Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
09:55 AM on 06/06/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First - This record is absolutely awesome. Currently number two on my AOTY list.
Second - I think it's both the way of the future, but it's definitely a rare occurrence because the industry's not quite there yet. Everyday is still a struggle with labels, cloud service, file sharing, bootlegging, etc. I think down the road, bands won't need labels, but to do it now and be as successful as they have it shows that what I personally believe about bands is still true... you have to be good. They wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are if they weren't as good as they are.
those 10,000 hours you put in are important, that's for sure. i think we'd all be better off in the industry if more bands focused on the music and less on fame.
09:56 AM on 06/06/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Unfortunately, I'm sure that this is such a wonderfully rare occasion where some amazing music reaches a huge audience by word of mouth alone, without the backing of a label. But remember, they've been around for a little while, still. They sat on their Poison & Wine EP for a couple of years.

And there have been a lot a really nice little things to help get them exposure: being featured on Grey's Anatomy, the love from Taylor Swift, and a great Leno performance.

None of this at all should take away from the fact that they are terrific musicians and that Barton Hollow is going to be on a lot of people's year end lists.
but see, people talk about them b/c they've practiced and practiced and refined their sound. when music is good and authentic, people talk. and the people they talk to, they listen.
01:16 PM on 06/06/11
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really don't see how "practice and practice" has any relevance to what I said. They are clearly talented musicians and I love their album (and I loved their EP and tried to get everyone I knew to listen to it), but they've had a lot of things line up for them in order to get their album to the point of popularity that it is at right now. I'm absolutely elated that they have found a greatly deserved amount of success. I'm giving them credit. My point was that this will not be the norm. Most great bands will toil in obscurity without the recognition they deserve.

I do disagree with your idea that people listen to a "practiced" and "refined" band if they are recommended to. It's been my experience that most people tend to listen only to whatever crap is most convenient and hardly make any effort to listen to a recommended performer outside the realm of what they are already complacent with. Most people don't care about original music unless it flies directly into their line of site.
i'm saying it's not the exposure from ads/plays/syncs/etc. just bc you're in a commercial or have a good tv spot doesn't mean you'll pull in sales from it. you will some, but not a ton. unless the music is really good. people talk about good music w/ passion. passion is contagious. that's where real fans (and in turn, sales) come from.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests