Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 338
06:08 AM on 07/01/11
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
This doesn't look anything like a death sentence. yeesh.
Oh well, atleast I'll get to see them again today, be it for the last time or not.
06:08 AM on 07/01/11
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
This doesn't look anything like a death sentence. yeesh.
Oh well, atleast I'll get to see them again today, be it for the last time or not.
06:14 AM on 07/01/11
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think the part that kills me about this album it's the vocals. Instrumentally the album is really strong, but the vocals just dont do out for me. I really wanted to like this album more than I do.
06:24 AM on 07/01/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. I didn't dislike this one per say, but it's certainly a regression considering the potential exhibited on their prior material. I'll rock it for the summer though.
06:30 AM on 07/01/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I still haven't gotten my copy in the mail, but the more I hear about the album, the more worried I am. I've only listened to Certain and Calaveras extensively and I think they are descent tracks. If I enjoyed them, what are the chances I will dig the whole record?
06:45 AM on 07/01/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
harsh review but I agree with a few points that it lacks some of the intensity of previous works. still good though

that being said, "Start The Reactor" is probably the worst song on the album. was pretty happy to find out that and "London Heathrow" are really the only two weak tracks on this.
06:48 AM on 07/01/11
atarisaveskids
User Info.
I bought a physical copy of this album just to support the band because I love all their previous releases. I bought BABE after listening to it a few times and feeling let down and crossing my fingers that it will grow on me. Did not expect this to be as polished, poppy, and in your face as it is. Seems like their live show will diminish and I already feel like they don't have the best stage presence, and this is coming from someone who has loved the band from Reset to now. Still love the band regardless, but still.
06:49 AM on 07/01/11
atarisaveskids
User Info.
My favorite song off the record thus far is "Unconditional"
06:59 AM on 07/01/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
In case it isn't obvious, the last couple of paragraphs were changed today after I read Zack's interview with the band.
I have that kind of power.
06:59 AM on 07/01/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i've been really enjoying this record recently. There's just something about this band (and it's probably the vocalists) that hit my sweet spot every time. When I hear them come through the speakers, i just get happy, even if I didn't know I had been missing them.
07:16 AM on 07/01/11
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
don't be afraid to say it like it is. Internal turmoil, label issues...dude, EVERY BAND GOES THROUGH THIS. You can't cut a band a break because you feel bad for them. Finished product is what matters. The art they put out is what matters. Some bands take adversity and turn it into something great. WOnder Years-Upsides comes to mind. SYG just feels like the wheels are coming off. They made a brilliant album that they can't top. The whole model for the band doesn't work. There's too many dudes in that band, for a pop-punk band. Too many clashes of personality, too many opinions. I said that 3 years ago when I saw them and joked they can all barely fit ont he same stage. I thought their last album sucked (other than the Fallen & Summer Jam and the opening track), i can only imagine how bad this one is.
Mutiny! ripped with sincerity and passion and was so raw. That's what made it appealing. it was real and heartfelt. to coat yourself with gloss and try these meanderings into metalcore and whatever the hell they're doing. it just dilutes what made them appealing in the first place. I'm all for bands changing, but when it's clearly a change for the worse, then who cares.
and the vocals on Mutiny! are pretty bad. it didn't hurt the album. they've spent hte lasst two albums trying to fix things that aren't broken and change things that they think detract from their sound that actually was what made their sound appealing.
sorry for rambling. i'm gonna pass on this oen.
07:19 AM on 07/01/11
i2ockbotm
User Info.
The low review score and general dislike towards this album by AP members is more a testament to how great a pop-punk band SYG established themselves up until the release of BaBE.

If this record were the freshman effort of a new band, I might note some potential and keep an eye on them. But knowing the quality of music SYG has proven themselves capable of in Mutiny and TWBtDoU, there's no way I can feel anything but underwhelmed by BaBE.

It's hard to believe a band that wrote the lyrics in "Work in Progress" and "Echoes" then writes "Product of the 80s" after having several years to mature. And riffs from any song on BaBE aren't as engaging as even the guitar work on last album's one-minute instrumental track.

I'm hoping SYG sticks together and continues writing music. We've seen multiple bands work through a slump of an album and come back stronger.
07:21 AM on 07/01/11
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
In case it isn't obvious, the last couple of paragraphs were changed today after I read Zack's interview with the band.

you can't let personal opinion of the band members themselves affect your opinion of the art they put out. I'm sure they're great guys. Cool dudes. I can sympathize with their struggles. i can feel bad for them. whatever. doesn't change a medicore album into something better. It doesn't merit cutting their new album review a break.

Put your feelings for the band itself aside and just judge the art. it's a review of the album, not the band. If it's bad, it's bad.

thanks for the honest review. But I'd like to see it in its original state.

just saying don't let feelings get in the way of your evaluation. it waters down your objectivity to be even more subjective if you know what i mean. just look at it as an album. i don't care if they're the nicest guys in the world. it's an album review. can't feel guilty about your evaluation.

just my advice. you're a good writer.
07:30 AM on 07/01/11
Charlesieiy
The night just grew its fangs
User Info.
I agree with the review. Absolute regression of sound. I liked it, sort of, but it just isn't up to par with their previous albums.
07:37 AM on 07/01/11
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
I still haven't gotten my copy in the mail, but the more I hear about the album, the more worried I am. I've only listened to Certain and Calaveras extensively and I think they are descent tracks. If I enjoyed them, what are the chances I will dig the whole record?
my advice is don't read any more reviews or ask people's opinions or you'll start hearing the record already thinking it's gonna suck, and that ruins a lot of the pleasure. maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos