AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Future Of Forestry - Twilight Album Cover

Future Of Forestry - Twilight

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Future Of Forestry - Twilight
Release Date: January 23, 2007
Record Label: Credential Recordings

Future Of Forestry have been generating a nice amount of buzz on the West Coast recently, selling out shows to eager rock fans and receiving praise from a few publications. The San Diego quartet released their debut album, Twilight, this past January on Credential Recordings. A very positive and clean record, it is produced by Ken Andrews and lead singer and guitarist Eric Owyoung. The record flows very nicely and has a slick sound throughout.

The name “Future Of Forestry” was taken from a poem from author C.S. Lewis, and while it’s worth noting that Future Of Forestry is a Christian rock band, anyone can listen and enjoy this record, regardless of what you believe. A dreamy and atmospheric listen through and through, each track is carefully constructed and can be compared to The Fray at times. The leadoff track, “Open Wide,” soars and has riveting chorus, and while the title track is minimal in instrumentation, the execution is beautiful. “Speak To Me Gently” is an acoustic number and “Thinking Of You” highlights the drumming of Spencer Kim and the chorus is hits hard. “Sacred Place” is driven by thick key notes and striking drumming. “You And I” is the fastest and poppiest song on record, while “If You Find Her” is a folky jangle. “Stay Beside Me” is a fine uplifting closer, but lyrically it may be too religious for those who don’t believe the same as the band.

To sum it up, this is a decent debut that’ll be eaten up by fans of The Fray and Keane. The key issues in the album are that it runs a bit long on some tracks and the staying power is weak. Some of the album is filler tracks as well. But Future Of Forestry are very talented and if they can be a bit more precise and to the point on their next album, they could be a hit. The disc is full of hits and misses, as Twilight is an alright album to put on when relaxing, as musically it can carry you on into the night.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Open Wide
2. All I Want
3. Twilight
4. Speak To Me Gently
5. Thinking Of You
6. Sunrising
7. Sacred Place
8. You And I
9. Sanctitatis
10. If You Find Her
11. Gazing
12. Stay Beside Me
Produced by: Ken Andrews and Eric Owyoung

Future Of Forestry are:
Eric Owyoung - lead Vocals / guitar / keys
Nick Maybury - guitar / vocals / keys
Luke Floeter - bass / keys
Spencer Kim – drums

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
10:26 AM on 05/03/07
bankrom
breakin' up.
User Info.
i listened to this record through twice and it never grabbed me... good comps, though (fray, keane).
12:35 PM on 05/03/07
ImAsian5
User Info.
i like owyoung, but i think its just stay at like,
05:37 PM on 05/03/07
rnord
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
68%???? you're kidding right? this overall is one of the best cd's i've gotten all year. i've lost track how many times i've listened to it and i can't get tired of it. i have to say i completely do not agree with this review. and what about "sanctititas" and "gazing"? two great songs from the album that are certainly not fillers.
04:31 PM on 05/04/07
irishpunk14
User Info.
it isn't bad.
09:58 PM on 05/09/07
heyjohnnyfive
johnholcomb.com
User Info.
I enjoy this record.
03:01 PM on 06/28/07
tacosforcharles
User Info.
Nice review...I'll be seeing these guys on sunday with The Fold, so if I like what I hear there I'll probably pick up the album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos