Username
Password
Hip-Hop News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hip-Hop
Inside AP.net

Music Executives Meet To Discuss Rap Lyrics

Posted by: Rohan Kohli (04/20/07)
Several influential music industry executives met privately on Wednesday to discuss rap lyrics.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
08:30 AM on 04/20/07
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
"Take away the right to say 'fuck' and you take away the right to say 'fuck the government.'"
08:35 AM on 04/20/07
EmilyRegina
gets music @ www.musicboomerang.com
User Info.
This looks like way more of a PR thing than an actual attempt to change something. There is a huge difference between a racial slur on a talk show and lyrics in a rap song.
08:36 AM on 04/20/07
NFG4ever
Let's go RED WINGS !!
User Info.
What .................. Yeeeeeeeeeahhhh

What ............ YEaaaahhh

Mother fucker , YEaaaaaaa
08:36 AM on 04/20/07
cadence1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
those racist supremacist pieces of dogshit probably think they can censor what people(black) say
08:47 AM on 04/20/07
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Seriously, how can lyrics get any worse with examples like the song 'This is Why I'm Hot'? I hope they're just now realizing what idiots they are and how they're embarrassing themselves by promoting shitty lyrics like "I'm hot cuz I'm fly/You ain't cuz you not." THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.
08:47 AM on 04/20/07
IAPAI
User Info.
those racist supremacist pieces of dogshit probably think they can censor what people(black) say

uhmm.. isn't the whole point that they have been censoring what white people (Don Imus) can say, and now it's become a double standard?
08:56 AM on 04/20/07
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Seriously, how can lyrics get any worse with examples like the song 'This is Why I'm Hot'? I hope they're just now realizing what idiots they are and how they're embarrassing themselves by promoting shitty lyrics like "I'm hot cuz I'm fly/You ain't cuz you not." THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.

That is the most amazing lyric I've ever read.
08:57 AM on 04/20/07
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
how about they meet to talk about how their product is a generic, played-out, seen-the-best-of-it's-days genre? Three 6 Mafia/Cash Money/Lil Jon/Young Jeezy/......IT'S ALL THE SAME....Rim-Spinnin, Cris-sippin, hoe-slappin, crack-slangin, makin-it-rain BULLSHIT. Rap music ate its own when BIG and Pac passed.
09:04 AM on 04/20/07
CHRISRIPPEDOUT
I'm what you would expect
User Info.
freedom of speech will slowly ceased to exist
09:30 AM on 04/20/07
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
there is intelligent rap lyrics that hit mainstream sometimes like lupe fiasco
09:49 AM on 04/20/07
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
I have no problem with insipid lyrics, regardless of the genre. If you want to write the next "My Humps" or "Sk8r Boi," that's your first amendment right to do so, but you have to realize the first amendment is not a safety net. If you write some offensive shit, you have to expect that people are going to be offended and rightly call you out on it.

It becomes problematic when the shit hits the mainstream and consumers gobble it up. They don't stop to consider that they, along with the record companies who push such garbage, are causing the decline in mainstream American music, not piracy. We should be expecting more from our artists and cease to support them when they fail to deliver.
09:50 AM on 04/20/07
CrenshawPunch
User Info.
"Take away the right to say 'fuck' and you take away the right to say 'fuck the government.'"

Yeah man! Take away the right to say Bitch and you can say "suck my dick bitch". Take away the right to say Ho and you cant say " I make it rain on these hos". What's next? Holding doors open for women?

uhmm.. isn't the whole point that they have been censoring what white people (Don Imus) can say, and now it's become a double standard?

Yes, it is.
09:51 AM on 04/20/07
CrenshawPunch
User Info.
freedom of speech will slowly ceased to exist

I think verb tense will go first.
09:52 AM on 04/20/07
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
Good, it's complete bullshit this double standard white people live in nowadays, black people can degrade black women all they want with their so-called "artistic expression and poetry" and if you call that trash which is considered rap music in today's world poetic in any way that's pathetic, it's all the same, talking about your bitches and hos, riding in expensive cars, drinking expensive champagne, and killing rival rappers. Now this isn't a blanket statement, there are some good rappers out there that don't fall into this stereotype, but many many rappers do.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS