AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Victory at Last - Victory at Last Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.7
Musicianship 9.3
Lyrics 10.2
Production 9.25
Creativity 10.1
Lasting Value 8.35
Reviewer Tilt 9.7
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Victory at Last - Victory at Last

Reviewed by: TheHeretic (05/03/07)
Victory at Last - Victory at Last
Released: 22 May 2007

Every once in a while, a fervent music aficionado like myself comes across an unsigned band that immediately evokes something special. A sound that just stimulates the ears positively on first listen. A band that makes you wonder why on earth a label hasn't discovered them. Nashville, Tennessee's melodic rock band Victory at Last is one of those bands.

I came across this band when drummer Kyle Adams urged people on the "The Receiving End of Sirens" message-board to take a listen, since they claimed it to be influenced by the band in question. It immediately received very positive response. A lot has happened since that post, now a solid year and half ago. The band is releasing their self-titled debut EP independently at the end of this month, but has the songs up for online purchase in advance.

Let me put this first and foremost. This EP is a stellar breath of fresh air. It is a discreetly hidden gem in the current rock scene and makes one wonder why some bands with this amount of musical talent haven't been discovered yet.

The EP starts off with the incredibly catchy 'Jury's Got the Verdict' and immediately you can hear the powerful guitars, thumping bass and slick drums combined with vocalist Adam Berkowicz's crisp and original voice. His vocals have a very Claudio Sanchez-y vibe to it, both being able to reach an incredible pitch and having a similar original voice. Overall, I think the band generally sounds more influenced by Coheed and Cambria than The Receiving End of Sirens. What becomes ostensible as well, is the poignant and strong lyrical ability of the band. Lines such as 'You've got everyone fooled to a tee, you look like you're special, but you can't fool me, maybe I'm going crazy, but I think you're abstaining little lady' are easily able to get stuck in your head.

The EP continues with 'Revolution Tonight', which has an entirely different feel to it right from the start. It commences rather softly, but after that it breaks down into a intricate rock anthem that doesn't bore for a single second. The third song 'the Confession' has a very epic feel to it. The vocals are even more powerful and reach the EP's vocal acme in many ways. It also showcases a meticulously fitting guitar solo in the bridge which deserves some credit as well. 'Radio Jam' is a very upbeat, thumping rock song with, yet again, a very catchy chorus. The song features no aberration in style, but manages to create a unique feel to it from the other songs. And it seems like Victory At Last succeeds in doing this with every song. The fifth song is easily the best song on this debut. 'What Lies Beneath' has a very ambient, emotional feel to it, which is incredibly pleasurable to listen to. The lyrics are yet again captivating and show a great amount of depth. It shows their incredible musical and lyrical talent and their incredible potential.

The EP closes with 'Point Where the Worlds Collide', which provides for the ending this EP deserves. The strengths of the previous songs all blend together for one final encore.

I have seldom been this impressed with an EP by a relatively unknown band. The masterfully skilled instrumentation, the intricate lyrics and fresh vocals combine for a more than stunning debut. 'Victory at Last' showcases amazing potential and I prophetize a very bright future for these five gentlemen.

Tracklisting
1. Jury's Got the Verdict
2. Revolution Tonight
3. The Confession
4. Radio Jam
5. What Lies Beneath
6. Point Where the Worlds Collide

www.victoryatlast.net
www.myspace.com/victoryatlasttn
www.purevolume.com/victoryatlasttn

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
06:02 PM on 05/04/07
dmlax08
User Info.
This band is amazing.
11:26 AM on 05/12/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Great review. I'm gonna have to check these guys out now. I like EPs as an introduction to bands because they're short and sweet, and it doesn't take a long time to get really acquainted with the songs. Here's yet another album for me to buy on the 22nd.
06:11 PM on 06/08/07
IndieUprising
true indie rock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been playing these guys on my show for the past few weeks. I really love this band.

I'm a huge Coheed & Cambria fan & couldn't help but notice the similarities in the vocals. But, they still hold their own. I'm really looking forward to the future of these talented guys!

.sean
www.indieuprising.net
07:34 AM on 10/06/07
kyleadams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
bump!
04:29 PM on 10/06/07
TheHeretic
User Info.
You're such a whore Kyle lol.
03:15 PM on 02/04/08