Album Review

VA - Cover Your Tracks Album Cover

VA - Cover Your Tracks

Reviewed by
VA - Cover Your Tracks
Released February 27th, 2007
Deep Elm Records

What Is It?

Surprise, surprise; Deep Elm has put out yet another incredible compilation. Eleven of the label’s active bands take songs from the label’s alumni and make them their own.

How Is It?

Sometimes refreshing, sometimes expected -- always incredible. From Desert City Soundtrack’s astonishingly intense rendition of The Appleseed Cast’s “Marigold and Pathwork” to Lock and Key’s potent interpretation of Brandtson’s “Blindspot”, all twelve tracks are both a unique twist on fan favorites and a good gauge of two bands in one song for those new to Deep Elm’s legendary roster. They’re such smooth transitions between bands that these really don’t even sound like cover songs. No awkward fit, just a glorious mix of the past and the present of a highly influential record label and its artists that, sadly, do not get enough credit.

I Wanna Be a Rock ‘n Roll Teen: Free Diamonds – “Go Teens”, Desert City Soundtrack – “Marigold and Patchwork”, Claire De Lune – “Angel on Hiatus”

Ratings Disclaimer: I did not rank the vocal, musicianship, and lyrical aspect to the ranking system because it’d be nearly impossible to estimate the average between the twelve tracks.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
07:36 AM on 04/28/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I want to get this, Deep Elm is such an incredible label and I definitely look up to them
09:30 AM on 04/28/07
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
I want to get this, Deep Elm is such an incredible label and I definitely look up to them

I agree with everything you said. Deep Elm is my favorite label to deal with, even if more of my favorite bands are on other labels. They're good people.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos