Username
Password
The Wonder Years News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 167.
06:33 PM on 06/23/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
This is why a band like all time low has changed their style so much towards straight pop, they arnt doing it because they like the sound of i feel like dancin over coffee shop soundtrack. They are trying to play teh game, roll the dice and break into the mainstream and be on that FOB, yellowcard, blink rockstar level.

Not to refute your position because I agree on the point of All Time Low but Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy, and Blink didn't drastically change their style in order to be on radio. Fall Out Boy and Blink did eventually change their style later on in their careers but I truly believe their intentions were pure with those records and it was a natural growth. So do you have a theory of why bands can't make radio with songs like Coffee Shop Soundtrack? Is it because the time changed or the genre has run it's course on radio? Basically, why, now in 2011 dose All Time Low have to go full on pop when 12 years ago, Blink was having hits left and right with Pop-punk?
06:53 PM on 06/23/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I feel like The Wonder Years, Firework, Transit, The Swellers, Polar Bear Club, etc. all have the capability to be on the radio with the songs they just released. Someone just needs to give them a chance and wait for it to catch on.
07:21 PM on 06/23/11
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not to refute your position because I agree on the point of All Time Low but Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy, and Blink didn't drastically change their style in order to be on radio. Fall Out Boy and Blink did eventually change their style later on in their careers but I truly believe their intentions were pure with those records and it was a natural growth. So do you have a theory of why bands can't make radio with songs like Coffee Shop Soundtrack? Is it because the time changed or the genre has run it's course on radio? Basically, why, now in 2011 dose All Time Low have to go full on pop when 12 years ago, Blink was having hits left and right with Pop-punk?

^ No sorry i didnt mean blink, yellowcard, or FOB changed their style (although you could argue either way, i loved all those bands regardless). I meant the TWY would have to change their style to fit in with these bands, even though they are placed in the same "pop punk" genre.

Take the three songs that really launched these bands into the mainstream- Ocean Avenue, Sugar, and Whats my Age again. These songs have huge pop melodies and hooks that were played on pop radio. the same girls who bought those kelly clarkson cds were humming along to only one at the yellowcard shows. i cant listen to the upsides and seriously compare it any of these songs because honestly that album has more substances than any of them. My friends who love katy perry and love blink do not care for the wonder years.

I hate the term punk its really stupid but just to compare id argue those three songs were pop with elements of punk while the upsides would be more punk with elements of pop. The guys from blink are brilliant for writing all the small things, using it as a single, and having a video making fun of boy bands while everyone went along with it. Take away the distortion and it could have been a boy band song.

Why do you think Yellowcard, Fob, blink, the starting line, NFG, etc all changed their styles after all that success? I assume its because they got tired of making pop albums meant for the mainstream and wanted to make music with more substance that they really wanted to make. But thats just my 2 cents i loved all these bands.
08:18 PM on 06/23/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
^ No sorry i didnt mean blink, yellowcard, or FOB changed their style (although you could argue either way, i loved all those bands regardless). I meant the TWY would have to change their style to fit in with these bands, even though they are placed in the same "pop punk" genre.

Take the three songs that really launched these bands into the mainstream- Ocean Avenue, Sugar, and Whats my Age again. These songs have huge pop melodies and hooks that were played on pop radio. the same girls who bought those kelly clarkson cds were humming along to only one at the yellowcard shows. i cant listen to the upsides and seriously compare it any of these songs because honestly that album has more substances than any of them. My friends who love katy perry and love blink do not care for the wonder years.

I hate the term punk its really stupid but just to compare id argue those three songs were pop with elements of punk while the upsides would be more punk with elements of pop. The guys from blink are brilliant for writing all the small things, using it as a single, and having a video making fun of boy bands while everyone went along with it. Take away the distortion and it could have been a boy band song.

Why do you think Yellowcard, Fob, blink, the starting line, NFG, etc all changed their styles after all that success? I assume its because they got tired of making pop albums meant for the mainstream and wanted to make music with more substance that they really wanted to make. But thats just my 2 cents i loved all these bands.
As much as I love the less substance bands, I definitely have to agree 100% on this.
10:09 PM on 06/23/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
At a station there is usually what's called a "Music Director". They're responsible of listening to all of the new releases sent in by the labels. During the listening session there is usually DJ's and program directors there to have a committee. They will judge the song on hit potential. Keep in mind, there are only 20-30 songs sent in weekly and only about 5-8 make it past that committee. After that, the station will put the song on radio for a week or so and see how receptive the audience of that particular song is. They do this mostly by single sales on itunes or call-in request (though I know for a fact, most stations don't play the song as soon as it's requested and usually have a set number of times said song needs to be requested to be played) or call-out tracking, which I'm sure you've heard, where stations will play the hook of a song and get the audience to call in giving their brief opinion of the song. At this point they're also paying attention to a good balance of playing the song (weather it should be played once every hour or once every two hours and so on). That's pretty much how it's done. Some smaller stations vary but this was at Kiss FM here in Austin so I imagine that how all Kiss FM stations around the states and other big stations operate.
Thanks for the insight, I've always been curious. That seems like a pretty fair process but I guess the majority of people's tastes suck. Also, I guess a lot of the fans of good music don't bother to call in often to request songs (plus there are less of them in general).
10:16 PM on 06/23/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.

And that's my exact problem with All Time Low. I talk a lot of shit about them, but only because I know they can be a so much better band than they are. I listened to an older ATL song on the way home tonight and it wasn't fucking terrible. I wasn't a big fan of the later FOB and blink records, but they didn't change their sound to straight pop. If anything, they moved their sound further away from straight pop. If All Time Low was being honest with their music, I wouldn't care how many 14 year old girls comprised their fanbase. ATL should be using their popularity and clout to bring real pop punk to the masses, instead of dumbing down their sound for the masses.
10:19 PM on 06/23/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.
My friends who love katy perry and love blink do not care for the wonder years.

I'm sorry but there is something wrong with your friends. the newer stuff by the wonder years is as catchy as blink.
01:00 AM on 06/24/11
xent
this is what separates me from you!
User Info.
congratulations to them
01:00 AM on 06/24/11
xent
this is what separates me from you!
User Info.
congratulations to them
05:19 AM on 06/24/11
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
Great song, but I honestly dont think it would have launched a radio hit simply because TWY write songs with substance that emphasize emotion over straight up pop hooks/melodies. Sugar and Ocean Ave were played on a ton of different radio stations back in the day, theyd be played in between kelly clarkson and gwen staffani and those listens were introduced to these bands. I dont really see TWY being played on much besides alternative type stations.

This is why a band like all time low has changed their style so much towards straight pop, they arnt doing it because they like the sound of i feel like dancin over coffee shop soundtrack. They are trying to play teh game, roll the dice and break into the mainstream and be on that FOB, yellowcard, blink rockstar level.

I dont see TWY or fireworks breaking into the mainstream even though i wish they would. Im not sure how old you are but a lot of people who didnt really grow up through this have some fantasy view of how things were. Midtown is worshiped here but if half the kids went out to the shows then instead of begging for a reunion show now maybe they would still be a band. Living Well is the Best revenge came out about 10 years ago...it sold no where near a million sooo in my opinion neither would the upsides.

I'm 25. I saw midtown a few times. There's no need to put bands like that in a jesus like caricature. I love TWY and there is so much substance there that success should come hand in hand. But unfortunately...if Soupy can't write a chorus akin to "this place is about to blowwwwww. Blow oh oh" then tthe wonder years will have to remain at the top of the pop punk community and not into the mainstream.
06:26 AM on 06/24/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
And that's my exact problem with All Time Low. I talk a lot of shit about them, but only because I know they can be a so much better band than they are. I listened to an older ATL song on the way home tonight and it wasn't fucking terrible. I wasn't a big fan of the later FOB and blink records, but they didn't change their sound to straight pop. If anything, they moved their sound further away from straight pop. If All Time Low was being honest with their music, I wouldn't care how many 14 year old girls comprised their fanbase. ATL should be using their popularity and clout to bring real pop punk to the masses, instead of dumbing down their sound for the masses.
Exactly! ATL had a great thing going. I don't see the maturity in them or their music at all. Great guys, still some of the nicest guys in music without a doubt. I realize that in order to make radio you do have to take a sort of different direction (usually poppier) but god damn, their latest effort is All Star Weekend with some "fuck" and "shit" thrown in.
11:29 AM on 06/24/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.
Exactly! ATL had a great thing going. I don't see the maturity in them or their music at all. Great guys, still some of the nicest guys in music without a doubt. I realize that in order to make radio you do have to take a sort of different direction (usually poppier) but god damn, their latest effort is All Star Weekend with some "fuck" and "shit" thrown in.
Seriously, that is literally the only difference now. Its a self-perpetuating cycle: the public's collective tastes start to decline, and bands' lower their standards in order to remain relevant, encouraging the further decay of the public's tastes. Somebody needs to break this cycle.
01:11 PM on 06/24/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
Seriously, that is literally the only difference now. Its a self-perpetuating cycle: the public's collective tastes start to decline, and bands' lower their standards in order to remain relevant, encouraging the further decay of the public's tastes. Somebody needs to break this cycle.
Yeah it seriously needs to be broken soon. I like to think of the 90's as the golden age of radio. You could get Nirvana and the Spice Girls all on the same station within an hour. Sure, it was the golden age of 1 hit wonders too. I can't remember exactly what the period is called, but there was a period in the 1990s where labels were signing artist and bands to a one song deal, the song was usually a hit because the labels directed it that way, and the labels profited more than the artist. That's where those one hit wonders came from in that decade and we're now feeling the repercussions of what the labels did then.
05:02 PM on 06/24/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.
Yeah it seriously needs to be broken soon. I like to think of the 90's as the golden age of radio. You could get Nirvana and the Spice Girls all on the same station within an hour. Sure, it was the golden age of 1 hit wonders too. I can't remember exactly what the period is called, but there was a period in the 1990s where labels were signing artist and bands to a one song deal, the song was usually a hit because the labels directed it that way, and the labels profited more than the artist. That's where those one hit wonders came from in that decade and we're now feeling the repercussions of what the labels did then.
God the 90s were great...
08:24 PM on 06/24/11
Stroke
User Info.
So proud I helped them get that spot! I really wish they could sell more of Suburbia, it's so good.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums