Username
Password
Paramore News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Paramore
Inside AP.net

Tenspoke Indies Take Paramore to Court

Posted by: Matthew Tsai (06/19/11)
The lawsuit Tenspoke Indies filed in regards to their complaint that claims Paramore plagiarized their song "Starlighter" (by writing "The Only Exception") has been moved to a federal court in Nashville, TN.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 89
05:31 PM on 06/19/11
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
Doesnt the fact that its been moved to a federal court mean that theres a pretty strong case for them being right?
05:32 PM on 06/19/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
paramore is having one hell of a year
05:38 PM on 06/19/11
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
User Info.
I hope they drop it. I'm not a supporter of either band, but I don't think there are enough similarities.
05:45 PM on 06/19/11
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Paramore did that shit. Guilty.
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
The only thing this tells me is that neither side is letting this go. Pretty interesting.
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Link isnt working for me.
05:46 PM on 06/19/11
esposimi
H.E. Pennypacker
User Info.

Story is gone now though, here's what it was courtesy of Google Cache:
Quote:
Paramore lawsuit moved to Nashville District Court

A Nashville court will handle a federal lawsuit that accuses Nashville-based band Paramore of stealing portions of another band’s song and including it on “The Only Exception,” Paramore’s biggest hit to date.

Tampa-based Tenspoke Indies claims that it marketed copies of its 2005 song “Starlighter” to Paramore’s agent, Steve Robertson of Atlantic Records, and niche label Fueled by Ramen, home to Paramore. Tenspoke Indies’ members claim they were never contacted about their song, but that it was shared with the members of Paramore.

“The Only Exception” was included on Paramore’s hit 2009 album Brand New Eyes. It is the band’s highest-charting song to date. Tenspoke Indies claims the song is substantially similar to their own, “including similarities in the introductions, arrangements, the chord progression, the key, the melody, the lyrical theme, the rhythm and the tempo of both songs.”

Paramore denies the allegations, arguing that the song was written by lead singer Haley Williams and former band member Josh Farro. The case, originally filed last year in a federal court in Pennsylvania, was transferred to the U.S. District Court in Nashville this week.

— Brandon Gee

The Tennessean
05:47 PM on 06/19/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
People are always trying to keep a good band down.
05:48 PM on 06/19/11
takingbackjosh
Im not a self-help book
User Info.
Another band claiming some other band claiming they stole their song? Haven't seen that before, though the video comparing the two is interesting. Don't really care what happens though

05:48 PM on 06/19/11
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
The E minor in it might change something, but I'd expect them to settle this out of court.

It's a pretty normal practice for labels to take lesser bands' songs, buy them and have a bigger band do them (actually Hayley's chorus in "Airplanes" was a full song by another band that the label purchased and changed). Wouldn't surprise me if they took this song and thought the band would forget about it.
05:49 PM on 06/19/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
I hope they drop it. I'm not a supporter of either band, but I don't think there are enough similarities.

i'm not saying they did it but....
05:50 PM on 06/19/11
WishYouAway
User Info.
Doesnt the fact that its been moved to a federal court mean that theres a pretty strong case for them being right?
No, not really. Federal court just indicates that it's a matter that isn't centralized to one state - Paramore obviously profited from the song in multiple states.

Link does not work for me though.
05:51 PM on 06/19/11
WishYouAway
User Info.
Another band claiming some other band claiming they stole their song? Haven't seen that before, though the video comparing the two is interesting. Don't really care what happens though

That's pretty damning.
05:53 PM on 06/19/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
If Tenspoke Indies wins this case I hope Coldplay sues them.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums