AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Farewell To Freeway - Filthy Habits Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.25
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 5
Production 5
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 5.25
Final Verdict: 49%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Farewell To Freeway - Filthy Habits

Reviewed by: Richard Maxim (06/19/11)
Farewell To Freeway- Filthy Habits
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: January 18, 2011

Canadian bands usually have this stigma surrounding them, with being too little too late. Most of us down here in the States have heard everything they have to offer and aren’t amused. There are definitely exceptions, but thinking about them takes some time. Dead and Divine is always one that comes to mind; they bear some similarities to Farewell to Freeway (what that means is all up to you). Make no mistake, these guys have talent; it’s oozing out of them. There are buttery riffs, melodic breakdowns and guttural screams. Unfortunately, Filthy Habits is kind of like having your birthday fall on Dec. 26: underwhelming.

On the first stop we have "Liquor? I Don't Even Know 'Er." A grimy bass line leads into a looping riff that lays the groundwork. As singer Adam Lambert shouts, “Watch, we'll be a part of the thing we can't ignore/One shot salute/It's just the way we get it on,” the breakdown kicks in. It’s nothing fancy but definitely a fun time. Guitarists Drew Harwood and Chris Lambert really shine throughout the rest of the song. They lay down intertwining riffs as well as a fast and furious breakdown at just about the 2-minute mark. One note I will make, and this is a complete choice of preference, is that Lambert’s vocals hinder the overall feel of the song. It’s almost grating to my ears; I hate that it nearly ruins an overall fun and fast metal song.

"Afterlife Lottery" does a great job of setting itself apart from the rest of the album by being one of the weakest tracks on the album. Uninspired, lazy riffage sets the tone and it all just becomes too formulaic. "Usurper" shows Adam Lambert’s range, and it surprised me. His vocals never really leave his comfort zone throughout the record except on this one. Relentless chords and pounding drums - it’s one of the heavier tracks on the album.

Now onto "Inside Influence," one of my personal favorites on the album. Surprisingly enough, synth is nicely incorporated into this one. It’s simple enough, Lambert laying some harsh vocals over retracting heavy chords as a solo comes into play. Even at their best, Farewell to Freeway have been beaten to the punch. I have hopes for Farewell to Freeway; I want to like them. But there are so many bands out there doing this genre much better.

Recommended if you like: Every Time I Die; Dead And Divine; crunchy riffs

myspace.com/farewelltofreeway

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
04:27 AM on 06/28/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I don't know about Canadians being behind with music. Silverstein was one of the first to bring posthardcore into the public eye, Boys Night Out is unique against similar sounding bands (esp Trainwreck). Though it does apply with Abandon All Ships.
10:14 AM on 06/28/11
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
i thought this record was awesome
05:56 AM on 07/03/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I don't know about Canadians being behind with music. Silverstein was one of the first to bring posthardcore into the public eye, Boys Night Out is unique against similar sounding bands (esp Trainwreck). Though it does apply with Abandon All Ships.

This, couldn't agree more. Technically there's bad music in every country so this review would be better if he didn't make such an ignorant statement. If you wrote "I have heard everything they have to offer and I'm not amused" that's your opinion. But writing that "most" Americans feel that way? I doubt that's the case at all. Not when so many of you love the bands mentioned above plus Arcade Fire, Propagandhi, The Weakerthans, Shad, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Sum 41, Alexisonfire/City and Colour, The Flatliners, Rush, Comeback Kid, Protest the Hero, Fucked Up, Tegan and Sara, etc.

Also, "States" should be capitalized.
07:22 AM on 07/03/11
WeltallAY
User Info.
This, couldn't agree more. Technically there's bad music in every country so this review would be better if he didn't make such an ignorant statement. If you wrote "I have heard everything they have to offer and I'm not amused" that's your opinion. But writing that "most" Americans feel that way? I doubt that's the case at all. Not when so many of you love the bands mentioned above plus Arcade Fire, Propagandhi, The Weakerthans, Shad, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Sum 41, Alexisonfire/City and Colour, The Flatliners, Rush, Comeback Kid, Protest the Hero, Fucked Up, Tegan and Sara, etc.

Also, "States" should be capitalized.
Canada in general just gets a bad rep from many Americans and I just don't get it. I don't think that there's necessarily a "best country in the world" but I personally find Canada to be a better country in many ways than the US.
08:44 AM on 07/03/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Canada in general just gets a bad rep from many Americans and I just don't get it. I don't think that there's necessarily a "best country in the world" but I personally find Canada to be a better country in many ways than the US.

I don't get it either, but then again I'm Canadian, haha. Some of us can be pretty snobby too, but I do like America and I've enjoyed my time down there. I guess my view is a bit hazy because the Americans I interact with in real life are musicians touring through and they love Canada. And then my older sister actually married an American and moved to Colorado, but her husband and his family aren't overly patriotic. Luckily I haven't interacted with many of the "stereotypical" Americans I hear about, but I'm sure tons of them exist.
10:21 AM on 07/03/11
WeltallAY
User Info.
I don't get it either, but then again I'm Canadian, haha. Some of us can be pretty snobby too, but I do like America and I've enjoyed my time down there. I guess my view is a bit hazy because the Americans I interact with in real life are musicians touring through and they love Canada. And then my older sister actually married an American and moved to Colorado, but her husband and his family aren't overly patriotic. Luckily I haven't interacted with many of the "stereotypical" Americans I hear about, but I'm sure tons of them exist.
You're lucky to live in Canada. The US isn't a horrible wasteland but I'm not patriotic towards it. It's a great place where money has a lot of purchasing power and it's very laid back. But I feel the whole "cultural" melting pot has reduced much of the population to a similar culture where all of our unique ancestries are becoming more and more forgotten. I guess that's my biggest problem with the US; we're all immigrants that come from places more interesting (to me at least) and culturally rich but this heritage is becoming overwritten by a homogenous culture that values convenience over everything else.

I'm not trying to bash this country because many have worked hard for it and even given their lives. I just always take it personally when people attack Canada (Québec is one one of my heritages) when the reality is that many people have never been there.
11:24 PM on 07/04/11
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
Deborah commented on my review? YAY! I knew I would get flak for the Canadian comment. =-D

Edit: And Ignorant? a bit harsh, no?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News