Password

Album Review

Voice Like Rhetoric, A - Ethos Album Cover

Voice Like Rhetoric, A - Ethos

Reviewed by
A Voice Like RhetoricEthos
Release Date: October 23rd, 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

The debut full length from PA rockers A Voice Like Rhetoric is an impressive foray into the world of math rock. Conveying a new level of technicality and pop sensibility, Ethos is one of the most accessible contributions to the genre, simultaneously pleasing fans of The Fall Of Troy and Senses Fail. Despite the range of comparative bands, A Voice Like Rhetoric manage to mold their influences into something both catchy as hell and wholly their own.

Musically, many comparisons will be made to the recent outcropping of bands like Hot Cross and The Fall Of Troy that use angular guitar riffs and start-stop rhythms to inject life into the hardcore genre. These comparisons are not that far off, as A Voice Like Rhetoric do utilize these tactics, but to write them off as a copycat band would be a huge injustice. After a brief intro, the album kicks off with “Never Trust A French Auto Mechanic”, a great opener and introduction to the band for people unfamiliar with their sound. Sustained vocal notes peppered over harmonized guitars show that there is some genuinely good songwriting ability to go along with the instrumental skills. Guitarists Ross Horvith and Erik Pitluga have come a long way since the band’s 2004 EP. Trading off vocals and guitar lines, the duo make up a truly interesting team capable of intimidating and tasteful moments that transition from urgency to beauty in a heartbeat. Take for example “Psst, Our Vestiage Is Showing”, a 5-minute roller coaster ride through an amalgam of different progressive styles. The song displays A Voice Like Rhetoric’s knack for crafting intricate tracks that can meander off into extended instrumental jams while remaining completely coherent and cohesive. The song arrangements are well thought out, with each song following a vastly different structure than the one preceding it. Perhaps the most technical song, and best for that matter, is the closing track “Your New Disco-Tech”. The song is a showcase of the skills of every member of the band with piercing guitars and even a bass guitar solo. The band demands to be heard here with an urgency that emanates as if it is imperative to your health to listen. It’s great to hear an album that only gets better as it progresses instead of fizzling out after a strong first half.

While it may not be a life-changing album, Ethos is certainly worth a listen. The production is lacking a little in points, but this is the debut album from an independent band, so that much is to be expected. This factor does not take away from the album too much, but it would be great to hear a crisper sound to go along with the tightness of the instruments. Lyrically, the album could use a little extra boost. The words are by no means bad, just safe. At moments, they are spot on with the mood of the song, but at other points, they seem a little too commonplace. Half the time your head will be bobbing so hard that it’ll be easy to forgive this arguable shortcoming. Overall, Ethos is a solid example of the DIY ethic right down to the superb packaging and album art containing the album. Given the chance to evolve, become more comfortable playing with each other and a bigger production budget, A Voice Like Rhetoric could become a force to be reckoned with in the math rock world. Until then, Ethos isn’t a bad place to start.

Tracklisting1. Billy Enforcie
2. Never Trust A French Auto Mechanic
3. Please Don’t Call Me A Mindless Philosophy
4. Breathing Is Believing
5. Familiarity Breeds Contempt
6. Man, Multiplication Is Hard!
7. Psst, Our Vestige Is Showing
8. Foxhole
9. I’m Sort Of A Perfectionis…Perfectionis..T
10. The Dutch Are Practical, It’s A Hub
11. Your New Disco-Tech
Listen to A Voice Like RhetoricMyspace | Purevolume
This review is a user submitted review from Tom Good. You can see all of Tom Good's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
02:05 PM on 04/26/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome review Tom! I have heard of these guys awhile back, good stuff
02:10 PM on 04/26/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome review Tom! I have heard of these guys awhile back, good stuff
They're from around your area aren't they? I plan on seeing them when they come to Philly.
04:32 PM on 04/26/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
They're from around your area aren't they? I plan on seeing them when they come to Philly.

Nah Pittsburgh is reallllly far haha I actually only live like a half hour from Philly
04:48 PM on 04/26/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
sounds like a cool band, thanks for the heads-up
09:04 AM on 04/27/07
LocalBandBitch
*Pretty As A Car Crash*
User Info.
oh my god i love these guys, i used to go see em all the time :)
09:22 AM on 04/27/07
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
i like these guys. how could i get my hands on this?
09:47 AM on 04/27/07
kallok
The Man
User Info.
I remember them... didn't know they were still kickin'.
10:17 AM on 04/27/07
BettyDavisDance
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good for these guys
10:22 AM on 04/27/07
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
yeah good guys. my band played with them last month. they put on a good show.
10:23 AM on 04/27/07
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
from Pittsburgh?

never heard of em
10:40 AM on 04/27/07
rosematter
myspace.com/rosematter
User Info.
This band is incredible. As good as this CD is, wait till you see the live show they bring to the table. Absolutely amazing.
10:49 AM on 04/27/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
i like these guys. how could i get my hands on this?
Check them out live. I think it's on interpunk too.
11:16 PM on 04/27/07
shaylovesyoux3
m4k3 ton1ght
User Info.
i saw these boys sometime last year. they were playing at an A Loss For Words show. and me and my best friend hung out with them for basically the whole show. since the other bands sucked....and the kids there were all gothic and had chains and shit on them. but anyways, i love this band, and they are really nice guys.
09:19 AM on 05/06/07
mrahmad666
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
gonna have to check them out,there pretty close to me

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT