AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Taking Back Sunday - New Again Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 6.75
Production 5.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.85
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.15
Production 6.35
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 5.85
Reviewer Tilt 6.65
Average: 64%
Inside AP.net

Taking Back Sunday - New Again

Reviewed by: jordalsh (06/19/11)
Taking Back Sunday - New Again
Record Label: Warner Bros.
Release Date: June 2, 2009

I know many of you felt a sense of loathing when you saw this review pop up here on AbsolutePunk. I know many of you felt it out of hatred for this album, and some of you out of tiredness of the controversy it has brought. I know many of you, in the wake of the return of the Tell All Your Friends lineup of Taking Back Sunday, would very much like to forget that New Again ever saw the light of day. I know this has got to be the one thousandth review of New Again on this site. Do me a favor, though, and hear me out. This will be quick and painless, I promise. It's been two years now, and I want all of us to just take one last look back, whether you love or hate it.

New Again is not terrible. Its not the worst album ever to befall music. At least, not in my opinion. You see, as the album begins and the title track fades in, one does not spontaneously combust. I myself thoroughly enjoy Matt Rubano's opening bass line. I enjoy the pounding drums and the energetic, albeit weathered vocals. "New Again" and "Sink Into Me" both feature very good instrumentation and are extremely catchy. "Swing" falls into the the latter category as well, and features some of the more heartfelt lyrics of the album ("Passion over consequence, since when did the latter take the lead?")

"Where My Mouth Is" and "Everything Must Go" are some of the most personal songs that the band has ever produced, with the former being sad and apologetic and the latter being angry and punishing in both vocals and musicianship. Fazzi and Reyes's guitar work is great, always setting the mood for the song perfectly. But it is really Rubano who shines the most on the album, especially on highlight "Carpathia."

Then again, New Again isn't a masterpiece by any means. The production, in my opinion, is just awful, especially in comparison to Louder Now's. Literally every song on the album just sounds fuzzy, and it only takes away the energy that tracks like "Lonely, Lonely" could have had. Also, songs like "Capital ME" and "Catholic Knees" are rather forgettable, and "Cut Me Up Jenny" is easily the worst song the band has ever made. This is mostly due to Lazzara's strained vocals and cheesy or plain bad lyricism ("Cut me up jenny, cut me up gently!!") that really take away from the actually dancy music. But, while the album does house the band's worst songs, it's important to remember that the final two tracks on the album are definitely some of their best.

So, as we await the bands self titled return and lay to rest New Again's album cycle, I thought it was important to finally think about my exact opinion on the album. And I've come up with this: New Again is simply the worst album by a great band. The least special, but that does not mean it isn't special at all.

With all of this being said, I expect to be amazed by the band come June 28th.

Recommended If You LikeTaking Back Sunday, summer, feeling new again just one album too early.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29.
03:14 PM on 06/19/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I felt a sense of loathing only after reading the verbs in that first sentence.
03:21 PM on 06/19/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
I felt a sense of loathing only after reading the verbs in that first sentence.
oops, I don't know how I missed that haha
03:47 PM on 06/19/11
Useyourname
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
New Again would be like a 6/10 album for me.

Everything Must Go = 8.8/10
Sink Into Me = 7.9/10
Carpathia = 7.8/10
Where My Mouth Is = 7.2/10
Swing = 6.7/10
Capital M-E = 5.9/10
Lonely, Lonely = 5.7/10
Summer, Man = 5.2/10
New Again = 4.8/10
Catholic Knees = 4.6/10
Cut Me Up Jenny = 2.3/10
03:49 PM on 06/19/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
oops, I don't know how I missed that haha
All is good now :) Nice review, by the way.
03:52 PM on 06/19/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
All is good now :) Nice review, by the way.
thank you for pointing that out lol. and thanks :)
03:54 PM on 06/19/11
Cody Nelson
facebook.com/comedyfiends
User Info.
New Again would be like a 6/10 album for me.

Everything Must Go = 8.8/10
Sink Into Me = 7.9/10
Carpathia = 7.8/10
Where My Mouth Is = 7.2/10
Swing = 6.7/10
Capital M-E = 5.9/10
Lonely, Lonely = 5.7/10
Summer, Man = 5.2/10
New Again = 4.8/10
Catholic Knees = 4.6/10
Cut Me Up Jenny = 2.3/10
Did you just do a track-by-track P4k?
04:14 PM on 06/19/11
Clockwise
Running on Fruit Snacks
User Info.
Pretty much totally agree with the review, actually listening to New Again right now.
04:15 PM on 06/19/11
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
RIYL: "feeling new again just one album too early".

Sorry, one of my biggest pet peeves. This review was well thought out, but it was hard to read at some points. Also, I don't think one can "take a little retrospective".
04:30 PM on 06/19/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
fixed as well. I suck at grammar lol
04:31 PM on 06/19/11
Useyourname
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did you just do a track-by-track P4k?
Shit, I did.
04:42 PM on 06/19/11
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
I agree with everything you said (except for the best/worst tracks), i probably would like it better if another producer (Valentine ?) did it. I also think that it doesn't flow at all well.
04:49 PM on 06/19/11
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Everything Must Go is fantastic and the only redeeming factor of this album. I'd say it's easily a top 10 TBS song, probably 6th or 7th best for me.
05:02 PM on 06/19/11
YouBlindMe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I thought New Again was a very good album. I thought New Again was a great way to start the album. The beginning bass-line is cool in my opinion. It also had great clap along when they played it live on their "New Again Tour" in 2009. I wasn't a fan of Sink Into Me. I just thought it was too poppy and repeated the same lies over and over. Lonely Lonely was good. Not great but it's listenable. Summer, Man I'd up there as one of my favorite songs on the album. Same with Swing, this is an underrated song. The lyrics are some of the best on the album. Where My Mouth Is is my least favorite song on the album. I just think his vocals sound horrible in it especially live. Cut Me Up Jenny was good song but the recording of it sounds kind of crappy. Catholic Knees was just alright. Capital M-E was good. Same opinion as with lonely, lonely. I love Carpathia. This song was one of the first released from the album and I was in love ever since. Everything Must Go is the strongest song on the album. I'm glad they still play it live. The lyrics are outstanding.

Overall I would give New Again a 6.5/10

Also the ITunes bonus track. Didnt See That Coming is great. Should have been on the actual Cd
12:27 AM on 06/20/11
anamericangod
User Info.
I reviewed this album once upon a time.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music