AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Hands On The Stereo - Teamwork Makes The... Album Cover

Hands On The Stereo - Teamwork Makes The...

Reviewed by
Hands On The StereoTeamwork Makes The Dream Work EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 5, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Not unlike beloved acts such as Set Your Goals and Four Year Strong, Hands On The Stereo make pop-punk music blended with hardcore influences. For only their second EP, Teamwork Makes The Dream Work is a solid continuing start for the group. The dual vocals are pleasing, the drums are loud and thunderous, and the guitar work is top notch, making the EP quite an enjoyable 17 minutes of music. Not to mention, the enlistment of Mike Oettinger, the producer behind Transit's Keep This to Yourself and Man Overboard's Real Talk, as the mastermind behind the record adds to the credibility and more importantly quality of the sound here.

The opening “Ladder Match” encompasses everything a listener wants in the genre – it’s got the chants, loud guitars, and solid hooks. The single “Into It, Over It” shows off the skill of the guitar players as the chemistry between vocalists Christopher Cunha and Matthew Trawinksi is really focused on throughout the track. Remarkably different vocally than the other tracks, “Slumberjack” has an almost Bayside feel, while “You’ve Never Been to South of the Border?” is a guitar-driven rocker from beginning to end.

The final “’Til Death Do Us Part” will please fans of Man Overboard’s acoustic work, as this acoustic end of the record adds even more diversity to Hands On The Stereo’s sound. As it fades out, one thing is certain from this EP, Hands On The Stereo aren’t planning to let any genre boundaries define their sound – or rather limit their abilities. Experimenting with various vocal styles and musical techniques throughout these five tracks, Hands On The Stereo prove they have a lot of potential to really become something in the future.

Recommended If You LikeSet Your Goals; Four Year Strong; Man Overboard; Transit

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Ladder Match
2. Into It, Over It
3. Slumberjack
4. You’ve Never Been to South of the Border?
5. ‘Til Death Do Us Part

Hands On The Stereo are:
Christopher Cunha – Vocals
Robert Bednarz – Guitar
David Falcone – Guitar
Corey Reilly-Davis – Bass
Matthew Trawinski – Drums, Vocals

Bandcamp

Follow Me On Twitterhttp://www.twitter.com/RyanGardnerC

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
12:54 AM on 07/05/11
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
Just downloaded it :) Didnt know I get it digitally before my physical copy arrives, pretty cool!
It's obviously no AOTY, but very solid as I expected. Still excited for a possible Full Length.

P.S. Slumberjack seems to really stand out for me. Love that style.
02:11 AM on 07/05/11
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
Haven't bought it yet (due to funds) but listened on bandcamp. Not as clean-sounding as the first Ep but its pretty good, but look forward to spinning it in the car.

Edit: Listened a second time, the production works really well for the band, might be even catchier than the self-titled EP!
07:43 AM on 07/05/11
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
nice review! love this band endlessly
08:56 AM on 07/05/11
supkayte
my name is trouble.
User Info.
This is well deserved for such a nice group of guys. I love the first EP, and from what I've heard of the new one, it's amazing.
12:43 PM on 07/05/11
DemBitties
I ended up as food for wolves
User Info.
I love Cunha and his beard. <3
01:23 PM on 07/05/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
It's spitting out ridiculous frequency.
08:34 PM on 07/05/11
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
Totally solid. Loved the first EP. Great follow up.
04:03 PM on 07/08/11
tylerschnizzle
Freelance Thinker
User Info.
shhh

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT