AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net (LOST) Interview - Touche Amore / La Dispute (Part Two)

Posted by - 03:00 PM on 06/10/11
You can read the second part of the interview with Jeremy Bolm (Touche Amore) and Jordan Dreyer (La Dispute) here. Head to the replies of the interview to see a follow-up with Dreyer discussing the new album.
QuoteEvery single day you're presented with a million different factors of society that present scrupulous forms of satisfaction. We're so fortunate to have something like punk or hardcore or whatever you want to call it. It really gives an opportunity to get the focus off capitalistic, materialistic, Western society and culture and really put it back into things that really have a value and that can change for the better.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
04:42 PM on 06/10/11
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The amount of pretense associated with these bands is reaching Pitchfork like levels. Still good music though.
04:45 PM on 06/10/11
DemBitties
I ended up as food for wolves
User Info.
I enjoy this very, very much.

Both bands rule and I wholeheartedly agree with their view on the scene's resergence.

People were talking about "Pitchfork-type-pretentiousness" in the comments of the Saddest Landscape's review too. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't necceserily see it.
09:15 PM on 06/10/11
Spartan789013
I have unpopular opinions
User Info.
If You have never heard of either of these bands. I would strongly suggest doing so. They make music that matters.
11:37 PM on 06/10/11
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
Both of these bands are everything that is wrong with the scene.
11:42 PM on 06/10/11
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
I'm going to listen to La Dispute and cry about it.
11:44 PM on 06/10/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Both of these bands are everything that is wrong with the scene.
Please elaborate, I am genuinely intrigued.
11:45 PM on 06/10/11
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
subscribin' in the name of mewithoutyou
11:49 PM on 06/10/11
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
Please elaborate, I am genuinely intrigued.
Their whole attitude is so pretentious. Just because they play hardcore does not make them instantly better than any other band. They aren't even original, they are carbon copies of bands that have broken up. They act like because they play shows in kids basements and sweat that makes them a 'real band" unlike some band that play the house of blues.

Basically their attitude sucks and it's disheartening to see musicians tear down other bands just because they don't play house shows, or "hardcore" music.

I'll type out more thoughts in the morning if you'd like, with examples from other interviews and such.
01:33 AM on 06/11/11
flask
Registered Member
User Info.
Their whole attitude is so pretentious. Just because they play hardcore does not make them instantly better than any other band. They aren't even original, they are carbon copies of bands that have broken up. They act like because they play shows in kids basements and sweat that makes them a 'real band" unlike some band that play the house of blues.

Basically their attitude sucks and it's disheartening to see musicians tear down other bands just because they don't play house shows, or "hardcore" music.

I'll type out more thoughts in the morning if you'd like, with examples from other interviews and such.
please do, because Touche Amore are far from being a pretentious band. never once have I heard or read about them saying bands that play big shows aren't real bands.
01:33 AM on 06/11/11
OhNoVandetosII
User Info.

but yeah pretty much agree, they act like they saved music by coping the old screamo/emotional hardcore bands

although in saying that i wish Australia had more bands like them.... its all just bro-core down here
02:17 AM on 06/11/11
beau blood rush
smoke & mirrors.
User Info.
Yeah I'm a big fan but some of the language used in this interview reminds me of the attitudes of some local hardcore australian bands - i just don't know if even the smallest element of pretense is needed in a scene that is generally looked upon by the rest of the world as 'terrible music' anyway.
04:55 AM on 06/11/11
OhNoVandetosII
User Info.
Yeah I'm a big fan but some of the language used in this interview reminds me of the attitudes of some local hardcore australian bands - i just don't know if even the smallest element of pretense is needed in a scene that is generally looked upon by the rest of the world as 'terrible music' anyway.
uggh im really quite embarrassed by the Australian hardcore scene
...the indie is a little better, but not much, i find a lot of the bands to be very boring with a few gems sprinkled in

although i can only speak for Sydney (although i went to Qld a couple of years ago and the hardcore scene seemed even bigger and just has boring). Whats it like in Melbourne?
04:59 AM on 06/11/11
beau blood rush
smoke & mirrors.
User Info.
uggh im really quite embarrassed by the Australian hardcore scene
...the indie is a little better, but not much, i find a lot of the bands to be very boring with a few gems sprinkled in

although i can only speak for Sydney (although i went to Qld a couple of years ago and the hardcore scene seemed even bigger and just has boring). Whats it like in Melbourne?
It's better than it was.
The more recognition a band gets the less dicky they become, so it's a win/win.
I don't follow the hardcore scene as closely as you might though so i could be wrong.
05:42 AM on 06/11/11
OhNoVandetosII
User Info.
It's better than it was.
The more recognition a band gets the less dicky they become, so it's a win/win.
I don't follow the hardcore scene as closely as you might though so i could be wrong.
eh guess thats good
yeah i pretty much gave up, been to like 3 local show in the last 3 years i think and they were all terrible

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos