Username
Password
Taking Back Sunday News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Taking Back Sunday
Inside AP.net

Shaun Cooper Talks TBS Reformation

Posted by: Matthew Tsai (07/03/11)
In a new interview, Shaun Cooper of Taking Back Sunday discusses how the original lineup got back together.
InterviewWell, I think after (2009 album) New Again everyone in the band was pretty miserable with the way the direction of the band was going. They did a bunch of touring and didn’t know what to do anymore. I think Adam thought the band was about to come to an end. Mark (drummer O’Connell) was saying they were so miserable. He said, “Either we let John and Shaun back in the band, or I can’t do it anymore.”

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 175.
11:04 AM on 07/03/11
deFobbed14yrs
Legal Drug Dealer
User Info.
That AP article was intense. They all shat on the Matts' lives.
11:06 AM on 07/03/11
WishYouAway
User Info.
Some of the speculation in this interview is a little bit uncomfortable.
11:15 AM on 07/03/11
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Oof. The part about the Matts was just awkwardly honest. Some of the things this band says/does just doesn't sit right with me at all.
11:18 AM on 07/03/11
Macbeth.
User Info.
Hmm, well that was inappropriate of Shaun to say. Mark could have revealed some of that, but I don't think it was really Shaun's place...should have stuck with his excitement to be back instead of having to shit on the situation he wasn't even involved in

PS I think both Matt's would agree its much more than just a "job they did"
11:19 AM on 07/03/11
MathewHeroic
Mathew Barletta
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As much as I like John and Shaun, in my opinion the best record they made was Where You Want To Be. I just can't get in to the single. Which isn't to say "Oh the band changed". Dallas Green's recent interview made a great point - I think that maybe I have changed, in addition to the band.

And regardless of life, Matt Rubano is a fucking BEAST and one of the best bassists around for this genre. So stoked he's playing with PStump
11:21 AM on 07/03/11
DrewDouglas
User Info.
"We wanted this to be our career-defining record."

I dont get that one at all. How can you be apart for so many years and then presumably make a career-defining record. I believe TAYF is career defining. But maybe im missing the point.
11:38 AM on 07/03/11
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
They kinda failed in making a 'career-defining record'. It's good, but nothing amazing.
11:58 AM on 07/03/11
The Brews
User Info.
career defining doesn't necessarily mean good. i think it did a pretty good job at defining the band, pretty much mediocre other than TAYF.
12:09 PM on 07/03/11
notmrblond234
let's make a movie or something
User Info.
It feels like most TBS fans are never going to be satisfied, no matter what material they put out. I seriously dont understand the hate.
12:26 PM on 07/03/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
So many assumptions being made in this thread
12:27 PM on 07/03/11
Ryan Rumsey
Good Business Moves
User Info.
I recommend reading the AP article. It was so honest. Plus you get to hear from both sides. It really made me not like Mark very much though.
12:32 PM on 07/03/11
zachh1ll
monkey calling
User Info.
Yes, too many stupid assumptions.
This is their career defining record. TAYF is not. It was not supposed to sound like it did, the production staff just overproduced it and that's how we got it. They've said that plenty of times before. TAYF was also written when they were immature 18 year olds. Now they are mature and they needed a record that stated their maturity as musicians and as people. And that's exactly what we got.
12:33 PM on 07/03/11
zachh1ll
monkey calling
User Info.
I recommend reading the AP article. It was so honest. Plus you get to hear from both sides. It really made me not like Mark very much though.

Of all the people not to like it was Mark? I don't understand that, he was the nicest one throughout the whole thing. I would say Eddie would be the one that I would say is the most hateful.
12:33 PM on 07/03/11
zachh1ll
monkey calling
User Info.

Of all the people not to like it was Mark? I don't understand that, he was the nicest one throughout the whole thing. I would say Eddie would be the one that I would say is the most hateful.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests