AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Motionless in White - Creatures Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Motionless in White - Creatures

Reviewed by: ParkwayOwns (06/09/11)
Motionless in White - Creatures
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: October 12, 2010

Motionless in White, although this being their debut studio album, has been a band for over six years, releasing a few EPs and singles here and there. Let's be honest: Anyone who has listened to their previous efforts and singles has noticed that they were quite immature with their lyrics, whether it be the clearly depicted song, "Santa's Pissed," or most of the songs on their first EP. After first hearing these songs and really listening to their lyrics, I'll admit I laughed, but I also saw a band that would not grow in their maturity and release a cheesy, pointless, unoriginal record like many of the post-hardcore bands out there. Boy, was I wrong and never happier to be.

The record, Creatures, starts out with a bang. "Immaculate Misconception" begins with a heavy, but clever, breakdown and angry lyrics; it very well shows that these guys mean business. The lead vocalist, Chris Cerulli, demonstrates his ability to switch from his impressive low and high growls for a good minute or so into the song. Then, he shows the growth in his clean vocals at the chorus, and I couldn't be happier. Moving from an unnoticeable scream and clean vocal start in their EP to this astounds me. The vocals sound like a mix of Atreyu's cleans and Mike Hranica's screams. In "We Only Come Out At Night," Motionless in White begin to show their secret weapon: their synth.

Now, I know many bands use electronic sounds in their music. For the most part, many use it to add a little dance vibe or just throw it in there for no particular reason. That's not even close to the case in Motionless in White's music. Creatures, no matter what the song, is all based around the setting and story of different made-up horror movies. It is what it is, and that's how I personally like it. The synth's used to darken the mood and add to the ambiance, making it as creepy as possible and adding the cool sound you love in Asking Alexandria and/or We Came As Romans.

I may take abuse for this, but in some of their songs, I can definitely tell A Day to Remember's influence is present (especially in songs "Cobwebs"and ".Com Pt.II)." Anyone who enjoys A Day to Remember, check out those songs; they will fit your taste perfectly and do it better. Like I stated before, the gist of their record is focused on horror and couldn't fit better with songs like "Scissorhands (The Last Snow)"and "Puppets (The First Snow)." Then, they combine everything they do best into two songs: "Creatures" and "Count Choculitis,"

Another thing I absolutely love about Motionless in White is their stand on how people treat each other. The way they dress is about as emo as it gets, which gets them a lot trash talking against them. Cerulli stated once in an interview, "We dress this way because we want to, and I think we would still look like this even if there was no band." I realize this may have nothing to do with the actual album, but I feel it is necessary because many people take one look at the band and label them as wrist cutters. They are not like that. And for all you Bible thumpers, they are not satanic.

Just thought I would answer a couple common questions about the band and clear up the whole emo situation.

Creatures is a great record and a definite step outside the crowd when it comes to post-hardcore. I can't wait for their sophomore effort and to see what they have in store in the future.

Recommended If You LikeOld Atreyu; Asking Alexandria; We Came As Romans; A Day to Remember; The Word Alive

myspace.com/motionlessinwhite

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
05:52 AM on 06/13/11
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
These guys are so good live. :D Good album.
07:38 AM on 06/13/11
sleepingonstone
Ride the Wings of Pestilence
User Info.
This band is pretty generic imo, but I did enjoy this album.
10:08 AM on 06/13/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Wasn't the guy who did their cleans just kicked out?
06:54 AM on 06/14/11
ParkwayOwns
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wasn't the guy who did their cleans just kicked out?
I don't think he did their cleans, he played guitar alone, and yes he was kicked out.
06:17 AM on 07/15/11
Nikon7
Niko Vercelletto
User Info.
I fell in love with these guys when I heard there single abigail before there debut album. There are still one of my favorite bands and this album is great
02:43 PM on 10/01/11
yeamusic21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
another band that is blowing up fast!
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music