AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Automatic Loveletter - The Kids Will... Album Cover

The Automatic Loveletter - The Kids Will...

Reviewed by
Automatic Loveletter - The Kids Will Take Their Monsters On
Record Label: Paper & Plastick
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Automatic Loveletter have been battling their way through the mainstream of rock music since 2007 when they released their debut EP Recover to both fan and critical acclaim. However, due to multiple label issues, a full-length album that was supposed to follow never materialized. Fans eventually got their hands on Truth Or Dare, an album which was not necessarily everything they would have wanted from the band.

The Kids Will Take Their Monsters On is exactly the album many people had wanted: a tender, largely acoustic rendition of some new songs with impressive lyrics and quality vocal delivery from Juliet Simms. Opener "Never Take It Off" serves as a brief introduction to the album; it's a slow track featuring sparse instrumental and a slightly sluggish, yet intriguing, melody from Simms as she brings you further into the album and eventually draws you into the second song on the album, "Save Me." This is one of the highlights of the album; it is easily the most accessible song on the album and practically screams "single" at you from the moment it begins to the moment it ends. The track simultaneously holds your attention from the opening chord to the last word out of Simms' mouth.

Things then move onto "Black Ink Revenge," which is another fine moment for the album, although it does not feature the urgency of "Save Me" or the slow acoustic meanderings of "Never Take It Off." We then move on to "Click Your Heels," which does feel like a throwaway track in comparison to other songs, as it's 5-minute-plus length begins to drag towards the second half of the track. You can hope to be drawn back into the mix by "Carry The Fire," a simple track with a radio-friendly layout that borrows a chime-like sound from many similar bands in the genre, something which works effectively here.

The album continues its steady journey towards the last few tracks with "Trade Places," a song with a simple backing of organ and beautifully picked guitar, another highlight with lyrics such as "I wanna trade places with the people you trusted, for deepest embraces. The key to your soul and it's intimate places." We then pass through "Cruel Cruel" and "Pillows," two songs that would be seen as good if they had not been placed in between two of the strongest tracks, the final being "The Curtain Close."

"The Curtain Close" is possibly one of the most haunting and incredibly enchanting songs that Automatic Loveletter have produced, with it's instantly anthemic chorus and gentle delivery by Simms enticing you; it deserves your full attention and enjoyment. On a personal level, it does feel like they're playing right in front of you. The lyrics are also some of Simms' strongest "The kids will take their monsters on, with all swords drawn we'll show them all."

Automatic Loveletter have produced one of the strongest albums of 2011. Although it is wholly acoustic, there is no time when you are completely disengaged or wondering why a song was put on the album. Regardless, if you enjoyed Truth Or Dare, Recover or their self-titled EP, you will enjoy this album if you are a fan of Automatic Loveletter and their unique brand of tender songs. They really do get to the core of your being and make you feel something you've probably not got from a song before.

Recommended if you like: Paramore; Flyleaf; Taylor Swift; acoustic tracks

myspace.com/automaticloveletter
This review is a user submitted review from pursuingdesign. You can see all of pursuingdesign's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
12:34 PM on 06/28/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Listened to this album on my way to work this morning and it's great. Good review.
04:39 PM on 06/28/11
xsweetness523x
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i totally agree concerning The Curtain Close. However, i love Click Your Heels. The sound of their voices together makes me ears orgasm, and I like the range between the quiet vulnerable parts and the loud strong chorus.
09:17 PM on 06/28/11
yoelissima
Unemployed :S
User Info.
The Curtain Close, Trade Places, Save me, Click your heels are my favorites... but The whole album is just perfection xD
10:19 AM on 07/02/11
TZE
User Info.
this album is absolutely amazing. i'm in love with every single track. seems like juliet toned down her 'truth or dare' vocal style on this record and took it easy i really appreciate that. excellent review too. i see myself listening to the album for years
08:03 PM on 07/02/11
autolovelisa
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is the best album I've heard in years!!! Juliet's voice is so unique! She is pure genius!! I've been listening to it on repeat! Seeing her TOMORROW at warped tour and I'm so excited!! Woohoooo! Can't wait to hear these amazing songs performed live!
11:19 AM on 07/03/11
MusicLvrK13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Truth or Dare was an amazing album that showed Juliet's rocker side, but with The Kids Will Take Their Monsters On, Juliet goes back to her roots as an acoustic musician and showed us her heart and soul. I am in love with the feeling and lyrics behind each song. Everything about this album is so vibrant and bone chilling good. <333
01:26 AM on 07/05/11
t0m0k4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like Juliet's band style, but this album is AWESOME! Her acoustic performance is touching. I can't wait to get a copy.
02:56 PM on 07/07/11
isataubenfeld
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is simply AMAZING. There are no words to explain what I feel wthis each song...
Great review.
01:12 PM on 08/04/11
forevertakeback
theforevertakeback
User Info.
whats crazy is that I loved the ep's by this band and then hateddddddd the first full length... I went against my best judgement and got this album. Well let me tell you this album is one of the most amazing emotional journeys of this year for me ( behind The Dangerous Summer) which blows my mind. I dont understand it really but i dont care... I love every note and every emotional sentence delivered to my ears. Kudos
06:47 AM on 12/19/11
madisontuckie34
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't understand why the "recommended if you like" portion for female fronted bands are always other female fronted bands or female musicians. The matter of the fact us, Automatic Loveletter sounds NOTHING like Paramore, Flyleaf or Taylor Swift. This review does a good job of focusing on the musicianship rather than the image of the band, but saying ALL sounds simmilar Paramore is just not true. This album is more for you if you like Secondhand Serenade, Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab, The Spill Canvas and if you want to compare it to another female vocalist, Lights' Acoustic EP is more accurate.
But the body of the review is great and I agree with most of it:)
06:58 PM on 04/24/12
JuneDivided
June Divided
User Info.
I don't understand why the "recommended if you like" portion for female fronted bands are always other female fronted bands or female musicians. The matter of the fact us, Automatic Loveletter sounds NOTHING like Paramore, Flyleaf or Taylor Swift. This review does a good job of focusing on the musicianship rather than the image of the band, but saying ALL sounds simmilar Paramore is just not true. This album is more for you if you like Secondhand Serenade, Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab, The Spill Canvas and if you want to compare it to another female vocalist, Lights' Acoustic EP is more accurate.
But the body of the review is great and I agree with most of it:)
@madisontuckie34- you are spot on. if more people out there had the same mind-set, my life would be a lot easier. My band was compared to Automatic Loveletter in Alt Press a few months back and we sound NOTHING alike. The comparison was solely based on the whole female thing. Thank you so much, for bringing this up. I feel like I'm not the only person on the planet pointing that kind of thing out anymore, and the more we speak up, the sooner this issue will fade. Much love :) -Melissa (June Divided)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos