AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (06/15/11)

Posted by - 08:03 AM on 06/15/11
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:03 AM on 06/15/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together:

Technology Round-UpPoll

Iceland is using Facebook to draft a new constitution. Good idea or bad idea? [Poll]

Apple

Apple and Nokia have settled their patent dispute. Apple will pay a one-time fee to Nokia as well as ongoing licensing fees.

Apple is now selling unlocked GSM iPhone 4s for $649.

OmniVision will be the main supplier of 8-megapixel camera chips for the iPhone 5.

iOS 5's iMessenger will allow proprietary chat across all iOS 5 devices. Wireless carriers were "surprised" by the announcement.

Check out more iOS 5 feautures.

A tethered jailbreak for iOS 5 is available.

Check out the most common iPhone passcodes. You might want to change yours if it is on this list.

PhoneIt-iPad claims to turn an iPad into a phone.

Apple is recalling some Verizon iPad 2 units that were released with identical digital serial numbers.

Apple is being sued by iCloud Communications for patent infringement. Speaking of iCloud, Apple has announced that Windows XP customers will need to upgrade their OS to use the service. Also, the iTunes Match service may not be available in the UK until 2012.

iBooks 1.3 will read children's books aloud for lazy parents.

Apple has banned DUI checkpoint apps from the App Store. They have also changed their rules regarding in-app purchases.

Banned software that users purchased in the App Store appears to be available for download again in the iCloud beta. Apple may change this situation very quickly as it is likely a glitch rather than a feature.

Cupertino, California is set to get an Apple "Spaceship" campus that will hold 20,000 employees.

Internet

Google isn't the only company offering 1-gbps internet. Sonic.net has started its trial in California for a mere $70 per month.

Twenty parks in New York City are getting WiFi connectivity courtesy of AT&T.

SugarSync makes transferring files to iOS far simpler.

HP is apparently trying to come up with an iCloud rival.

Spotify has landed a deal with UMG, so Warner is now the only remaining major label with which it does not have a contract.

Sony, Panasonic, and some other companies will start offering a cross-platform e-book service.

Codemasters' website was hacked exposing the accounts of tens of thousands of users.

Google

Google has announced search by image and voice search for desktop.

Gmail now supports copy and paste of images into e-mails for Chrome users.

YouTube now supports HD previews and the ability to play videos without the YouTube logo.

Electronics

The Wii U and Playstation Vita have been officially unveiled. The Wii U will be more powerful than the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 despite featuring a last-generation Radeon chip. The storage for the Vita will, not surprisingly, be Sony's proprietary format cards. The device will not feature video out.

Airplanes of the future will get energy from the passengers onboard (via extracting heat, not forcing people to run on hamster wheels). And we thought regenerative braking on cars was cool...

A Russian ATM uses voice analysis to determine when credit card applicants are lying.

TiVo has announced the Premiere Q and Preview boxes.

Comcast will integrate Skype into its cable boxes and mobile apps.

Logitech has announced a 720p-recording webcam compatible with SkypeHD for $80.

Garmin will purchase Navigon.

Vuzix Star is offering augmented reality glasses for only $5,000 (yes, the word "only" is appropriate in this case).

Check out a review of the Kobo eReader Touch Edition.

Mobile

AT&T states that its acquisition of T-Mobile will not have adverse effects on competition.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has been all-but-officially confirmed for AT&T.

Check out a preview of the Droid/Milestone 3.

The Motorola Photon 4G features a 4.3-inch screen and Tegra 2 inside.

Motoblur is no more...well at least the Android skin won't be called Motoblur anymore.

HTC has given up attempting to port Gingerbread to the Desire.

The latest Droid Charge update restores the personal hotspot feature and adds other improvments.

T-Mobile has discontinued the G2. Your round-up author is still annoyed that they chose to name his far superior phone the "G2x" since the two have nothing in common other than running Android (albeit different versions).

Apps

Find the hottest late-night spots with SceneTap.

Bing Mobile has been updated with minor interface enhancements.

Find decent movies using Roger Ebert's Great Movies app.

Ensure that deleted files are unrecoverable with SHEDroid for Android.

The Android Market now checks app compatibility with specific devices.

Keep track of your iPhone data consumption with DataMan.

