Username
Password
New News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
New
Inside AP.net

Introducing Immunity Tape Company

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (06/02/11)
Chris Immunity and Alex Mason have started a cassette tape company known as Immunity Tape Company. Each release will be limited and unique. Their first release will be Turnover's self titled EP, which can be purchased here. More information on the company can be found in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
10:29 AM on 06/02/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Alex Mason and Chris Mounts met several years ago after Alex won a haiku contest ran by Immunity Clothing, owned by Chris. They got to talking and formed a friendship out of their appreciation for the music scene and similar bands.

The idea of Immunity Tape Co. came about one night when Chris stumbled across a casette duplicator for dirt cheap on Ebay. He asked Alex to go halfsies on it and Immunity Tape Co. was born.

We take pride in DIY ethics, which is why everything we produce is done in house. Whether it's duplication, assembly, printing, shipping, etc., there is no one in between us and the bands. We are also working with bands that share the same philosophy and have made a name for themselves with good ol' hardwork. We chose the media of tapes because it lets us truly do everything ourselves. It is a format that is making somewhat of a come back and to be real, this is fun to us. We love music and supporting bands we believe in.

The first release we have scheduled is Turnover's self titled ep. Turnover is a alternative, punk, emo band from virginia beach virginia. they put their first demo out in 2009 and played locally for about a year. they spent that time writing some new songs to put on an EP they recorded winter of 2011.
Some of their influences are Knapsack, Saves the Day, Braid, Jawbreaker, Lifetime.

This run will be limited to 50 (25 via the webstore www.shopimmunity.com, and the rest available on the bands summer tour) it is on a red cassette with hand numbered cases / inserts. Pre-orders are up now and will be shipping on June 14th.

We have a solid list of releases from bands to be announced as the pre-order dates get closer. These are all bands who have made some noise in their respective scenes and we are proud to be working with them. Many of our releases will be limited runs, so stay on top of what we are doing by following us on twitter, www.twitter.com/immunitytapeco , and here on facebook!

We are excited to finally bring this project to life and hope you enjoy what we have in store!

- Alex Mason and Chris Mounts
Immunity Tape Co
10:46 AM on 06/02/11
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
Cassette tapes = taking the retro / nostalgia thing a bit too far.
10:52 AM on 06/02/11
drthvdr
User Info.
I was wondering when you were gonna post about this. I think it's a cool idea. I was stoked when I got Man Overboard's Real Talk on cassette just because it was so limited and it's cool to have something collectible and differet.
10:52 AM on 06/02/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Cassette tapes = taking the retro nostalgia thing a bit too far.

My thoughts exactly.
11:13 AM on 06/02/11
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Yeah, I don't see this as being a sustainable business model.
11:39 AM on 06/02/11
Rodeo
User Info.
There's 34810984873490823740982374239874230 98743 DIY tape labels. How is this different?
12:34 PM on 06/02/11
ALEXMASONRULES
User Info.
Wow, didnt even know this was going up here, awesome.

It is 2011, so I understand the thing against tapes. This was just a fun little idea we threw around and decided to actually make happen. Not really banking on nostalgia, we just thought it was cool that bands like Iron Chic, Stick Up Kid, Half Hearted Hero etc were making tapes and were receiving positive feedback from them, so we wanted to put our friends music out like this. We dont plan to make money and if there is any profit, it goes into putting out the next release. It's more of a hobby than anything, bands could easily do it themselves, but why not just let us if we are willing?

We have a lot of good bands and cool things in the works for the rest of the year, so if you are into it, thanks a lot and stay tuned, if not, it's all good.

-Alex
http://www.twitter.com/immunitytapeco
http://www.facebook.com/immunitytapeco
12:39 PM on 06/02/11
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
Wow, didnt even know this was going up here, awesome.

It is 2011, so I understand the thing against tapes. This was just a fun little idea we threw around and decided to actually make happen. Not really banking on nostalgia, we just thought it was cool that bands like Iron Chic, Stick Up Kid, Half Hearted Hero etc were making tapes and were receiving positive feedback from them, so we wanted to put our friends music out like this. We dont plan to make money and if there is any profit, it goes into putting out the next release. It's more of a hobby than anything, bands could easily do it themselves, but why not just let us if we are willing?

We have a lot of good bands and cool things in the works for the rest of the year, so if you are into it, thanks a lot and stay tuned, if not, it's all good.

-Alex
http://www.twitter.com/immunitytapeco
http://www.facebook.com/immunitytapeco
I definitely think this is a cool idea. Good job! I got yo boys coming to LI end of this month.
01:27 PM on 06/02/11
wormofthesenses
no destiny as seen on tv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the bigger question is, where can I actually buy a cassette deck?
01:38 PM on 06/02/11
ALEXMASONRULES
User Info.
Amazon. $9. lol
01:47 PM on 06/07/11
Rock
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN!
User Info.
It's not that anyone has a thing against tapes, but it's dead technology for all practical purposes. If you're going to go analog, vinyl is obviously the way to go. What good is a cassette tape these days? Most people don't have cassette players in their cars anymore unless you have an older vehicle, so you can't take the music anywhere (unless you're going to play it on your ghetto blaster at the b-ball courts). And you also can't listen to it on any digital device unless you go through the hassle of converting it. And you lose a bunch of quality that way. So really, what's the point? Sorry to rain on your parades, Chris and Alex.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS