AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (06/27/11)

Posted by - 08:52 AM on 06/27/11
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
08:53 AM on 06/27/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together:

Technology Round-UpPoll

Rumor has it that Facebook has 750 million active users (people who log on at least once per month). Other news indicates that more Facebook users are abandoning the service. How often do you use your Facebook account? [Poll]

Apple

iCloud will include web apps for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone, but it will not include iWeb or iDisk. Ars Technica has discovered that, should your 5GB of cloud space be taken up by music and other storage, Apple stops routing e-mail until iCloud has free space.

Apple has been granted a multitouch patent that it filed four years ago. This patent may cause serious issues for HTC and other phone manufacturers.

Apple has filed for a new patent that would allow third parties to restrict when devices can record video.

Will the iPhone 5 have a radical new design or closely resemble the iPhone 4? In either case, the device is rumored to have a September release date and might have a dual-LED flash.

AT&T leaked documents indicate that the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 will be LTE-ready.

Rumor has it that the iPhone 6 (to be released in 2012) will be powered by an A6 processor not manufactured by Samsung.

When AT&T stores run out of unlocked iPhone 4s, they can enter a special code to unlock regular iPhone 4s, demonstrating that there is no hardware difference between the two devices. Speaking of unlocked iPhones, T-Mobile estimates that one million unlocked iPhones are running on the T-Mobile network.

iOS5 beta 2 enables Wi-Fi syncing, over-the-air 3G updates, has new notification displays on the lock screen, and has a wireless recovery mode that may open the door to wireless jailbreaking. Speaking of iOS5, the latest version of Redsn0w can jailbreak the beta 2 release as can Snowbreeze 2.8b3. Despite the quick release of jailbreaking solutions for iOS 5, Apple is combating jailbreaking by disabling the use of SHSH blobs to downgrade firmware.

The U.S. Government will most likely not grant Apple a patent for "App Store."

As mild confirmation of an upcoming Macbook Air refresh, Best Buy has temporarily halted sales of the device on its website.

Apple may start manufacturing TVs.

Apple makes more profit from selling a single Mac than HP does from selling seven PCs. And people say Macs are overpriced...

Final Cut Pro X is the lowest-rated Apple software on the Apple Store. Even Conan O'Brien has poked fun at the application. Apple's product managers have responded to the criticism.

Apple has released OS X 10.6.8 which squashes 36 bugs.

Apple is releasing 2TB and 3TB Time Machine capsules; however, the drives feature a consumer-grade hard drive, not a server-grade drive as initially promoted.

Internet

LulzSec, the hacking group behind many of the high-profile hacks lately, has finished their assault on the internet. One of the hackers associated with the group has been caught, and he may make attempt to use Asperger's disease as his defense.

Electronic Arts is the latest company to fall victim to hackers stealing people's personal information. Ninety percent of companies admit to being hacked within the past twelve months.

Dropbox had a website glitch during which accounts were accessible using any password for four hours.

A Gucci network administrator has been accused of causing the company $200,000 worth of damages on his way out the door.

Major ISPs in the United States may begin a huge crackdown on piracy.

Two of Australia's biggest ISPs have started filtering their internet content.

Following AT&T's announcement of broadband data caps (150GB for DSL customers and 250GB for U-Verse customers), Netflix has launched an HD toggle option to control the amount of bandwidth consumed.

The former British Prime Minister Tony Blair's address book was hacked and released to the public.

An investment group will purchase GoDaddy for between $2 billion and $2.5 billion.

During a hostage standoff, the armed perpetrator posted a Facebook update that he ran out of beer.

The Winklevoss twins have filed another lawsuit against Facebook.

Weird Al Yankovic credits his Twitter followers for helping his album be released on time after they quieted Lady Gaga's representation who was opposed to his parody of "Born This Way."

Best Buy has launched its own music cloud service.

Microsoft has updated its SkyDrive service which now no longer requires Silverlight to run.

A new service called MightyText notifies users of text messages on computers and allows people to respond.

Amazon has added new free videos for Prime members.

D-Link has a slew of new networking products to network your domicile no matter how big.

Google

An overweight woman is suing Google for allegedly discriminating against overweight job applicants.

The FTC has launched an antitrust probe over Google.

Google's auto-piloted cars have been legalized in Nevada.

Google's Health and Powermeter sites are being shut down.

Chrome will feature video chat to compete with Skype, and the latest build of Chrome 14 adds insecure script blocking.

Electronics

A would-be-terrorist was caught because he posted his bomb thread using an identifiable Playstation 3.

Sony's USA CEO claims that we "[shouldn't] look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time."

President Obama has announced a $70 million initiative to further robotics research and development.

Students in the UK created a car that gets the equivalent of 1,980 mpg.

Volkswagen is developing temporary auto-pilot which will allow stabilize the wheel and drivers to take both hands off the wheel briefly while traveling at speeds up to 80mph.

Tesla will stop manufacturing new Roadsters at the end of this year to focus on the Model S.

Ford SYNC Applink will be featured in ten new models.

China is banning electric bikes because they cause too many accidents.

A new light field camera can adjust the focus of pictures after they're taken.

TiVo is planning to release a 2TB DVR with four tuners.

As a follow-up to last week's Tips/Tricks reminder about turning off your DVR at night when you're not using it, a New York Times author has published a piece about how DVRs and Cable Boxes are some of the biggest electricity users in typical households.

Archos has launched a new line of home phones with Android built-in.

Voltaic has released an iPad solar charger that gets one hour of use for one hour of charging.

Check out a review of the Cowan C2 portable media player.

Mobile

A seized cell phone may indicate that Pakistani intelligence was protecting Osama Bin Laden.

Playing around with caller ID spoofing isn't so fun if you get fined $10,000 for doing so.

Check out the first Windows Phone 7 Nokia device, the Nokia N9, in action.

See the details about Verizon's upcoming capped data plans. Verizon customers with unlimited data will apparently be grandfathered even after the capped data plans are released.

AT&T has a new $50/mo. GoPhone plan that offers unlimited calls, texts, and internet. Don't think about sneaking an iPhone on the plan though, as AT&T is pretty crafty at detecting devices with unsupported IMEI numbers.

Verizon will expand its 4G LTE coverage on July 21.

Android phones are more prone to hardware problems than competitors' phones.

The Droid 3 may arrive on July 14 at Best Buy.

Engadget has had a chance to play around with a prototype Blackberry Bold 9900.

Check out a short review of the HTC Sensation 4G.

Sprint's proposed third-quarter phone release roadmap has leaked.

The EVO 3D and EVO View 4G are now available.

The HTC Evo 4G+ has been confirmed.

In order to release Gingerbread for the HTC Desire, Sense UI will be removed from the ROM.

The Atrix 4G bootloader has been unlocked.

The Palm Pre 2 is officially getting WebOS 2.1.

Apps

Check out Gizmodo's list of this week's best: Android apps, iPad apps, iPhone apps, and the best apps in general.

Skype has confirmed that an iPad app with video support is on the way.

The Hulu Plus app for Android has launched.

Facebook 1.6 for Android adds video upload support and improved Pages support.

TapNav for iPhone is an augmented reality navigation app that should help drivers figure out where exactly to turn.

Visidon Applock uses facial recognition to unlock Android phones.

Zinio reader is now better optimized for Tegra 2 hardware.

Computer/Tablet

An HP laptop absorbed gunfire and saved a U.S. soldier's life. And you thought your computer was a life saver! (Sorry -- I couldn't help myself)

Archos has new Android 3.1 tablets on the horizon.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 now syncs with Macs.

Blackberry Tablet OS 1.0.6 updates Flash to 10.3 and adds Adobe AIR 2.7 support.

Amazon may start building its own tablets.

The Opera founder has resigned citing differences of opinion between the board and himself.

After a mere three months since its release, Firefox 4 is no longer supported. Mozilla has announced that Firefox 5 is the latest security update to Firefox 4.

Linus Torvalds has declared that Linux kernel 3.0 will be "noticeably faster" than 2.6.39. Speaking of Linux, Ubuntu 11.10 will not include the Synaptic package manager by default.

PCI Express may reach 32gbps speeds by 2013.

uTorrent 3.0 has been released.

Tips/Tricks

Find out if your password may have been compromised with Should I Change My Password?

Try a Windows 8-inspired interface on Windows 7 with Zetro.

Create custom multitouch gestures on OS X with MagicPrefs.

Stop dropping calls on your iPhone 4 with DropCall Eliminator (jailbreak only).

Install iOS 5 beta 2 on your iPhone without having a developer account.

Get a free @me.com e-mail address using iOS 5.

InterNETmittence can save battery life on Android devices by disabling internet at timed intervals.

Learn how to access the NY Times for free on the iPad.

Install Prey on your PC to recover it if it's lost or stolen.

Backup and restore your WiFi settings with Wi-Fi Network Backup Manager.

Memory Restart will remind Firefox users when they should restart the browser to free up RAM.

Avoid using a debit card to rent hotel rooms or rental cars.

Get a legitimate, free credit score report with Quizzle from the makers of Quicken.

Write off that gaming mouse as a business expense, as LifeHacker recommends using one to be more productive at work.

If your friends are dragging you to a 3D movie and 3D movies make you feel nauseous, take a pair of 2D glasses.

Miscellaneous

A new brain implant may eventually allow paralyzed people to walk again.

Scientists have discovered that saliva can be used to accurately estimate a person's age to within 5 years.

One gamer is shipping himself 2,000 miles in a wooden crate while playing the Lords of the Rings MMORPG.

Video games may cause less crime.

Harry Potter e-books are on the way.

--
Contributor: CyberInferno (Chad)
10:23 AM on 06/27/11
Kiguel182
life is a test and I get bad marks
User Info.
Is true that apple makes lot of profit from their products but so does Nintendo and nobody calls them overpriced. They are a business and have a good business model.
10:38 AM on 06/27/11
Macbeth.
User Info.
It was interesting to read that Times article on FCP X. Conan's segment was shit, though - absolutely no reason for it because it wasn't funny or even a good criticism or point
10:48 AM on 06/27/11
billy_yo
Registered Member
User Info.
Is anyone going to try that ios5 beta thing? I'm curious about it but I dont want to like void warranty or anything. Anyone got any insight into trying this?
10:53 AM on 06/27/11
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Is true that apple makes lot of profit from their products but so does Nintendo and nobody calls them overpriced. They are a business and have a good business model.
Nintendo doesn't release overpriced hardware (at least not to the degree Apple does)
11:32 AM on 06/27/11
Kiguel182
User Info.
Nintendo doesn't release overpriced hardware (at least not to the degree Apple does)
but makes a lot of profit, that's my point. Making profit is different from overpriced
11:41 AM on 06/27/11
albertad
User Info.
Is anyone going to try that ios5 beta thing? I'm curious about it but I dont want to like void warranty or anything. Anyone got any insight into trying this?

From what I understand you would have to be a developer to get any type of beta program from Apple. In this case, you must be a part of the developer program to be free of liability in the event you brick your device.

Or

You could take a leap of faith and find the iOS beta 2 online and force install it which would void your warrantee if you bricked your device. Either way, it's up to you. Good luck!
11:55 AM on 06/27/11
billy_yo
Registered Member
User Info.
From what I understand you would have to be a developer to get any type of beta program from Apple. In this case, you must be a part of the developer program to be free of liability in the event you brick your device.

Or

You could take a leap of faith and find the iOS beta 2 online and force install it which would void your warrantee if you bricked your device. Either way, it's up to you. Good luck!

Hmm...I think I just might wait till the fall and update the iOS when it's fully released
12:34 PM on 06/27/11
albertad
User Info.
Hmm...I think I just might wait till the fall and update the iOS when it's fully released

Smart idea.
01:29 PM on 06/27/11
xcloud66x
ScaryKidScaringKids
User Info.
but makes a lot of profit, that's my point. Making profit is different from overpriced
still overpriced. they just have their following who'll pay them extra profits regardless
01:40 PM on 06/27/11
Kiguel182
User Info.
still overpriced. they just have their following who'll pay them extra profits regardless
I have a mac and I'm not a mac follower. The truth is that apple is attacked for doing lots of things that other companies also do and people make seem that apple is the only one doing it. Apple have less models in the market than HP, they also make their own OS, as well as lots of utilities and apps so their systems will always be more expensive.
And the fact that they make more money per pc than HP doesn't mean that they are overpriced, you don't know all the reasons this happens neither how this values stack compared to other companies.
Just usual Apple bashing without knowing all the information.
02:15 PM on 06/27/11
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Firefox 5 is seriously bringing me back to the days when I had to deal with Firefox 3 unstableness. 5 minutes to open up, constantly crashing and slow refresh rates. Firefox 4 beta was such a blessing and now I'm back to reconsidering a new browser again.
Strange. I haven't noticed any difference in FF5 from FF4 except that, if I'm closing tabs with my mouse, the tabs don't resize until I take my mouse off them (copying Chrome yet again). Stability for both has been excellent for me.
Very true. With Nintendo, even though they made more profit selling the Wii at $250 than Microsoft did selling the Xbox 360 at $299 and Sony did selling the PS3 at $399, people didn't think it was overpriced because it was competitive with what the rest of the competition was offering. Nintendo's execution of Wii marketing and design was absolutely brilliant.
I have a mac and I'm not a mac follower. The truth is that apple is attacked for doing lots of things that other companies also do and people make seem that apple is the only one doing it. Apple have less models in the market than HP, they also make their own OS, as well as lots of utilities and apps so their systems will always be more expensive.
And the fact that they make more money per pc than HP doesn't mean that they are overpriced, you don't know all the reasons this happens neither how this values stack compared to other companies.
Just usual Apple bashing without knowing all the information.
I like when my little jabs/jokes in the round-up spur discussion and debate

Apple is actually now more at risk of being called overpriced since its hardware is almost identical to what is in PCs. When they used Motorola processors and it was difficult to directly compare hardware performance, Apple had a better argument that their stuff was not overpriced. IMHO, Apple's computers are more expensive than most PC manufacturers, but that additional money earns better quality control, customer service, etc. I was able to take my Dad's iMac back to Apple after it was past the return period, and they let me exchange it for the refreshed model no questions asked. When I forgot to bring back the keyboard, they told me not to worry about it, and so I ended up getting a free extra wireless keyboard.

Don't get me wrong--I'll probably continue to build my own PCs until I die or building no longer an option. I've built every computer I've owned since I was 12, and they've all run Windows operating systems aside from my occasionally trying out Linux or OS X on them. But both of my parents use Macs, and I've got my grandmother using my old computer that's running Linux (she would have Mac if she used a computer enough to warrant spending money on something new).
02:17 PM on 06/27/11
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.

Or

can't really force it onto your device. There was an activation bypass but it wouldn't let you use your phone.
You can be added to a developer account (not necessary to be an actual developer) if you know someone with an account that would add you. (friend, someone on the internet)
You can still use SHSH to go back to 4.xx so long as you have the SHSH for that firmware. Of course if you decided to do this then save your shsh for 4.3.3 (heck, always good to do that anyway)
It's very hard to brick an iphone. very hard.
02:29 PM on 06/27/11
Kiguel182
User Info.
Strange. I haven't noticed any difference in FF5 from FF4 except that, if I'm closing tabs with my mouse, the tabs don't resize until I take my mouse off them (copying Chrome yet again). Stability for both has been excellent for me.

Very true. With Nintendo, even though they made more profit selling the Wii at $250 than Microsoft did selling the Xbox 360 at $299 and Sony did selling the PS3 at $399, people didn't think it was overpriced because it was competitive with what the rest of the competition was offering. Nintendo's execution of Wii marketing and design was absolutely brilliant.

I like when my little jabs/jokes in the round-up spur discussion and debate

Apple is actually now more at risk of being called overpriced since its hardware is almost identical to what is in PCs. When they used Motorola processors and it was difficult to directly compare hardware performance, Apple had a better argument that their stuff was not overpriced. IMHO, Apple's computers are more expensive than most PC manufacturers, but that additional money earns better quality control, customer service, etc. I was able to take my Dad's iMac back to Apple after it was past the return period, and they let me exchange it for the refreshed model no questions asked. When I forgot to bring back the keyboard, they told me not to worry about it, and so I ended up getting a free extra wireless keyboard.

Don't get me wrong--I'll probably continue to build my own PCs until I die or building no longer an option. I've built every computer I've owned since I was 12, and they've all run Windows operating systems aside from my occasionally trying out Linux or OS X on them. But both of my parents use Macs, and I've got my grandmother using my old computer that's running Linux (she would have Mac if she used a computer enough to warrant spending money on something new).
Hardware wise yes, they are overpriced but when you are buying a mac you are not only buying the hardware and that's the part that lots of pc enthusiasts don't get and why they always accuse macs from being inferior when they aren't.

Another thing, sometimes when comparing pc prices people tend to forget that Macs have generally a better screen, keyboard and touchpad that most (if not all) pcs with similar internal specs. That's also part of why they are more expensive.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos