AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Stretford End - 06.11.11

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (06/16/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

STRETFORD END

Alexander (guitar and vocals)
Prentice (drums)
Joey C (Bass)

http://www.facebook.com/stretfordendband
http://www.twitter.com/stretfordend
http://www.stretfordendband.com

1. How did you get your band name?

PRENTICE: I was on the tube going to Manchester from London with my old mate David Beckham, and I was complaining to him that I just couldn't think of the perfect name for my new band. David leapt up and pulled the emergency brake, causing the train to come to a screeching halt. He locked eyes with me and whispered two words: "Stretford End".

2. How did this band get started?
ALEXANDER: I had managed to secure an 8:30pm reservation at Dorsia and told Prentice and Joey to meet me there. I was coming from a meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons which had been rather lackluster, as I had been preoccupied with my dismay at the current state of popular music in America. I felt that we needed a return to the type of timelessness that we heard with Whitney Houston's debut LP, simply called "Whitney Houston". Although it is hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, I knew that the guys would instantly identify with "The Greatest Love Of All"; one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation and dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. It's almost impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, but we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album. I conveyed this to Prentice and Joey at dinner, and they agreed.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
JOEY: Phil Collins, Huey Lewis and The News, Whitney Houston and The Onders.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
ALEXANDER: Green Day, Our Lady Peace, Muse, 30 Seconds To Mars, Gloria Estefan.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

PRENTICE: We enjoy the squid ravioli in a lemon grass broth with goat cheese profiteroles on weekends. During weekdays we find ourselves choosing between the swordfish meatloaf with onion marmalade and the rare roasted partridge breast in a raspberry coulees with a sorrel timbale.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
ALEXANDER; We combine soaring vocals, thought-provoking lyrics, solid rhythms and haunting melodies into an incredibly catchy wall of music.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
PRENTICE: DEFINITELY Cristiano Ronaldo!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
ALEXANDER: My family.
JOEY: It's who I wouldn't thank, that's the real question…
PRENTICE: Gus Cryns AKA Boy Genius.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
ALEXANDER: The total focus on product before art and creativity. There is no reason that music can't grow and push new boundaries while still being amazingly catchy and marketable.
JOEY: I would put US in it.
PRENTICE: I would fire everyone who thinks that autotune compensates for talent.

10. Memorable tour experience?
JOEY: We can't remember a f**king thing.
ALEXANDER; We enjoy parking our van outside of elementary schools and offering free candy to impoverished youths.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
ALEXANDER: It's a magical land filled with joy and joyness where fans and bands can come together.
PRENTICE: What IS this?!? Are we in Narnia?!?
JOEY: It's absolutely punk, as opposed to possibly punk.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
ALEXANDER: Whichever one we just finished writing.
JOEY: "The Fates".
PRENTICE: "SexyBack".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
ALEXANDER: Italy.
JOEY: The North Pole.
PRENTICE: England and Ireland.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
ALEXANDER: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto #2 In C Minor, Op. 18 - 1. Moderato.
JOEY: Any Elvis song.
PRENTICE: "California Love" by Tupac.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
ALEXANDER: The power to provide for all those in need.
JOEY: The power to remove women's clothing with a single thought.
PRENTICE: I'M BATMAN.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
ALEXANDER: Yes, but I CAN'T TELL YOU OR THE WOMBATS WILL KNOW.
JOEY: I always wear protection. You never know.
PRENTICE: I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

ALEXANDER: That we're in a band.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

ALEXANDER: Mainstream radio has become completely and utterly profit driven, much like the industry itself. Of course it's important that everyone is making money, but radio stations increasingly seem to care only which songs are currently on the Top 40 and have little to no interested in actually exposing their listeners to new music, their original purpose. This not only makes it incredibly hard for emerging bands to break into the market, but robs the listener of a free and public way to discover new music.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

ALEXANDER: I floss.
JOEY: Drink. It makes the voices stop…..for a little while.
PRENTICE: I provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
ALEXANDER: I make a mean marinara sauce.
JOEY: I can impact the pavement with my head at 25mph and still play a show.
PRENTICE: Letting Alex believe he can make a "mean marinara sauce".

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
02:20 AM on 06/17/11
tottivillarossi
rockfreaks.net
User Info.
Haha. Wat.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates