the record and I've been putting off listening to the digital download until I can touch the record. Still really excited to hear this.
10:05 AM on 06/02/11
nate_derby
Nate Derby // Such Gold
User Info.
Thanks for the solid review, Thomas. I guess if you had to sum us down to one band...Lifetime would probably it...but that comparison just feels so generic to me. Oh well.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests