AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Set Your Goals - Mutiny! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.07
Lyrics 8.96
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.14
Lasting Value 9.11
Reviewer Tilt 9.46
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Set Your Goals - Mutiny!

Reviewed by: cuff98 (04/23/07)
Set Your Goals - Mutiny
Record Label: Eulogy Records

Set Your Goals.

As inspirational as the name sounds, the musicians provide even more motivation and encouragement with their lyrics and instruments. With bands like New Found Glory, Less Than Jake and others quickly moving into the trendy MTV style hit music, Set Your Goals lets listeners remember a time where music was fun, singers weren’t always crying over their problems, the "scene" kids weren't out looking for a way to fight over who is more punk or emo than someone else, and the only groups who were trying to get a video on TRL were the Backstreet boys and N*Sync. Punk music was fun.

Set Your Goals' follow up to their EP Reset reminds everyone of those times. They ensure that they will never do what bands like Good Charlotte have done, and they will forever have fun with their music because that’s what they live for - not the fame or the money they receive from it (in fact Matt told audiences that he sold his car for the van they use to tour with). This CD, while just short of 30 minutes can be replayed over and over again until the ears bleed. Never before have I listened to a CD so uncontrollably and was forced to sing along. The last time I got this feeling was when New Found Glory came out with their self-titled album.

The album opens up with a much softer tone than the gang lyric type singing they had produced in Reset. In "A Work in Progress" Matt and Jordan open with a soft melody, and then picks up within 50 seconds to speak out (literally) to the audience and let them know that they mean business. The song starts out slow and picks up within 2 minutes grabbing the ears of anyone listening. The next 2 song of the album seem to act as a strong lead up (adding only up to 1:10) and then suddenly the guitars sound "a full blown assault" - Mutiny- the most well known song of the album. "Mutiny" lets the listeners know that Set Your Goals is one hell of a talented band, acts as an anthem and tells of the intentions they have for the music industry. They prove a point- with so many bands out there, why must they fold under the pressure of their labels? Eulogy seems a proper place for them.

Just as "Mutiny" fades out, "This Song is Definitely Not About a Girl" blasts through your stereo. Midway through the song, the bass blasts into a breakdown-like portion of the song, reminding me of the bass used in "Cadillac" by Mest. An "Old Book Misread" seems to be the main weakness of this album, breaking up the flow of the music and seeming to lack the energy provided in previous songs. “This Very Moment” makes up for the 6th song, thumping and breaking down to a growl that will make you want to move in any way that could go along with the music. The ninth song on the album "To Be Continued..." while criticized for its predictability, is a strong point of the album. However, I will admit, that like the 6th and 8th song of the album it does lack the energy at times that Set Your Goals is loaded with. On the plus side, it shows the pop-punk side of the band but also provides a memorable breakdown. The following two songs, "Don't Let this Win Over You" and "Echoes" flow as if one song. "Don't Let this Win Over You" while short, if looked at closely can lift the spirits of any tortured soul. "Echoes" does so as well, inspired by some low-point in the lyricist's life. They have told audiences that this may be the most meaningful song to them. "Mutiny" ends brilliantly with the voices of Matt and Jordan echoing with "Da da da's" fading away into the guitars. This, I believe is the most touching part of the cd, sending chills up spins from 2:03 seconds into the song until the very end.

So, if the main reason of this review is to recommend this album to the public, then I hope your minds are open and my message is clear: Mutiny is one of the most uplifting and exciting albums of 2006. Who do they sound like? I believe Alternative Press magazine said it best: New Found Glory after 8 cans of red bull. Never before have I felt so strongly about a band and their future. Set Your Goals’ message is clear and while we don’t know where they are headed, they sure as hell won’t forget where they’ve been.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
03:58 PM on 04/25/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
the end of "Echoes" also gets me everytime. Such a good song.
08:43 PM on 04/25/07
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
Favorite album of last year, I love this band.

People who are Set Your Goals fans should also check out Daggermouth, they are really good as well.

www.myspace.com/daggermouth
05:00 AM on 04/26/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
One of 06's Best Albums fo sho.
05:37 PM on 04/27/07
fromoc2dc
Here's Your Future!
User Info.
It's the only the CD I listen to when I go running. I can't help but sing along. Top 5 of '06 for me.
08:46 PM on 04/27/07
Zach Cool
shitsville.
User Info.
Perfect review.

I think this was my favorite of '06.
10:04 PM on 05/01/07
i go by eric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dead Men Tell No Tales/Mutiny! is priceless, and double that played live.
09:59 PM on 05/02/07
BruisedxBroken
Our song, the sound of suffering...
User Info.
Favorite album of last year, I love this band.

People who are Set Your Goals fans should also check out Daggermouth, they are really good as well.

www.myspace.com/daggermouth

set your goals and daggermouth = the only reason why i still listen to music these days.

good call!!!
08:16 AM on 05/03/07
soxstarryxeyed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not to mention, they are amazing live.

and super nice guys.
10:14 PM on 06/21/09
FishManAlex
User Info.

SUPPORT!!!
03:13 PM on 08/14/11