Computer/Tablet

AMD has announced its A-Series fusion chips, which are hybrid CPU/GPU chips that feature DirectX 11 support and 10.5 hours of battery life. These chips should be pretty impressive if they can deliver on these specifications.

Rumor has it that developers are "horrified" about the structural changes of Windows 8. In more positive news, Microsoft has announced that Xbox Live integration will be built into the OS.

American Airlines will be switching out 6,000 in-flight entertainment systems with Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1-inch tablets.

Swype 3.0 on Honeycomb will feature predictive tap, a tablet-resizeable keyboard, and a movable keyboard. Visit the link for a promotional video.

Moneta Onyx has a new type of SSD that can write data seven times faster than existing drives.

Toshiba has a new line of Qosmio laptops on the way.

HP's Pavilion and ProBook laptops now feature the AMD Llano APU.

Logitech plans to release the G400 wired optical gaming mouse to replace the MX518.

Tips/Tricks

Lifehacker has written a guide on how to get out of most types of trouble.

Turn off calculations in Excel to speed it up.

Find the best credit union for you with NerdWallet.

Give up trying to win arguments on the internet (this should probably be a required read for most AP.net forum posters).

Add tabbed browsing to Windows Explorer with QTTabBar.

Add Greasemonkey scripts to Android with TamperMonkey.

Miscellaneous

Doctors at the Texas Heart Institute have developed a fully-functioning artificial heart that produces no discernible pulse.

Speaking multiple languages may help stall Alzheimer's.

--
Contributor: CyberInferno
08:59 AM on 06/15/11
Simulcast
You're not a teammate on my team
User Info.
Quote:
HTC has given up attempting to port Gingerbread to the Desire.

Scratch that.
09:53 AM on 06/15/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I thought the 8MP camera for the iP5 was still up in the air?

Edit: Also, I wish so, so badly that Swype would come to the iPhone.
10:16 AM on 06/15/11
woominlee2
Always a student of life.
User Info.
Lots of good stuff.
Thanks for putting this together!
10:18 AM on 06/15/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
GBPS? That's just crazy.
10:25 AM on 06/15/11
S7ranburgLar
We're not for them(and that's cool)
User Info.
Canada would need to get on top of these ridiculous bandwidth caps and fees before those crazy download speeds would be beneficial. $2/Gb after download limit of 20Gb? Terrible.
10:42 AM on 06/15/11
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Hey, it's back!
11:01 AM on 06/15/11
Kiguel182
life is a test and I get bad marks
User Info.
Glad this is back, love this feature.
08:35 PM on 06/15/11
esposimi
The System Is Down
User Info.
Apple not supporting 10-year old XP with iCloud is total bullshit, considering that the newest iTunes runs on it (and on Mac it requires Leopard which is only 4 years old), is way faster than Win7 on comparable hardware, and is still the world's most popular operating system! See http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/windo...in-the-icloud/ and http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...der=1&qprid=10
06:47 AM on 06/16/11
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Perhaps HTC didn't want to get shown up by unofficial developers after all!
I thought the 8MP camera for the iP5 was still up in the air?

Edit: Also, I wish so, so badly that Swype would come to the iPhone.
It appears to be less of a rumor now. I think with every other phone coming out with at least 8-megapixel cameras these days, it would be hard for Apple to give other phones that edge.

I agree about Apple needing to incorporate developer keyboards. I'm not sure why that part of iOS is locked down so much. I would have thought that at least jailbreak swype-style keyboards would be implemented, but the only enhancements to the stock keyboards so far have been the addition of extra key rows.
Lots of good stuff.
Thanks for putting this together!
Glad this is back, love this feature.
Thanks for commenting :) It's good to be back!
GBPS? That's just crazy.
Crazy indeed. Sadly you would need to be downloading extremely large files from torrents to get anywhere near reaching your maximum capacity for download speeds. No servers will let you get anywhere near that.
Canada would need to get on top of these ridiculous bandwidth caps and fees before those crazy download speeds would be beneficial. $2/Gb after download limit of 20Gb? Terrible.
Yeah that's pretty insane. I think the way T-Mobile seems to be handling it is decent. I have a 2GB limit and I'm technically speed-capped after that, but I'm still able to get at least 3 or 4 mbps with good signal once I have passed my limit (which surprised me quite a bit).
Apple not supporting 10-year old XP with iCloud is total bullshit, considering that the newest iTunes runs on it (and on Mac it requires Leopard which is only 4 years old), is way faster than Win7 on comparable hardware, and is still the world's most popular operating system! See http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/windo...in-the-icloud/ and http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...der=1&qprid=10
I agree and disagree. I would like for Apple to give more justification as to why Windows XP is not supported. If there are technical limitations, I completely understand that Apple does not want to take the time and energy to work around those for an aging operating system (even if it is still popular). If Apple is just arbitrarily saying that Windows XP should no longer be supported, then I disagree with the decision.

At the same time, we have to remember that Windows XP was released around the same time as Mac OS X 10.1. The operating system is old. And while it will of course run better on older machines than Windows 7, that argument could be made for any older operating system with compatible hardware. Does Ubuntu 4.10 (released in 2004) run better than Ubuntu 11.10 on similar hardware? Of course! Heck, why don't we go back to running Windows 98SE? Talk about a fast operating system! People held their breath running Windows 98SE for years after XP's release with that same argument despite the fact that XP was a far superior OS in every way.

The speed argument loses ground when looking at similar new hardware. Any new Core i-series processor with > 4GB of RAM will run far better on Windows 7 than Windows XP because the newer OS takes advantage of the hardware better.
07:15 AM on 06/16/11
Kiguel182
User Info.
Perhaps HTC didn't want to get shown up by unofficial developers after all!

It appears to be less of a rumor now. I think with every other phone coming out with at least 8-megapixel cameras these days, it would be hard for Apple to give other phones that edge.

I agree about Apple needing to incorporate developer keyboards. I'm not sure why that part of iOS is locked down so much. I would have thought that at least jailbreak swype-style keyboards would be implemented, but the only enhancements to the stock keyboards so far have been the addition of extra key rows.

Thanks for commenting :) It's good to be back!

Crazy indeed. Sadly you would need to be downloading extremely large files from torrents to get anywhere near reaching your maximum capacity for download speeds. No servers will let you get anywhere near that.

Yeah that's pretty insane. I think the way T-Mobile seems to be handling it is decent. I have a 2GB limit and I'm technically speed-capped after that, but I'm still able to get at least 3 or 4 mbps with good signal once I have passed my limit (which surprised me quite a bit).

I agree and disagree. I would like for Apple to give more justification as to why Windows XP is not supported. If there are technical limitations, I completely understand that Apple does not want to take the time and energy to work around those for an aging operating system (even if it is still popular). If Apple is just arbitrarily saying that Windows XP should no longer be supported, then I disagree with the decision.

At the same time, we have to remember that Windows XP was released around the same time as Mac OS X 10.1. The operating system is old. And while it will of course run better on older machines than Windows 7, that argument could be made for any older operating system with compatible hardware. Does Ubuntu 4.10 (released in 2004) run better than Ubuntu 11.10 on similar hardware? Of course! Heck, why don't we go back to running Windows 98SE? Talk about a fast operating system! People held their breath running Windows 98SE for years after XP's release with that same argument despite the fact that XP was a far superior OS in every way.

The speed argument loses ground when looking at similar new hardware. Any new Core i-series processor with > 4GB of RAM will run far better on Windows 7 than Windows XP because the newer OS takes advantage of the hardware better.
will the updates be regular now?
07:18 AM on 06/16/11
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
will the updates be regular now?
I definitely plan to keep the updates running. During the hiatus I got engaged and bought a house (which actually closes tomorrow), so I think I've got most of my major events out of the way for a while and will have time to pump out regular updates
07:36 AM on 06/16/11
Kiguel182
User Info.
I definitely plan to keep the updates running. During the hiatus I got engaged and bought a house (which actually closes tomorrow), so I think I've got most of my major events out of the way for a while and will have time to pump out regular updates
putting your engagement in front of Ap.net?! you really should check those priorities ;)

but anyway, congrats on that and looking forward to more updates
08:52 AM on 06/16/11
woominlee2
Always a student of life.
User Info.
Congratulations and thank you for keeping us updated during such a busy and important time of your time.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos