AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Flatfoot 56 - Knuckles Up Album Cover

Flatfoot 56 - Knuckles Up

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Flatfoot 56Knuckles Up
Label: Flicker Records
Release Date: June 27, 2006

Who?

Flatfoot 56 will probably kick your ass for even asking such a question. They won’t use guns or knives either, they will use bagpipes and mandolins. You guessed it, they are a bunch of Irish dudes from Chicago. Oh, you didn’t guess it? No matter, Flatfoot 56 is Oi! punk at its smartest, fastest, and probably, drunkest.

How Is It?

Knuckles Up is an album about culture. Street brawls, poverty, national differences, you name it, Flatfoot 56 touch on it. Adding to the worldly flair, pretty much every track has a blistering (or something like that) bagpipe or mandolin solo. Traditional Celtic song structures are easily mixed with punk riffs and brain-numbing drums on tracks like “This Town” and “Brotherhood”. Knuckles Up is an accomplishment in (really) old meets new. And by new, I mean filthy sing-alongs perfect for that bar crawl your wife knows nothing about. “No honey, that’s not puke. It’s oil paint from the art museum.”

Recommended If You Like: Cockney Rejects, spiked bracelets, Sham 69, deep dish pizza

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
12:52 AM on 04/27/07
Triscuit Ramone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Odd review. I doubt the drunken part. The members are Christians...Band does rock.
01:52 AM on 04/27/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Odd review? That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Ah yes, I forgot Christians don't drink. or dance. or read messageboards.

<3,
Blake
08:51 PM on 04/27/07
dmlax08
User Info.
Yeah, I saw these guys in Virginia last year and talked with them at their merch table for a while. They're really chill guys and they are pretty funny. CDs not bad either. I THINK they have a new one out, as well.
11:41 PM on 04/27/07
vesselofmercy84
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
Ah yes, I forgot Christians don't drink. or dance. or read messageboards.

Thats funny I'm a Christian and I do all those.... oh well so much for stereo types bottoms up me lad's
01:41 AM on 04/30/07
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
Yep, they have a new album coming out...."Jungle of the Midwest Sea."

And even though christians drink and all that stuff you're arguing about, the point is, Flatfoot56 is not a band of drunks.
11:24 AM on 04/30/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
that isn't the point at all. The point is that this is good music. Why do so few people lack the ability to get past a simple joke? Obviously I have no idea whether this band has ever drank anything but lemonade. Who cares? I'm sure Flatfoot 56 "appreciate" you sticking up for them, but when you are "arguing" with a guy who laughs at every "poop" or "pee" he hears, it makes things seem a little worthless, huh?

Good band, closet drunks.
12:24 PM on 04/30/07
animmortalsoul
The Headless Horseman
User Info.
that isn't the point at all. The point is that this is good music. Why do so few people lack the ability to get past a simple joke? Obviously I have no idea whether this band has ever drank anything but lemonade. Who cares? I'm sure Flatfoot 56 "appreciate" you sticking up for them, but when you are "arguing" with a guy who laughs at every "poop" or "pee" he hears, it makes things seem a little worthless, huh?

Good band, closet drunks.

I thought it was funny.
03:10 PM on 04/30/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

there is hope, yet!
04:34 PM on 05/04/07
irishpunk14
User Info.
great band and great cd.
02:24 PM on 05/27/09
melgosa41
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have both there albums and have seen them live twice deffinaly worth buying for anyone and i have talked to the lead singer toban and there drummer there really sweeet

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos