Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 326.
05:33 AM on 06/28/11
emerson1892
COWABUNGA
User Info.
2nd half of the album was stronger to me, but overall it really didnt grab me very much.
Agreed, I feel like starting at This is All Now-Call me in the Morning is great. Not to say I don't like the rest of the album but I played out El Paso, Best Places & Faith so much that I don't care to listen to them anymore.
05:39 AM on 06/28/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
I don't think there's a bad song on the album. That being said, "Sad Savior" should not have been placed so early in the album as it does slow down the momentum that the first three tracks worked so hard to make.

Great review, I never thought I'd see a positive TBS one on this site ever again lol
05:47 AM on 06/28/11
A Pilgrim
Destroy what you create.
User Info.
I'm pissed that Drew didn't went with my 152% score idea. SCORE IS TOO LOW,haha.

Seriously though, I think this review does a pretty good job on understanding what this record actually is all about. This is one of the most anticipated records of all time for a lot of people, myself included. Expectations were insanely high. That people still can get to hear a solid record out of this is the best case scenario the band or their fans could hope for.

While I understand the points Drew makes abou the middle of the record, I couldn't disagree more with him at this part. See, the song that was hardest for me to get into was "Faith (When I Let You Down)". People seem to fall in love immediately with that song, that didn't happen with me. I listened to the full record after listening 4 of the 11 songs on the album, and the single one song I couldn't get myself into was the single and what looks like a new fan favorite.

After actually listening to the record, I'm blown away. Ever since WYWTB, there was a track that I filled like filler: New American Classic, Up Against, the whole New Again. This time I don't feel like skipping one single song. I strongly feel this record doesn't have one single filler song on it, and that's something I can just say about TAYF and this one when it comes to TBS. I fuckin' love Sad Savior, Who Are You Anyway and Money, and even Faith - my least favorite song on the record - works really damn fine in the context of the record.

I'm in love with this. I never expected another TAYF, I just expected them to make a record that could become as much as a classic that record is to me. And that's what they've delivered. It's been a good while since I was this excited by a TBS record. It was a good while since I was this excited by the prospect of these gentlemen making music. There's just something right in the world when Adam's and John's voices are shouting against each other. There's just something right about these five gentlemen making music together. This is Taking Back Sunday. It's really awesome to have them back.
05:48 AM on 06/28/11
E=MCHAMMER
bottled
User Info.
Yeah, it's not 81%, I'd say 60%
05:58 AM on 06/28/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Album is not very good in my opinion. First half is awful.
I think that's the most accurate description. Just plain awful!
05:59 AM on 06/28/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
This album would have been good to follow up WYWTB.
06:01 AM on 06/28/11
A Pilgrim
Destroy what you create.
User Info.
I don't think there's a bad song on the album. That being said, "Sad Savior" should not have been placed so early in the album as it does slow down the momentum that the first three tracks worked so hard to make.

Great review,I never thought I'd see a positive TBS one on this site ever again lol

That's another thing that makes me smile. Not only the fact I love the record, but it seems like some sort of prodigal son return from TBS. If only they'd accept to make a thread chat here. That would be cool.
06:04 AM on 06/28/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I think that's the most accurate description. Just plain awful!
btw love the avatar, I've been spinning Sounds of Silence myself a lot recently.
06:05 AM on 06/28/11
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
I totally didn't know this was coming out, haha.
06:15 AM on 06/28/11
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Then, what we thought was impossible happened.
Bravado=Vibrato.
06:17 AM on 06/28/11
mark29
User Info.
LOVE this album, I think that although I'm a huge tbs fan I went into this without knowing it was coming so I had lower expectations, after the first listen it felt forgettable but now I just can't put it down.
06:17 AM on 06/28/11
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
I think a lot of users are reacting like that. I know it's the same for me. The first 3 tracks are passable/enjoyable, 4-6 are bad, and then the final 5 songs really make the album for me and leads me to believe that they are on the verge of creating a really special record next time. I mean, they haven't been an unit for nearly 10 years, so you could argue that they are a "new" band, one that just wrote a record in about year and change.

I dont understand your point, a newly formed band can't create an amazing album?
06:23 AM on 06/28/11
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.

Ever since WYWTB, there was a track that I filled like filler: New American Classic, Up Against, the whole New Again. This time I don't feel like skipping one single song. I strongly feel this record doesn't have one single filler song on it, and that's something I can just say about TAYF and this one when it comes to TBS. I fuckin' love Sad Savior, Who Are You Anyway and Money, and even Faith - my least favorite song on the record - works really damn fine in the context of the record.

I know music is subjective and all, but are you really calling "New American Classic" filler right now? That song is the perfect interlude to what I would dare call the most consistent and possibly best Taking Back Sunday album. Now, "Up Against" I completely agree with being filler, as I consider that their worst recorded song. I'm very, very torn. So many people are praising the second half of this record and that's where it really falls flat for me. In my opinion, "You Got Me" "Since You're Gone" and "Doesn't Feel a Thing Like Falling" are all bland and boring and if John Nolan wasn't involved, wouldn't be far from home on New Again. Adam's voice does sound better than ever, there's nothing inherently wrong with the sound of the album, it just doesn't hit the way I was hoping for it to. There just isn't enough Nolan coming out for me.

I don't know. I sincerely hope it grows on me, considering it was my most anticipated album of the decade.
06:24 AM on 06/28/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I dont understand your point, a newly formed band can't create an amazing album?
they can, but it's rare that they do that with their debut and those bands have usually been playing with each other for a while.
06:26 AM on 06/28/11
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
User Info.
Album lacks any hint of creativity or uniqueness. So bland. What are you doing John Nolan??
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums