Password
General Announcement News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 49.
10:38 AM on 06/06/11
wormofthesenses
no destiny as seen on tv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It just goes to show that what's been killing the industry isn't digital downloads and file-sharing, it's shitty music. When a band puts out a quality album, people are going to pay for it. If they put out a shit album, no one pays for it.

In today's model of get a big online following, sign a deal, record the album, recupe, recupe, recupe, an album like Dark Side of the Moon would never be made. Labels used to put bands on the road for a few years so they could flesh out their sonic identity. These days unless you're moving thousands of copies of your product a quarter, you're fucked.

The music industry killed itself.
10:40 AM on 06/06/11
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
rare and exciting. congrats.
10:49 AM on 06/06/11
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
User Info.
Presently it's a rare occurrence but its also the future.
11:10 AM on 06/06/11
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
very happy for this band. saw them in a small club, and they were gracious and kind, and make dang good music.
11:12 AM on 06/06/11
PhoenixJay
User Info.
I personally think modern recording equipment and internet will make record labels osbolete. I do still think though that there is something to be said of hard copies.
However i am currently typing this our on my nook haha.
11:13 AM on 06/06/11
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
riyl?
11:13 AM on 06/06/11
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
Such a good album. Buy it on vinyl too.
11:19 AM on 06/06/11
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i wasn't that much of a fan of the album tbh.
11:19 AM on 06/06/11
JamesBond
User Info.
Greys Anatomy isn't that big of a factor. Being on an Episode isn't going to make you sell 100k records. Hell, being the song on a national commercial like Ford or Old Navy isn't going to make you sell 100k records. Going on tour with Taylor Swift may help alot but Lights, Maria Taylor, and Band of Horses have all done the Greys Anatomy and TV Commercial Spot and they aren't pulling in those numbers.
11:24 AM on 06/06/11
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
The record industry doesn't know how to handle things lately, at least that's how I see it.

I hope bands will be able to be successful without a label's backing in the future, because they more often than not have too much creative control.
11:32 AM on 06/06/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Props. Very inspirational for someone surrounded by people trying to make music without a label support. I gotta check this album out. Future is looking good.
11:47 AM on 06/06/11
cbaksa
www.acommonyear.com
User Info.
Greys Anatomy isn't that big of a factor. Being on an Episode isn't going to make you sell 100k records. Hell, being the song on a national commercial like Ford or Old Navy isn't going to make you sell 100k records. Going on tour with Taylor Swift may help alot but Lights, Maria Taylor, and Band of Horses have all done the Greys Anatomy and TV Commercial Spot and they aren't pulling in those numbers.
I think you're underestimating how much hearing one good song on a sickeningly popular show influences the viewing public. Thousands of people discovered the band because of that show, I'm sure. The music is what won people over, but I think it's silly to act as if a TV spot isn't a HUGE driver. If you recall, a lot of Americans discovered Phoenix only after "1901" was featured on a Cadillac commercial. Phoenix aren't big because they were on a commercial -- they're big because their music rocks, but a lot of people found them thanks to a 30 second commercial. It makes a difference.
11:49 AM on 06/06/11
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
For years, every time someone succeeds in music outside the traditional model, people [legacy players and adherents] have been quick to claim them exceptions to the rule. But exceptions pile up.

To me, major labels are kind of like religions -- archaic monoliths that are (rather uncomfortably) trying to adapt and find their place in a world that doesn't really need them anymore. Sure, they still have their uses and steadfast believers, but more and more are figuring out how to get along just fine without 'em.

(Not trying to start some theological debate here; I just think it's an apt comparison.)
12:07 PM on 06/06/11
ihaveblink
User Info.
After the grey episode, they had 500,000 hits on their video that was uploaded the day it aired. So no. Also getting a grammy winning producer to produce your debut and have the right people to get your music heard doesn't help.

This band is not that great. Seriously. It's bland Vh1 folk smaltz. Just because they don't have a major label symbol on the back of their CD doesn't mean it's a true independant release.
12:35 PM on 06/06/11
sjb2k1
User Info.
being on grey's = money. the audience that show caters to are music buyers for sure (as opposed to music piraters)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests